Page 25 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
    < I can vouch for GentlemanCorpse! He's a delightful gent.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanCorpse View Post
    Hello mentlegen!
    I am a civalrous individual, and I am simply thrilled to have finally found this server! A call to ScottJ10, as you finally showed me where to go! I am in your debt!
    Which, I am sad to say, I will not be paying back in sexual favors.
    Sorry!
    Anyway, I would be honored if I could be permitted to build on the server, as I love how creative this community has been with their constructions! Everything I have laid my semi-living eyes upon looks lovely! I would be glad to contribute to this wondrous community, so please, do let me know whether or not I can be accepted!

Without Wax,
    GentlemanCorpse :D
    I like you.
    I'll vouch for you just because you wrote such a great application.

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Just leaving this here for everyone who still doesn't know it.

Hey folks! I put together a little gallery of images of stuff I've built in Minecraft and posted it on the site I run : Nitrobeard. Most of the stuff is on the uRPS server so I figured I'd share!

Just click the image or the link in the text to see the gallery. [ http://www.nitrobeard.com/home/2011/...minecraft.html ]

Activated Node
    The Server's down :(

Network Hub
    Grrr yes, and it was going to be my hour of treat to myself for being a good boy and working most of the day.
    Instead I shall have to clean the darned flat :(

Network Hub
    My attempt to force a restart failed. I see two possibilities: Elt or Jon stopped the server in order to tinker with it and just didn't post a warning in-thread first, or there's a problem with the server. I will wait until after the next scheduled restart. If it doesn't restart as normal, I'll try a stop/start on it instead. Generally not something we want to do unless it's for updating purposes, but if this is the server misbehaving not much choice.

Edit:
    Ok, failed. It isn't responding at all to me. Going to have to wait until Jonbas or Eltagno can fiddle with it. :-/
    Last edited by DRoseDARs; 18-08-2011 at 03:52 AM.

I'll use the opportunity to publicly vote for a map restart after the adventure update.
    I would love a fresh map with all the new stuff in it, because I'm afraid that we will miss out on A LOT if we don't start from scratch after it.

Just check out this picture of Notch showing us the rivers that will be included in the new game!
    http://i.imgur.com/6MeBH.jpg
    That landscape is magnificient!
    Imagine how awesome it would be to have a new map with rivers, ocean biomes, islands in those oceans, mountain biomes and the new land generating that makes landscapes look so much cooler!

I know you guys have put quite some effort into the stuff on this server, but so did I. I'd say we could vote to let everyone bring over ONE of his buildings/towns, so that the damage isn't that big.
    I'd also say that it should be possible to bring one's inventory with him/her to the new map.

I would be okay with that, as there is no way that I would want to miss out on all that great stuff that is coming with the adventure update.

What do you think?
    I wouldn't want to start from complete scratch with no equipment at all, too. But I think bringing over one town and an inventory full of stuff should be a reasonable compromise.
    Once again:
    Imagine the landscapes you could build on!

Tell me what you think.

P.S.:
    You could of course download the most recent version of our world and have it as a SP world to show off to friends or whatever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Woah, that river looks great. Also looks like some texture tinkering too.

As much as it would suck to lose what we've done so far, and I say that as a relative newcomer, I'd be all for a map reset. My only issue with that is, by saying we'll do one, how many people will still be enthuthiastic to play knowing their work will essentially be wiped? If there is a map to download though, that would be very cool. Nice to tinker with on failing internet days.

Keeping inventory seems fair aswell. To what extent though - with plugins, how will things be stacked? And so on and so forth. Essentially, I like the idea and I'm already forming in my head what things I will save. THINK OF ALL THE PINE!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Obscure Node
    I'd be up for a map reset, would be fun to build a town from scratch again.

Activated Node
    I've seen a multi-world plugin where you can have multiple worlds running on the same server, so maybe we have a 1.8 world, and a pre-1.8 world with all of our stuff on it.
    EDIT: http://lpminecraft.com/forums/showwi...oks:MultiVerse Here's stuff about it.
    Last edited by KirbyS; 18-08-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Network Hub
    I fail to see what an entirely new map brings in terms of building that you can't do now by just heading off into the wilderness.
    I also think placing limits on what could or could not be brought over into the new map is ridiculous, you are presenting a false compromise. And to say it would be sad that you start with no inventory would be sad is, IMO, hypocritical as surely that is the point of starting again in a (slightly?) new game mode. Either you go the whole hog in wanting the new world, and play accordingly, or you don't.

Personallly I'm not in favour of a map reset, however, I do agree there would be things we miss. Possible solutions would be deleting large swathes of the map (basically the unused areas) to let the new code fill it in, or porting of areas. I for one might as well just give up on the server if I lose any of my work. Losing the inventory bothers me a great deal less than the areas I have spent many many hours on.

I also think large-scale wiping of other people's areas shows a distinct lack of respect to the work and people who made the server early on.

So, overall, what am I thinking?

I am not sure how easy it is to identify and remove unused or minimally used chunks, but am concerned it would leave us with a patch-work effect which gives us the best of neither the old nor the new.
    Copying over of areas (and in this case personally I am thinking of the entirety of Mammalia, anything less makes it essentially pointless, but it still only represents around 6-7% of the entire map) is a possibility, and we could for example make early public and private projects include resculpting the landscape around where they merge to remove harsh chunk boundaries*.
    Inventory copying over might as well, as if you bring the towns they'll certainly contain chests and I see no reason to again, deprive people of their spoils from many hours of game play.

* Suggestion! How about this? When the new update comes along, admin generates an entirely new map using the new system. This is available to download in SP, so people can scout it out. We then organise a 2D map of it, and people can vote / plead for what they want copied over, AND WHERE (important that!). Then in world edit / MC edit or whatever, we merge the files, followed by using sculpting tools in said program to blend edges, and shift it over to the main server map. That way we do indeed get the best of both worlds.

Network Hub
    Just to add, it would mean a certain delay before we update wholesale, but my other idea was we simply shift the current map 4 km in one direction, and allow an equal sized area for the new chunk generation. Problem? We now have 1.6gb of backup data :/ I think the currently 8x8km area is more than big enough to accomodate our old favourite locations in the new map, leaving plenty of the new adventure stuff available.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbster View Post
    * Suggestion! How about this? When the new update comes along, admin generates an entirely new map using the new system. This is available to download in SP, so people can scout it out. We then organise a 2D map of it, and people can vote / plead for what they want copied over, AND WHERE (important that!). Then in world edit / MC edit or whatever, we merge the files, followed by using sculpting tools in said program to blend edges, and shift it over to the main server map. That way we do indeed get the best of both worlds.
    That is, I agree, the best "solution" to this dilemma - I'd love to explore the entirely new stuff, but at the same time, I dont wanna lose my precious (albeit, retardedly ugly) builds.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanCorpse View Post
    Hello mentlegen!
    I am a civalrous individual, and I am simply thrilled to have finally found this server! A call to ScottJ10, as you finally showed me where to go! I am in your debt!
    Which, I am sad to say, I will not be paying back in sexual favors.
    Sorry!
    Anyway, I would be honored if I could be permitted to build on the server, as I love how creative this community has been with their constructions! Everything I have laid my semi-living eyes upon looks lovely! I would be glad to contribute to this wondrous community, so please, do let me know whether or not I can be accepted!

Without Wax,
    GentlemanCorpse :D
    I'd vouch for you based on that genius application. You sir, are the coolest Gentleman-corpse... Gentle-zombie? I've ever met.
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
    Oscar Wilde

Excellently maniacal Steampowered automaton.

Also known as Maniac, Maniacal Dane, Ulysses, (Mr)Centauri, Scorpion, Hyperion, Xerrow, Zaerow & a vast landscape of nicknames since lost in time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I definitely think it requires a lot of fore-thought. There are issues with the ideas for and against, but I don't want to get into that because it's not really relevant based on the following: I support your suggestion. Keep the work people have done, if they want to, while getting the best of the new. I would be perfectly happy with this and am in full support of it.

Also, I'll bite. GentlemanCorpse's application is fantastic.