Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ark

ARK: Survival Evolved

So is there anyone interested in this? http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/
    I would like to have a group to play with, considering its not meant to play solo.
    Last edited by Noisy; 01-06-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Network Hub
    Looks pretty cool. If i wasn't about to go away with work I would be up for trying it. Maybe when i get back in August.
    "Tread Softly and Carry a Big Gun."

PS 2 - Drexla
    Steam - Drexla
    BattleNet - Drexla#2236
    Origin ​- Garveyc
    Wildstar - Drexla

I watched a stream for an hour, the graphics look amazing, the game seems like Rust with a twist which scares me because I think like Rust when you log off you just sit there like a chest waiting for a wanderer to come by and loot you. Game looks and sounds amazing and the skill tree looks huge with loads of resources to collect. I hope it turns out better than The Stomping Lands. If the price is right I will clearly jump on this early access but if not then I will wait.

Activated Node
    Watched a couple of streams of this and played for an hour or so on a laggy Russian private server. The game definitely has a bunch of performance issues and does not look particularly enticing on ~45fps settings but there is still some interesting survival content and of course the possibility for assembling your own dino army.

I don't know if there are going to be official EU servers any time soon, the only official ones my game could find had 110+ ping. A ton of private servers are already online but those might have other issues.

In any case, seems that playing on any of the larger servers really requires a group. Otherwise your building/taming efforts are easily wasted by griefers or kill-on-sighters. If there's any interest and we can find a suitable EU server, I'd be up for grouping up. I have gathered a fair bit of useful info on starting a new character and progressing in the game so I could also help out any totally new players.

well, tried it out a bit... sorry to say, but it is not playable at this stage :( need to give them some time to fix some major problems

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Noisy View Post
    well, tried it out a bit... sorry to say, but it is not playable at this stage :( need to give them some time to fix some major problems
    I'm curious what problems you've encountered? I'm umming and ahhing over this.
    Steam: Dilapinated

I am up for playing this, I've been playing with a buddy from work this weekend and pplayed for 16 hours straight. It's safe to say I'm addicted! :D

The only gameplay issues I had were the frame rate was really low when I started, I was getting 5-10 FPS on all graphics settings, however they patched it a few hours later and I was getting 30-40 FPS with no issues on High settings.

I'm loving it, it's probably the best game I've played in some time and that's coming from someone who has spent the last few weeks playing The Witcher 3 at every oppertunity.

The only other issue I've had is that the official server I was playing on all day yesterday has been completely full all evening so I had to start a new character on another server. However the one I ended up on was full of high level players roaming around killing everyone on sight.
    If anyone is running their own or is playing on a good server please let me know as I would love to join you, there's nothing quite like the experience of playing with decent human beings that don't try to ruin other peoples fun. :D

*edit* There are now official EU servers, a lot of them in fact.
    Also I am now getting a consistent 30-40 FPS on High settings with a GTX 970, so if you have a lower end card you may need to lower some settings, however the devs seems to release updates all the time that keep improving the performance and optimization so it's looking really good right now.

Here's a couple of screen shots I've taken over the last two days if anyone is interested.

A quiet walk on the beach

My tamed Giant Tortoise with my buddy catching a lift

My shack in the woods

Also some shenanigans:
    Last edited by Carpe_Dentum; 12-06-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    Steam: Carpe Dentum

Currently Playing:
    Elite Dangerous
    Terraria

Currently Listening to:
    Hancock's Half Hour

Activated Node
    I've been playing some as well on strict "no KOS" private servers and have had no trouble with the PvP. The patches have been coming in rapidly and it seems that on proper EU servers with the version 171.6 the crazy rubberbanding issues have been at least partially solved. This makes the fast carnivores actually scary on lower levels, so no more fist fighting raptors. If only they'd fix the bow melee, things might get challenging.

I'd say that the game performance still needs a lot of work. I'm running it at ~30 fps with a modest setup (2nd gen i7 + 290) and a mixture of medium/high settings. The worst thing is that when the game is loading a new area with a lot of activity the FPS drops down to 1-5 for a few seconds. Basically if you are in combat at the time, you're as good as dead.

It's been fun for a couple of days and I'll definitely play more but I'm not necessarily sure about the longevity of the game. The jungle seems actually scary at night when you have basically nothing, but that goes away relatively quickly when you saddle up and get some basic gear. Feels to me that after 20 or so levels you are only threatened by a freak concentration of high level creatures or other players if you plan ahead. I'm also not all that keen on the caves or the boss summoning "end game". With a few balance tweaks the PvE could become really interesting though. Having to actually ambush and trap the more dangerous creatures would be much more interesting than just plowing your raptor to them head on.

The game definitely has dozens of hours of really fun exploration and leveling content even if you are not all that interested in PvP or the higher level content. Also it is really addictive if you are prone to that with games, so watch out.

Oh bugger....

Currently Playing:
    Elite Dangerous
    Terraria

Currently Listening to:
    Hancock's Half Hour

Their just looking for his father:

If I ever manage to tame one, it will be named Bruce! :P

Currently Playing:
    Elite Dangerous
    Terraria

Currently Listening to:
    Hancock's Half Hour

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I'm keen to play with people, yea. I have no clue what I'm doing but it's pretty and enjoyable!
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    ClementAtlee, Planetside 2, Miller VS
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

There seems to be a few people in the comments of the article on the main page and people here that might be looking to team up with people, so; If anyone is interested I'm currently playing on the Unofficial server (UK) Vengeance. Be aware that it is a PvP server and all your stuff could get destroyed at a moments notice, however they seem like a friendly bunch and I've only had one run in with people trying to kill me on sight....and that's only because they thought I was the person that had attacked them.

Other than that the only other incident was a guy building his base down the beach from us accidentally killed a Trike we were taming...however we called it even as earlier on I had inadvertently kited a Carno to his base, which after killing me proceeded to tear holes in it trying to get to him. :P

If you are interested in joining in send me a message on Steam. :D
    Last edited by Carpe_Dentum; 12-06-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Currently Playing:
    Elite Dangerous
    Terraria

Currently Listening to:
    Hancock's Half Hour

Anybody who is in North American timezones and wants to team up let me know.

Nim

It's been a busy weekend for me on Ark, got me some new friends!

My new Raptor and I enjoying a sunrise

My newest mount, I'm looking forward to trying out the poison mechanic properly. :D

The whole gang

Currently Playing:
    Elite Dangerous
    Terraria

Currently Listening to:
    Hancock's Half Hour

nice screens :)

I could not get it on decent FPS even on lowest settings. So I guess ill wait for some time, and try it again someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy View Post
    nice screens :)

I could not get it on decent FPS even on lowest settings. So I guess ill wait for some time, and try it again someday.
    Thanks, it is a great looking game. :D

If you've not tried it since Friday, give it anther go. They released a large patch on Friday night/Saturday that, among other things, improved the performance. You might find that it's now running better for you.

Currently Playing:
    Elite Dangerous
    Terraria

Currently Listening to:
    Hancock's Half Hour

good to know, will give it a try .

It would be really cool if you guys could post some feedback on performance.

So you know: System specs, ingame graphics settings, general information about your performance, etc.

Nim

Hi Nim

Well I'm running a i7 2500K, 16GB RAM and a GTX 970 and get roughly 30FPS on the High graphics setting running at 2560x1440. The only change I made was disabling the Occulsion, tuning shadows down to medium, reducing the ground clutter (only because it's easier to see backpacks when you are searching for your stuff after a respawn) and reducing the Sky quality.

I could probably get more FPS if I dropped the quality down a bit but to be honest I can live with 30FPS until they optimise a bit more. Baring in mind that when I started playing last week I was getting a max of 10FPS, it's running much better now(even if I have in fact lost frames since one of the updates, I was getting 40+ FPS. Hopefully they will get it back there soon). :D
    Last edited by Carpe_Dentum; 17-06-2015 at 07:10 AM.

Currently Playing:
    Elite Dangerous
    Terraria

Currently Listening to:
    Hancock's Half Hour