Page 43 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Mods and above - be very careful with the compass, it appears to work differently to how it used to - I just got teleported into a lava-ry death using left click. Through a wall...

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbster View Post
    although how to get watermelon seeds I dunno
    I've only seen them in stronghold/dungeon chests so far.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    What, if any, are the plans to open up new land to explore brand new terrain?
    The terrain gen code is changing again in 1.9 so that won't happen for 1.8. As soon as we know the terrain code is stable we're planning on expanding the map.

Finally got on the server and was aghast at the abomination that are the new chests... ruins a lot of stuff. Had a quick check on the new fog stuff and fortunately I'm not too affected but I feel sorry for people who invested in huge deep vistas. When will the dev twits decide to change worktables and furnaces too?

Decided to fix one of our buildings that uses chests as floors and replace the chests with note blocks. Go to place the first one - crashes. I have no desire to try again... sod that, really, sod that. Quicker I get my game sorted the quicker I can leave MC.

Network Hub
    Righto just had a bit of a play with new stuff in 1.8. Here are thoughts:

- Huge mushrooms. Red / brown mushrooms + space + bonemeal = huge mushrooms. If you chop them down, you just get more mushrooms. If mods chop them down with super pick axe, we get the actual chunks. They glitch a bit due to stacking / non-stacking according the faces textured, but it is a shame that players can't get them as I reckon the stalk block would be quite nice for building (has a bit of wattle and daub effect going on)

- Pumpkin growing. Yes it works. No there is currently no way for anyone except mods etc to get seeds, but from my tests, only 2 seeds are likely to be needed for any given player to enable them to get as many as they want (place seed, bonemeal, harvest full stem, get 0-3 seeds back, hence why 2 in case first try gives you zero).

- Melon growing. Yes it works. Also no way to get the seeds for now, but you only need one as you just let the melon grow then harvest it which breaks it into slices. Slices can be recrafted into melons, or crafted alone to give seeds. Much easier to get this one going than pumpkins.

- Vines. They do what they say on the tin. Unsurprisingly, only mods etc can get them, but again, once a few are let loose, they should be reasonably fast to duplicate.

I won't give out vines or seeds nor make my own farm (cos then you lot would just pillage and rape!), until we hear from Admin what they'd like to do regarding th. We only need a few in circulation to soon supply all the server needs, but would rather wait to know official policy rather than accidentally spread.

Network Hub
    Regarding vines: Absolutely, positively NO vines. Notch nerfed their overgrowth in b19pre+, but in b18+ they're a pestilence and a griefer tool.

Regarding pumpkin/melon seeds: Honestly, I'm not sure. As you said, all you need is 1 seed of either to eventually provide for the entire server of that crop. Very unbalanced, but is that any different from wheat? Not really, I don't think. Perhaps having a starter pumpkin and starter melon available somewhere public, clearly labelled as such and giving instructions NOT to kill the stem might be acceptable. What do you think Elt?

Regarding Giant Mushroom stalks: If non-OPs can't get them themselves, sounds like a product for the General Store once that plugin is back in order. That's how we initially offered Nether blocks and Lapis Luzuli.

Activated Node
    Usual Tedious Question!

How do you recommend we upgrade our *.jar from 1.7.3 to 1.8.x?

Or will we now be on the general public version of 1.8.x?

Network Hub
    I'm up waaay past my bedtime; have to be at work in 5 hours. Ugh, stupid me. >_<

Wub, your answer is in the very first post of the thread. Here's the pertinent part. It's slightly out-of-date since the auto-updates have been changed by Mojang since this was written months ago, but the backup routine is still quite valid:

"In order to ensure your ability to play on our server when it ISN'T up-to-date with the current build of the game, you need to get into the habit of going into your /.minecart/bin folder ***BEFORE loading the game when an update has been released*** and making a backup copy of the minecraft.jar file in there. Rename the backup to something reflecting the build of the game it represents. To wit: "b1.8.1 minecraft.jar" is the most current backup I have, and I'm using a copy of my "b1.7.3 minecraft.jar" backup to play on the server. I've made backups in this manner going all the way back to alpha v122. It's super-effective. Once you've made your safe backup, go ahead and load the game. It'll auto-update. Once it's done, exit the game, go back to the now-updated minecraft.jar file and rename it to match that build of the game, making it a backup of that build. Finally, make a copy file of the backup of the build that matches the server, rename it to minecraft.jar and place it in the /bin folder if it isn't sitting there already. You should be able to connect to the server at this point."

At this time, you'll want to have a safe/clean copy of b173 and safe/clean copy of b181. While the server is now at b181, there's a chance we might downgrade back to b173 if this build proves to be too wonky. Better safe than screwed.
    Last edited by DRoseDARs; 26-10-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Activated Node
    Thanks for the quick reply.

In my defense I wasn't so much asking about "how" to update the *.jar file I was just badly communicating that I didn't know which jar file to up date to. I do read all your carefully created googledocs I promise! :)

In the end I sucked it and saw and just updated using the public update system.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DRoseDARs View Post
    Regarding vines: Absolutely, positively NO vines. Notch nerfed their overgrowth in b19pre+, but in b18+ they're a pestilence and a griefer tool.
    Hmm I thought he fixed that in 1.8.1. Agreed, no vines.

I like the idea of the starter kit at spawn somewhere. However, if people can't break the pumpkin stem, there is no way of getting seeds (not true of melons though). We could just sell the seeds at general - could even be quite pricey cos you only need a few to get the ball rolling.

Speaking of which we still haven't forgotten Rob and I paid Jonbas ages ago for the rights to 'luxury' items to be in a shop at Shrewbil :P

I'll make a little melon farm opposite the market with instructions to replant after harvesting.

I made the public melon farm opposite the market. There's a notice board briefly explaining how melon farming works. Help yourselves to melons!

(For those that don't know, you get to the market by going through the permanently open portal that is at spawn.)

Activated Node
    I still can't access /help or other commands.

Quote Originally Posted by Alikchi View Post
    I still can't access /help or other commands.
    I think you should be able to now.

I think I'm going to have to look into changing to another permissions plugin, because the current situation is ridiculous. :/

Activated Node
    All working, thank you kindly.

Animal spawning is nerfed in 1.8, so Gerb and I made a pig and sheep farm behind the melon farm, which is opposite RPS Nova Market.

Sign colours are back in now, although coloured signs no longer glow in the dark :(

You should all have your money back, and I'll look at getting shops back up and running tomorrow.

Activated Node
    Yea... um... about the plugins... I love that we've updated, but there are no results for /help. /(anything) does nothing. Stargates are borked... and ya.... Ill see you all later on the server now :D

EDIT: Also creepers blow up if they even just start to hiss. Its annoying...

Activated Node
    The map has been updated.

http://raycore.org/rpsmap/web

Network Hub
    Kirby, from what I understand the problem is simply that Eltagno has to update player permissions on an individual basis - the plug in isn't accepting the old file (despite it apparently looking identical). I am sure Elt will update you knowing you are around, so hang in there :)

Activated Node
    Ohhhh..... ok, thanks man