Page 6 of 116 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    lol yeah I've even figured out how to mopdifiy this was to only use 1 line of water and get a ton more done much quicker! my first wall is up from sea level almost to the top.

Network Hub
    there's nothing quite like building in obsidian.
    Until you mess up and need to remove it though :(

In case you want an avatar like mine (With a custom background and your name on it, of course), just say a word.

I was bored, so I made this:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/uRPS

Feel free to join. If Jon, DRose or Elt use Steam I'll make you admins on that group.

The purpose of this group is to play other games than Minecraft together, if wished. ;)

Network Hub
    I meant to ask about the logo - is the aliasing intentional on the text? If not, could you fix? :D

It's not intentional. It displays smooth in Photoshop for me. Must be something with the forum and/or the picture host.

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Activated Node
    New maps for 6/19/11:

Flat world: http://db.tt/B95tuKb
    Oblique world: http://db.tt/FYNHY2o

Flat nether: http://db.tt/WMJrrRX
    Oblique nether: http://db.tt/DwaYjU9

This is my first try at rendering nether maps, let me know what you guys think. Now that backups are working again, i'll do my best to start making weekly maps every sunday night. I managed to be the second person to post in this thread, so i'll keep that post up to date with the most recent map. If drose would like to make me a co-author on the google docs list of maps I would be happy to keep that up to date as well, but that of course is up to him.
    Last edited by rustyshakelford2; 20-06-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Network Hub
    Weed, I highly doubt its the forum or picture host, neither would know to alter the image :)
    I imagine it has to do with how you output the image. If you care to send me the source PSD I can try outputting it nicer - I think it deserves it cos I like it :)

@Rusty - urk, those nether maps are brutal :) Good luck!
    I'll try to sort out an updated warp program tomorrow.

Network Hub
    BTW who here enjoys building roads and would like to help me with an upcoming project?

I'm thinking of planning to extend massively the south road. As it stands, it only reaches as far as Slashernick, and I want to extend it past there down to just to the east of Water Works and the south hub (since I'm already working on my own road to connect Mammalia to the south hub, and I've already connected Mammalia and E2T).

I notice that the north road is currently the only one that actually extends far into the map, and felt it might be time to rectify that :)

Volunteers? Won't be starting for a week or so, but would like to know if there's interest. I'll plan up a proposed route once I've traversed the terrain.

Obscure Node
    Sure thing Gerb, just gimmie a shout when i'm next on, and show me where u want it to go. I'm going to spend a couple of days rebuilding the road i created from my mine too skullbread as well lol.

Well Gerb, I'll probably be able to help out, being nothing but cheap, hard labour. :3
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
    Oscar Wilde

Excellently maniacal Steam-powered automaton.

Also known as Maniac, Maniacal Dane, Ulysses, (Mr)Centauri, Scorpion, Hyperion, Xerrow & Zaerow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Hi guys.

I'd love to get involved and join the server. Other than making sure my client is up-to-date and I'm not an ass and have a fair idea of how to play, is there anything I need to do before I'd be able to join? Would you like me to post an array of pictures demonstrating my building portfolio?? (Hint: Not very exciting, but I'm proud of what I've done offline)

Thanks, happy mining!

Well, Gerb.
    Have a try at the logo. I can send it via MSN next time I see you online.
    If you're better at this than me (because I am really a n00b), I'd be happy if you could give me some tips.
    I just took a closer look at it in PS and it seems like the aliasing has to do something with the font.

Network Hub
    Cheers for the offers of help - I'll sort out a potential route and post a map of it here so you guys can wander it and maybe improve. One question I have, more general than anything:

If someone were to build a road roughly near your area, would you want it to pass nearby so you can connect to it, or keep it out of (viewing) range?

@Weed: Sure, when you see me next, send me the file and I'll see what is up with the font / aliasing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Hi guys.

I'd love to get involved and join the server. Other than making sure my client is up-to-date and I'm not an ass and have a fair idea of how to play, is there anything I need to do before I'd be able to join? Would you like me to post an array of pictures demonstrating my building portfolio?? (Hint: Not very exciting, but I'm proud of what I've done offline)

Thanks, happy mining!
    Not really. The server stays fun for everyone by maintaining healthy respect for others.
    This boils down to not being offensive in chat, and making sure that where you build isn't infringing on someone else's area (normally this is obvious, but its best to ask if you are new, particularly if you intend to build near one of the more populated areas). There are a few public towns dotted around where you can build should you wish, or you can head off into the distance and be a loner :)

The main thing that is new from single player are the gates. To avoid walking around far, you can set up gate networks. These are virtually identical to gates to and from the nether, but allow you to choose your destination. Mods can build them upon request and for a price should you find a nice spot in the middle of nowhere.

Once you get on the server for the first time you'll not have build rights. Ask a mod, quoting your RPS forum name (if its different) and we'll likely add you to the probation list immediately. Then, might be nice to take a wander and get a feel for the server and some of its beauty spots. Some of us (like me!) like to give tours, so you are bound to keep busy while you scout for a spot to begin your epic creation.

And do post pics anyway - personally I love seeing them :)

[EDIT] Check this thread for maps - they'll help a great deal in finding your way around.
    Last edited by Gerbster; 20-06-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Rusty, the link for the oblique world map and the oblique nether map is the same.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Okay, sounds fair enough and brilliant. Giving tours is an awesome thing to do.

When you say 'for a price', what do you mean? Is this giving materials you find, donation to the upkeep of the server? Which is another thing, what's its up-keep and when do people usually play? I might nip on later tonight to say hello.

I prefer exploring caverns over building, so the buildings I've made aren't complex. Ie. no levers, decoration, anything like that. That being said, I haven't actually explored into the Nether on my game, simply haven't got that far. If you can recommend to me a decent photo hosting site, because I no longer have any clue (it's been that long sine I was a PC gamer, apparently) I'd appreciate it. In the mean time, I'll get some snappy-snaps from my game to prove to you my...errr...skill.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 20-06-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by El Stevo View Post
    Rusty, the link for the oblique world map and the oblique nether map is the same.
    Fixed the link in both posts.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    When you say 'for a price', what do you mean?
    If you want a portal to be set up, you need to provide the mod that is setting it up with the needed materials and you need to pay a fee of 6 (?) diamonds. This is mainly to prevent people from setting up thousands of portals, as a portal should be considered as something valuable.

P.S.:

If anyone joins the Steam group I set up, please be sure to post your Minecraft ingame names in the comments section of the group. It will be easier to recognise you.

Network Hub
    The price for a portal is 3 diamonds or 13500 nipples (the ingame currency, although for how long remains to be seen!).
    Its only 6 diamonds for Mr Weed :D
    The needed materials are 10-14 obsidian blocks and a sign which is another way of saying the person who wants the gate builds the gate and we just activate it. You'll see the shape of the portals as soon as you get into the game, there are tons around spawn.

[EDIT] Regarding server costs, we run on donations. Jonbas paid the last few months out of his own pocket I believe, and did mention a few days ago he'd post on here asking for fresh donations, but its sort of failed to materialise, so we have all this money just lying around all sad and useless.

JONBAS! DONATION INFORMATION PLEASE!
    Last edited by Gerbster; 20-06-2011 at 09:28 PM.