Page 105 of 115 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 2300
    Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbster View Post
    Or maybe move it underground and the only way to get to it is via a normal button activated portal?
    Works for me.

iirc You and Robert know the most about making sure overland portals and nether portals align so I guess it comes down to you to make sure the new nether portal would go to where the old one went.

Of course Nova may be riddled with easy access nether portals so this isn't a real solution.

Maybe allowing non-whitelisted people nether access privs is the best solution.

You'd have to be a nutter to want to spend a lot of time there without any gear :D

Regardless, all of this requires divine intervention.

Say his name three times and he shall appear.

Eltagno!

Eltagno!

Eltagno!

Activated Node
    And lo he did appear and take action.

The nova nether gate is now button activated.

Let's see how it goes from here. :)

it's down again :(

Someone was in RPS nova at the time near to the old portal, dunno if that makes a difference at all.

EDIT: Back up already though guessing it was just a bug
    Last edited by purdz; 18-07-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Network Hub
    Hey guys - for the railway experts amongst you I have a problem.
    I am building my own one around Mammalia, and I am after a junction with the following properties:

1 - Main line up and down (as in, you can traverse it both ways, there is no pair of dedicated up and down lines).
    2 - A branch line.
    3 - Arriving from any of the 3 directions, you hit a lever to choose your destination, then press a button to head towards it
    4 - You only pass through one decision regardless of where you come from or go to.
    5 - All 'flat', IE no tracks on top of each other or jumps (breaks in tracks).

I came up with the design below, which works, but am wondering if someone has come up with a more compact one, as this seems overly complicated for what I want to achieve.

In the pic, details are as follows:

CYAN - The entry routes from the main line to the main switch.
    RED - The exit routes from the main switch to the main lines.
    YELLOW - The exit routes from the main switch to the local line.
    GREEN - The entry route from the local line to the local switch.
    PURPLE - The exit routes from the local switch to the main lines.

A and B are the bits of the track that change when you flick the main switch.
    C is the bit of track that changes when you flick the local switch.

Ignore the bit of track to the top left with the cow in the cart, he just seemed to enjoy the ride so I put him in a seperate loop of track.

Example 1: From main line down to main line up.
    You start bottom left, follow cyan to the main switch. From there you exit up right via red to main line up.

Example 2: From main line down to local line.
    You start bottom left, follow cyan to the main switch. From there you exit up right via yellow to the local line.

Example 3: From local line to main line down.
    You start bottom right, follow green to the local switch. From there you exit left via purple to main line down.

Naturally the same is true for main line up options, you just flick the switches accordingly.

Any easier solutions?

small junction.jpg

Network Hub
    OK server crashed again at exactly 2am my time (so that's what, 8am UK time).
    I was the only one online and I wasn't doing anything out of the normal, just tweaking my station thingy :(

Activated Node
    Any easier solutions?
    I suggest contacting London Underground.

Their solution seems slightly less complicated then yours but they do have years of experience.

Obscure Node
    Any easier solutions?
    Could it be done with one simple T-intersection out of Local (i.e., the switch is from Main Up to Main Down)? Assuming three destinations is all you will want, going to Main Down from Main Up or Local can use the same state, as can going to Main Up from Main Down or Local; going to Local from either Main is the same as going to that Main from Local.

I'm possibly overlooking one of your requirements or making assumptions about the workings of rail that are not true, so forgive me if this is obviously unworkable.

Network Hub
    Cheers for the support wubble :(
    Hattered - I'm not sure. I don't see any way of using a single switch for all selections from all directions - because using one location means it must be able to select between 3 destinations, something which isn't possible as far as I can tell.

You have made me rethink my setup though, and in theory there is a simpler way, but I am not sure if the lever is gonna make as much sense as I'd like, but if it worked, I'd take a small hit on that for a massively simpler set-up - it might indeed end up as a simple T junction as you said. I shall investigate and report back!

Network Hub
    Um yeah hattered, you were right. Sorry :D I was over thinking it maaaassively :D

Network Hub
    Yeah a simple T junction works, my mistake was starting with Dig's launcher, because it wasn't designed for bi-directional travel. Wot A Twat!

Hello there! I'm afraid this doesn't look great (what with my sparsest of post counts) but I was wondering if I could get put on the server whitelist? My minecraft handle is theblackbandit, I've read the FAQ, and (for what it's worth) I've been an RPS member since the Jim/John/Alec/Kieron days. I'd love to be a part of what looks like an amazing server.

I've whitelisted you. Welcome to the server :)

Activated Node
    Someone called Sabrewriter appears to have crashed the server by going to the nether.

What is it with people who are not whitelisted immediately heading to the nether?

I guess the portal system at spawn needs to be looked into.

Anyway I guess we need to come up with another solution.

Network Hub
    Well sabrewriter is an old player if I recall, so it doesn't appear to be anything to do with them being new players.
    But yeah, it appears there is a bug in the portal code, something to do with the nether. No clue what it might be sadly :(

And I was all set for a hard day's mining too - lately inspiration has returned by the bucket-load :)

Obscure Node
    Sorry about that everyone. Didn't think to check the boards, and thought I could harvest some glowstone last night. Should I stay off until the whole issue is fixed? I appear to be stuck in the Nether. I can happily pitch myself into a lava lake if it'll appease the Server Gods.

Teach me to build a keep with an underground garden...

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by saberwriter View Post
    Sorry about that everyone.
    It happens. I didn't mean to come off accusatory. Just logging what I know.

I've been making many trips to the nether recently from the portal at my base and haven't had the server crash at all.

I would say i've gone 50/50 with which portal i returned through, either my own or the one at spawn.

The problem doesn't seem too consistent.

Obscure Node
    Wubble69: Well, I did kind of break Minecraft; I should at least leave a note on the window ;-)

FWIW, I came into the Nether via the Cathedral City portal, then tried to leave via the Nova City Portal. Would that be a factor?

Obscure Node
    Update: Made it out, server seems to be a bit happier now.

Back to the fort for building and digging!

Network Hub
    Don't stress Saberwriter, you aren't the first by any means. We don't really know why it is happening, which is the most frustrating part about it all :(