Page 106 of 114 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 2273
    Obscure Node
    anyone got an idea about when the server are going to be updated to 1.6.2 ? Miss playing on this server ._.

You can easily downgrade your client to the server version with the new profile manager if you still want to play on it. Though the server does seem fairly dead recently.

More importantly I think the server is getting to a stage soon where we are missing a lot of new vanilla features. New biomes coming, no witch huts etc things like that. No easy way to add those things I guess bar starting again or extending the map once more.

Network Hub
    I think given the size of the map, and thep ossibility of new updates, a map expansion might make sense, but only a small one (maybe a 1km strip to the west or something, as that is actually a whopping 16km squared).

Is there an element of risk involved with that? Like getting 16km/2 of sea? Im claiming one of the witch huts if we do do it so we can build a public redstone/glowstone farm which in turn should reduce the amount of trips to the nether for glowstone possibly reducing the server crashes.

Network Hub
    Well sure there is a risk of that - this is actually why I chose the west side not the east - the new lands shows we are far more likely to get a big stretch of sea to the east of it than the west. If it does go horribly wrong, we could probably strip it back out and pick another direction, I guess.

Obscure Node
    your suggestion about to give a note about what version the server is running at is suitable than the people think that the server is not working

Obscure Node
    Hey guys,
    I guess the server is down again ( cant visit the tourist board, too ).
    Minecraft says 'Can't resolve hostname'
    I hope it'll be fixed soon ;)

Greetings

Hi all,

The server is up, but we're having DNS issues again. I'll get onto gingerbeast to fix it. For the time being use the following address instead: ns207217.ovh.net

Possible 1.6.2 update on Sunday if I have time. Sorry it hasn't been sooner, but I've had a busy summer.

Network Hub
    Starting post edited to reflect new info.

Also, hi all. :)

Network Hub
    Wotcha, how be you? Hope you don't have any nasty memories of that twat trying to run you off the road :s
    I hope to have time to get back into ye game next week - been missing it a lot (so many ongoing projects to finish!) but work has intruded massively :(

I did make a post yesterday but it must of not worked properly.

Basically it was along the lines of 1.7 snapshots so far look awesome with all the new biomes, items, materials etc.

Excited to see how they develop. Will take a quite a bit of map extension to get all the different biomes in if that's the eventual plan..

Are there actually new biomes? I thought they were just changing how they were arranged. (No more vast oceans, making it so snow biomes are less likely to generate right next to deserts, etc.)

All new biomes too.

Covered Forests
    Ice Plains
    Mesa Hills
    Savanna
    Swampland has been re-done and a few others
    Also some of the hills now extend up to near 200 block height.

Rain also turns to snow at a certain height now too and covers all mountains.

That's what I can remember, there are a few more too im sure.

This vid has most of it in it seems apart from the mesa biome which was bugged at the time.

Oh and battle dragons..
    Last edited by purdz; 07-09-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Network Hub
    OK gotta say I'm finally excited for an update :D

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbster View Post
    OK gotta say I'm finally excited for an update :D
    It does seem like a fairly substantial update to the base land generation.

So then we have to start asking map expansion questions.

And the first and primary issue that goes with that is that we live on someone else's disc space.

So that has to be taken into consideration.

The general feeling in my big fat gut is that I wouldn't be particularly concerned if there was a do-over on the new lands.

By that I mean take remove the new lands (along the same original boundary) and let them re generate with the new biome code.

Yes many of us have built alot of shiz down there (myself included) but in all honesty looking back, the eastern seas (even thou I am pro them in principle) is an awful waste of map space.

I dunno. Something to think about. As always I will survive whatever the outcome.
    Last edited by Wubble69; 08-09-2013 at 06:24 PM.

I only have stuff in the new lands so that would be a bit of a shame. Especially for some of my machines.

I guess a whole server restart would be off the cards? A completely vanilla server from scratch would be fun again.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by purdz View Post
    I only have stuff in the new lands so that would be a bit of a shame. Especially for some of my machines.

I guess a whole server restart would be off the cards? A completely vanilla server from scratch would be fun again.
    I'm just throwing ideas out there. I have no real authority in the matter one way or the other.

Certainly if we went down that route I'd be happy to spend some time relocating the more complex machines somewhere safe in the old lands for a short time.

As for a clean start from scratch I think that's highly unlikely since the usp of the server is that is it "OLD" and that's on purpose.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    How much disk space does the map actually take up? I figured pretty low, but 256*4000*8000 (or whatever the dimensions of the world are) is actually kinda big, especially as it's likely a couple of bytes per coordinate - although maybe empty locations don't take up data, which would make it a bit better.
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

The backup was around 2Gb when I downloaded it last I think..

All previously loaded chunks take up space I believe so its the complete area that you can see on the live map and I'm sure a little bit outside of the border too as they would have been generated by someone standing on that border. Even the empty areas (building wise) will have been generated by someone visiting there.

Feel free to tell me that I'm wrong though :p

Quote Originally Posted by Wubble69 View Post

Certainly if we went down that route I'd be happy to spend some time relocating the more complex machines somewhere safe in the old lands for a short time.

As for a clean start from scratch I think that's highly unlikely since the usp of the server is that is it "OLD" and that's on purpose.
    Yeah that is true, Though I don't think many people in the new lands(fairly old now!) would be happy (if they still visit the server that is) that all their buildings etc had gone yet the buildings in the old old lands that mostly haven't been visited in a long long time had survived.

IMO if it could be done, everything east of Rich's pyramid gets relocated and then the terrain gets regenerated from there maybe including the area around the south hub all the way towards charleston, most of it is sea anyway. Again i'm not sure how much work that would be but the continent around the north hub and west hub all the way up to Lands End has definitely seen the most development and it would be a shame to lose it.

I'm not sure how possible that is and as Wubble says just ideas as I have no say either :)

It would be a shame to lose any buildings but similarly it would be a shame for the server to miss out on such big changes as it would definitely lead to an even smaller regular population I reckon.

All goes down to the issue of disk space I guess.
    Last edited by purdz; 08-09-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Obscure Node
    I've got some buildings in the new lands, but, aside from the generously-given generator and a few not quite so well built spawn farms (Basically a ladder down to a walled off monster spawner), I'm OK with a reset on the new lands. And I'm not just saying that 'cause I played Bastion a lot ;-)