Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Derp.. whenever yall update let me know so I can come back and start back on my glass fortress from months ago :)

Quote Originally Posted by dotBrain View Post
    Howdy chaps!

I'll happily be back on whenever the update happens. While it's not that hard to swap out the .jar, I've taken it as a blessing in disguise to give me plenty of time / opportunity to sink some time into various single player games I've had lying around.

That said, it's still only one infinitely re-playable game amongst Brink, L4D2, Darkspore. But still gives me a good chunk to actually BEAT some games. :) Look forward to the grand revival! I'm with Xerian, take your time and do it right. These frequent updates have got to be a nightmare I can only imagine.
    It'll be good to have ya' back! Been followin' Nitro ever since you "vanished" ;P.
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
    Oscar Wilde

Excellently maniacal Steampowered automaton.

Also known as Maniac, Maniacal Dane, Ulysses, (Mr)Centauri, Scorpion, Hyperion, Xerrow, Zaerow & a vast landscape of nicknames since lost in time.

Did you hear? Mojang are developing a Xbox 360 and an Android version of Minecraft...
    Great news.... not.

Network Hub
    Having just read the PCGamer article on this, I actually feel better about the news. Notch will remain on the PC development of the game AND is now getting serious about the API development. A select few modders will get special access to help in that effort, so it's not being done in a vacuum.

Activated Node
    So, being awesome as I am, I just made a Stargate/Portal Directory for the server.
    That directory is available here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../edit?hl=en_US

Quote Originally Posted by DRoseDARs View Post
    Having just read the PCGamer article on this, I actually feel better about the news. Notch will remain on the PC development of the game AND is now getting serious about the API development. A select few modders will get special access to help in that effort, so it's not being done in a vacuum.
    But at the same time, he's lost alot of his old enthusiasm (or so it seems) aswell as the fact that hes a godawful coder :p
    -Hes currently just cashing in on his lucky jackpot, it'd seem...
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
    Oscar Wilde

Also known as Maniac, Maniacal Dane, Ulysses, (Mr)Centauri, Scorpion, Hyperion, Xerrow, Zaerow & a vast landscape of nicknames since lost in time.

I chose to post this from a different account because i feel that more attention should be paid to what i have to say than who said it. First of all, i absolutely love this server. I have not encountered another server with a community even close to as awesome as this one. That being said, I take issue with the decisions of some of the people running it. The fact is, that we are just about the only server still running 1.4. The number of active players has seriously declined recently, and i think a big part of that is because the server has not been up to date. I understand and agree that we need to wait for bukkit to update and for things to become stable, but that happened over a week ago. Drose claims that there are other mods that need to be updated, but i'm sure that has happened already (do we even use any non-bukkit mods?). I run a server similar to this one, with a similar list of plugins. Stargates, grief alerts, whitelist/probation, chat plugins, map size limit, LWC, timed restart, etc all work perfectly. What are we waiting for? I think we deserve an honest and exact answer. Waiting for 1.7 or some unnamed mod that may or may not exist just isn't good enough. Mr. Weed and rustyshakelford2 put it nicely, but i think its time someone said what i'm sure they, and others, are thinking. If the current team of admins is unable or unwilling to maintain the server, we need to put someone who can in charge. I would really hate to see this wonderful community go away. I didn't mean for this to sound as dickish as it came out, Jon and the others have in the past done a considerable amount of work for the server, but things change and we need to keep up with those changes. Just my two cents, feel free to yell at me and tell me i'm wrong. No disrespect intended guys. Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Weems View Post
    I chose to post this from a different account because i feel that more attention should be paid to what i have to say than who said it. First of all, i absolutely love this server. I have not encountered another server with a community even close to as awesome as this one. That being said, I take issue with the decisions of some of the people running it. The fact is, that we are just about the only server still running 1.4. The number of active players has seriously declined recently, and i think a big part of that is because the server has not been up to date. I understand and agree that we need to wait for bukkit to update and for things to become stable, but that happened over a week ago. Drose claims that there are other mods that need to be updated, but i'm sure that has happened already (do we even use any non-bukkit mods?). I run a server similar to this one, with a similar list of plugins. Stargates, grief alerts, whitelist/probation, chat plugins, map size limit, LWC, timed restart, etc all work perfectly. What are we waiting for? I think we deserve an honest and exact answer. Waiting for 1.7 or some unnamed mod that may or may not exist just isn't good enough. Mr. Weed and rustyshakelford2 put it nicely, but i think its time someone said what i'm sure they, and others, are thinking. If the current team of admins is unable or unwilling to maintain the server, we need to put someone who can in charge. I would really hate to see this wonderful community go away. I didn't mean for this to sound as dickish as it came out, Jon and the others have in the past done a considerable amount of work for the server, but things change and we need to keep up with those changes. Just my two cents, feel free to yell at me and tell me i'm wrong. No disrespect intended guys. Peace.
    There is the fact that Notch keeps dishing out update after bullshit update after yet another shitty update, there's no absolute way to keep up-to-date, and have a stable server, with all used plugins installed. And if people are desperate for updates, thats quite wierd really. Seeing how theres rarely anything noticeable added... Now thats just my two cents anyway. I would, ofcourse, love to see the server updated, but I dont care all that much 'bout it, when it comes to the actual things in the updates.
    Last edited by Xerian; 12-06-2011 at 03:42 AM.
    Oscar Wilde

Server's going down for a bit while I update.

Obscure Node
    I wholeheartedly agree with some of xerian's points. While it is nice to always be up-to-date for just about anything I'm really not particularly looking forward to any new feature and/or bugfix that has been in the recent changelogs.

Disclaimer: Below is a personal rant of mine on the state of minecraft as i see it, feel free to skip to the second line :)

========================

I feel like when notch stopped doing his friday-updates to work on a large update (halloween) the only thing that was really introduced for smp were pumpkins. the nether was broken, portals weren't working and any new item i might've looked forward to (glowstones for example) were therefore simply inaccessible (except for 3rd party shop plugins or similar of course).

after that i feel like he's simply been slacking off, except for founding his company, which seems to have only served the purpose of coding for his new game; as for minecraft except for biomes (which are cool, i admit) and wools/dyes theres hasnt been any significant changes at all...

while I can't really comment on the coding side of things myself i have heard him being criticized for his nullpointerexceptions in java multiple times (which is apparently actually quite a hard thing to achieve from what i was told), it always turns my stomach to read the version history at the minecraft wiki after every little update. I feel like the amount of new bugs introduced and/or found outweigh any potential bugfixes by far ( http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history - the log for 1.6.4 reads especially funny imo).

Not just that but i feel like he has also shown pretty poor decision making.
    Minecarts weren't fast enough so people found a way to boost them by exploiting a little flaw in his engine. It's funny, it's quirky, it doesn't hurt the game at all. And while I'm all for a more polished and bug-free playing experience I feel like he shouldn't have taken away boat elevators without addressing the fact that people wanted to travel faster vertically, without providing an official "sanctioned" alternative. Boat elevators hurt nobody, but removing them from the game will hurt some people's fun building style and design.

========================

Now for the state of the server here....this is a wonderful community and I feel like there shouldn't be any blaming or finger-pointing especially at the wonderful people who have been contributing so much to this and kept it running for as long as it has. For hadn't there been anybody to step up and be willing to take over when mtothetird disappeared, this might not have gone on for as long as it has.

So I'll use this opportunity to thank everybody involved in running this and also everybody involved in this community who's sticking around (or thinking of coming back, you guys are always welcome too ;)) and making this the community that it is.
    <3 :)

Now i understand people want updates faster and a resolution to this dissent, so I propose the following:
    Disclosure.

Let me explain what i mean by that. Rather than quoting an "unnamed" "obscure" plugin people are waiting for to update before being able to update the server, would it be possible to maybe have a list of all current plugins (and server) in use with their version numbers?
    I understand it's a lot of work to keep track of when a plugin updates, if it has any bugs etc, so i think this would benefit from some crowdsourcing.

A few people being able to check threads over at bukkit, maybe throwing up their own test servers with the exact plugins and testing it out and then reporting back if found stable, might be able to speed up this whole process and help out.

Now I personally don't know what is actually involved in updating and running this, so I don't know if it's a viable solution at all...
    But i wanted to suggest it anyways for discussion

Again, this is all just my (admittedly biased) opinion and should be read as such :)

Don, I wholeheartedly agree on the thing with notch, and his constant updates destroying good things and introducing more bugs. And it would be helpful with full disclosure of some kind, but at the same time it would mean alot more work for the admins.
    We'll see what happends though :]
    Oscar Wilde

Server is back up and updated to 1.6. Everything appears to be working fine, but if anyone's around there are a couple of things I want to test.

Minecraft 1.6.6 seems to be the least stable version yet for me. It's always been prone to crashing but 1.3 or 1.4 was pretty dang sturdy. Just tried this server and got online fine but crashed out every few minutes. It's an instant CTD. Same thing happens in single player on much larger intervals so I think it's my machine. Anyone know a way to sooth the java-beast?

Erm, /spawn seems to be playing up. Occasionally it will kill you. Use at your own risk. Until further notice it's probably best to stick to warp gates.

There also seems to be an issue with the nether. If I go into the nether from the gate at Skullbread, when I leave the nether from the same gate it takes me to Rusty's Yard. Skullbread and Rusty's Yard aren't anywhere near each other. I thought Notch had sorted out those problems, but obviously not. Makes a nether minecart network unviable for the time being.

Just saying Hey on the new forum <3

Quote Originally Posted by El Stevo View Post
    Erm, /spawn seems to be playing up. Occasionally it will kill you. Use at your own risk. Until further notice it's probably best to stick to warp gates.

There also seems to be an issue with the nether. If I go into the nether from the gate at Skullbread, when I leave the nether from the same gate it takes me to Rusty's Yard. Skullbread and Rusty's Yard aren't anywhere near each other. I thought Notch had sorted out those problems, but obviously not. Makes a nether minecart network unviable for the time being.
    Thats the exact kind of problems I was afraid we'd get from updating... Damned notch and his codin'. Lol. Lets see if it'll be sorted in one of his constant tiny bugfixing/bugcausing updates ;p
    -Anyways, good job on gettin' it updated. Lets see if we start booming with activity again :]
    Last edited by Xerian; 12-06-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by TwinklinPixi3 View Post
    Just saying Hey on the new forum <3
    Ohai! =) - Its a sexy new forum, init? ;)
    Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by El Stevo View Post
    Erm, /spawn seems to be playing up. Occasionally it will kill you. Use at your own risk.
    Haha, this is great. Adds a whole new level of "danger" into the game.
    And by the way: Don't count me in on the people who are constantly bragging about updates. I was just asking because Tagno said something about updating the server and I was wondering wether he managed to do that or not.
    I haven't been playing Minecraft for quite some time now, was too busy with Portal 2, Fable 3 and my revived obesession with Bad Company 2 and Left 4 Dead 2.

And I am also working on a Bad Company 2 Machinima and we are nearing some deadlines, this is why I am often sitting in front of my computer, translating stuff and writing storylines or dialogues.

Activated Node
    The server seems to be down.... :(

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyS View Post
    The server seems to be down.... :(
    Elt said that the auto restart wasn't working, so we'll probably have to wait for an admin to restart the server.