Page 13 of 114 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Placing JG's portal made me think once again of a subject I discussed with a few people a while back - namely that of splitting the hub network up more. 21 clicks to a gate destination is ridiculous!

When I get a chance I'll map out all the gates linked from the core hubs, and see what would result if we split them up into N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW hubs (or suggestions on other possible layouts? EG we have two rings of hubs, an inner and outer?).

If I can come up with a reasonable layout, would people be behind me doing this?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbster View Post
    Placing JG's portal made me think once again of a subject I discussed with a few people a while back - namely that of splitting the hub network up more. 21 clicks to a gate destination is ridiculous!

When I get a chance I'll map out all the gates linked from the core hubs, and see what would result if we split them up into N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW hubs (or suggestions on other possible layouts? EG we have two rings of hubs, an inner and outer?).

If I can come up with a reasonable layout, would people be behind me doing this?
    I do like the idea of breaking up the gates. Perhaps we could keep the existing N/S/E/W hubs, but have two gates at each hub instead of 1. For example, once you get to south hub, there would be a SW portal and a SE portal. You could either add a third portal for destinations in the middle, or just put them on SE or SW so the hub will be less crowded. Another suggestion - put the portal at newspawn on the central network. The market is nice, but going there first feels like an unnecessary step. It will be a nice compromise for the people that hate newspawn (not saying i do). Oh, and feel free to include my gates in the maps.

Reorganising the gates sounds like a good idea, but rather than making N, NE, E, SE, SW, W, NW hubs I'd suggest we should make a "Central Hub" for all the portals around RPS Nova and it's outskirts and then just keep the N, E, S, W hubs. Of course we could simply put 2 portals at every hub and call them "Northern Hub 1" and "Northern Hub 2". Just as an example.

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Network Hub
    Genius Rusty - such an obvious idea now you've explained it to me. Next time I'm on I'll peruse the individual hubs to see how much work would be required to split them into 2 or even 3 gates. I prefer the idea of 3, since it adds no additional time choosing the correct gate to the current system, but means far fewer destinations per gate.

As far as the new spawn gate system, I must admit I agree. It's certainly something worth discussing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Having it numbered makes a lot of sense. You potentially have unlimited expansions then as, as mentioned, there's no limit to how many additions are made. Additionally, all you need to be able to do is return to that local hub to be able to access everywhere again.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Wait, what the hell...
    How didnt I see rusty's post?
    It's basically what I was thinking...
    God, I'm stupid posting the same idea again. Credit goes to rusty.

In terms of pure practicality I think it would be best to have a single dedicated hub, like the Nexus. You could have some permanently on gates to major destinations such as the market and spawn, and then 2 or 3 of the standard multi-choice gates for each of the compass points. You could also have some gates to people's private networks if they wanted them. With the right design it would be easy to navigate.

Obscure Node
    Are "permanently on" gates stable now? I would hope so... it's been months now that they have been working on that.

They are stable, Jon.
    We are using one that connects to the Nether and one that connects to the new market.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Regarding the Nether, how free is it to go there and mine? Obviously steering clear of building sites, but if I wanted to grab some netherrack, could I just go off somewhere and take some? (Not that I'll be doing that soon, just curious)
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Of course you can do that. I'd suggest you make a mine for this purpose, though, as it's rather dangerous to mine it on the surface (Ghasts everywhere).

Quote Originally Posted by Jonbas View Post
    Are "permanently on" gates stable now? I would hope so... it's been months now that they have been working on that.
    I never knew there were any issues with them, but we've had a couple for a few weeks now with no problems that I know of.

Obscure Node
    Just posting to say that you might see me around on the server. Eltagno put me on the probation whitelist.
    I got back into minecraft recently after some playing on and off since february. Before that I ran a small amazon based server for a group of friends and I especially remember the feeling of getting lost in huge underground cave systems. Now I'd like to build more and be creative.
    In real life I'm a computer science (master/soon to be phd) student in germany.
    Happy crafting and building!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by El Stevo View Post
    In terms of pure practicality I think it would be best to have a single dedicated hub, like the Nexus. You could have some permanently on gates to major destinations such as the market and spawn, and then 2 or 3 of the standard multi-choice gates for each of the compass points. You could also have some gates to people's private networks if they wanted them. With the right design it would be easy to navigate.
    Practicality isn't the only big deal here - I don't think anyone really is unhappy with the current hubs set-up, its just getting a bit unwieldy for the sheer number of gates. Also, I do think the Market, while being an acceptable entrance to RPS Nova, isn't really achieving anything other than being a delay as a necessary step. I'd go back to what we originally planned - the gate in new spawn leads to the hubs and the market (and maybe remove n00b castle while we are at it?).

My thoughts for the gates was simple - we divide by general region, and list alphabetically. Having seen the gates file, i think it would be a lot easier to actually reorganise the gates in a text editor (remember, we are only talking about the hub-based gates here!).

My current proposals, in summary then, are:

1) Add in new gates at the NESW hubs, split into regions. Gates are listed alphabetically (I can update this monthly or something - won't be a big deal cos each gate will only end up with maybe 8 or so listings). The hubs will need a bit of work, but there's definitely space in each of them (I checked today).
    2) Revert new spawn gate back to a standard one, which lists the hubs, plus a central one.
    3) RPS Nova market sticks in a second (or more if needed) gate with links to the centrally located gates (IE it becomes the central hub location)

I'll try to draw up a map tonight indicating roughly where I think the regions should be. It'll be based on my month-old gate map, so we can see where (if at all) gates are concentrated.

Did I get this right?
    You don't want to build extra hubs for NE, SE, SW and NW but you still want to organise the 2 or 3 portals at each existing hub by the regions?

Wouldn't it be much easier and especially more cleary arranged if we would just add the central network, make 2 portals at each existing hub and then just sort it by the alphabet. For example "Northern Hub 1" contains all gates from A-M and "Northern Hub 2" contains all gates from N-Z. I'd prefer that method, so people can search by the alphabet when they look for a specific gate.

Network Hub
    Ok, so after playing around a bit, Gerb and I have found this setup to be rather workable for individual sub stations (like say the South Sub): 4 gates set in a square with their signs/buttons on the inside, 1 gate connects to the Central Network and the other 3 gates are divided in groups by first letter (like say # and A-H first gate, I-Q second, and R-Z third). This setup looks nice (condensed space and legal placement as far as plugin is concerned; we tried some trickery but plugin rejected) and is easy to use (you get deposited in the middle-ish of the square and only need spin in-place to see all four).

Using letters isn't future-proof in terms of growth, basically kicking the can down the road, but it's a long road so we'll likely be fine. Using numbers and limiting the amount of connections to an individual gate is future-proof (hard limit of like 10 connections to a gate, adding new numbered sub gates as needed) but ends up being ugly and not nicely sorted by letter. So I concur going by letter is better, though individual sets themselves might not be alphabetized, just grouped in a set (ie A-H and all that). Done to North Sub for example, CasaDeRose and Bodington would be grouped in the first set and Skullbread would be in the third.

As for spawn, the plan for a newspawn (scouting for an appropriate site began February) was always to have it well-away from dense development, the reason being that people can get lag by virtue of being near so much of it. It stems from lighting and rendering issues. Remember: There's a lot of artificially hollowed-out space in, around, and underneath RPS Nova. The client renders and lights EVERYTHING around a player, regardless if they can see it or not. Having newspawn like 20 tiles away from oldspawn in the middle of RPS Nova defeats the whole purpose of having a newspawn in the first place. Having the market as the gate to RPS Nova is a good idea as my oldspawn hut is and always was shit (I didn't build it for looks, I built it for OMG CREEPERS RUN! since at the time we hadn't mob-proofed yet) so I won't be missing it. We had planned on Noob Castle being the permanent spawn location like we had it on the M3 map, but that was before we realized the lag issue.

I hope people find all this acceptable. Further input?

Now we only need a border for the central network. For example 20 chunks away from RPS center or 40 chunks away etc.
    Last edited by Comrade Commissar; 07-07-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Network Hub
    Once I can get my hands on the latest gate list, we can define the center easily enough - just expanding it to include a decent amount of gates.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DRoseDARs View Post
    As for spawn, the plan for a newspawn (scouting for an appropriate site began February) was always to have it well-away from dense development, the reason being that people can get lag by virtue of being near so much of it. It stems from lighting and rendering issues. Remember: There's a lot of artificially hollowed-out space in, around, and underneath RPS Nova. The client renders and lights EVERYTHING around a player, regardless if they can see it or not. Having newspawn like 20 tiles away from oldspawn in the middle of RPS Nova defeats the whole purpose of having a newspawn in the first place. Having the market as the gate to RPS Nova is a good idea as my oldspawn hut is and always was shit (I didn't build it for looks, I built it for OMG CREEPERS RUN! since at the time we hadn't mob-proofed yet) so I won't be missing it. We had planned on Noob Castle being the permanent spawn location like we had it on the M3 map, but that was before we realized the lag issue.

I hope people find all this acceptable. Further input?
    Doesn't forcing players to pass through RPSNova via the market cancel out the whole no lag idea? I do agree that the market is a nice entrance, but having to travel through it to get to somewhere else seems counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbster View Post
    Once I can get my hands on the latest gate list, we can define the center easily enough - just expanding it to include a decent amount of gates.
    So does this mean that we will have a central network for the gates near Nova?

Network Hub
    As I currently understand things:
    Central Network (non-physical) connects to=
    ---Spawn (1 gate at location), Central Substation (4 gates at location), NSEW Substations (4 gates at each location)
    Central Substation (physical location)=
    ---1 Central Network gate; 3 Alphabet gates leading to: RPS Nova, Public Mine, whomever has a public gate
    NSEW Substations (physical locations)=
    ---1 Central Network gate; 3 alphabet gates leading to: Whomever has a public gate

In the above setup, from Spawn you can get to all 4 cardinal substations plus the central one. I am uncertain about the location for the Central Substation. Perhaps a modest remodel at Spawn to combine both and have 4 gates there instead of just the one? I think that would work just fine, perhaps hollow out a small room behind the current one way gate to make a 4 gate room.

Bah, lunch break just ended.