Page 47 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
    I'd still vote for a new map. But an expansion is okay, too.

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    +1 with Mr. Weed. I think a new map would be cool, but an expansion of good size would be good. So long as there's plenty of time for me to spread my pine into an army of bewilderingly green and brown landscape. Ahem.

As it goes, I was using that texture pack that was the modified one posted earlier in the thread. It doesn't seem to gel quite so well with 8.1; is there a fix for that somewhere abound?
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

If you mean the Nations at War pack that I modified, it's not updated yet. Once its up to date, Ill post it here.

Network Hub
    It was pretty much decided several weeks ago that there will NOT be a new map to replace this one. The disruption to the community makes that an unacceptable option. There is the "Holiday" map we had used for a while, but that was a temporary map to protect this one while we waited on various odds and ends to catch up with the then-current build of the game. As for expansion, that's on the table but as the biome generating code remains in flux there won't be any action on that front until sometime after Notch stops messing with it every update/prerelease/candidate/bar mitzvah/full moon/chicken fart. Notch has repeatedly said they'll continue to develop the game after official release, lord knows what that means for future map-generation.

slimey wimey

So, does anyone else have a slime infestation? We've got it bad. Like, in the past two days, we have gotten ~360 slimeballs. Up until this point I hadn't even seen one.

Activated Node
    So I guess we can finally play this game now, huh? Hope it's good.

Network Hub
    So we're having a rather serious urban/wildfire here in Reno. Authorities have put the entire southwest area of Reno under voluntary/mandatory evacuation depending on proximity to the fire and the direction the wind is blowing it. I'm under voluntary since winds are blowing (very hard) to the north. However, should the winds start pushing east/south I and thousands of others could be screwed. Lots of burnable homes and trees between me and the fire, not that it isn't already omnomnoming on the urban landscape already. I'll keep you folks posted as the weekend progresses.

Edit: Removed shit Google Map and its shitty "eye witness" reporting as I don't live on Windy Hill; dubious reports. Update further down-thread.

As of 1:35pm pst, I find the reports south of Holcomb Ln to be rather dubious. The content on that Google Map is user-generated so I'm wondering how many of the little fire icons are bullshit reports by panicked idiots. Also, Google Maps has always had issues with accurately-placing icons, so seeing things to the east of US395 right now or to the north of Reno pings my bullshitometer. The icons are single-point reports, rather than burned area, so this map shouldn't make you think a 1/4 of Reno is indeed on fire. An "affected area" map will come later once authorities/media have complied one. (Edit: OK, seems the winds have knocked powerlines triggering additional wildfire reports around town, which is pretty normal actually. We'll see how they all progress).

This has long been a nightmare scenario for the Truckee Meadows: We sit in a bowl of a valley, surrounded by higher mountains, often chaotic wind patterns, and *lots* of dry brushland. There have been brushfires that have threatened or even burned homes before, but this one has pushed at least partly into the burn-ier parts of the urban zones. Open spaces along the foothills are easier to deal with when they burn, densely-packed homes on the valley floor are not. We had to go through this before where I live back in 2000 and was even closer to where I live. Moreover, our old house back in Chicago burned done too and a month later our storage unit went up in flames. Damn you, Prometheus, damn you and your fire!
    Last edited by DRoseDARs; 19-11-2011 at 01:21 AM.

Woah, that sounds pretty bad!
    I really hope that fire doesn't get to you!

Network Hub
    Quick Minecraft note: Now officially 1.0 (as in I just force-updated and yeppers, version number in the corner is 1.0.0)

Also: Version History already has the release notes up on 1.0.0
    http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history

I couldn't tell you what's actually new since b1.9 since I've mostly ignored the six pre-releases and the two RCs, but as always that page lists pretty much everything in every build since the beginning.
    Last edited by DRoseDARs; 18-11-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Obscure Node
    Don't you have admin commands for removing fire DRose?

Good luck out there. But sounds like you'll be fine: you don't have any flammable possessions left anymore anyways.

Network Hub
    Ok, an update much sooner thankfully than I'd expected:

http://www.rgj.com/article/20111118/...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

This map is much better, showing really just homes that were confirmed by local media following up with authorities to have been damaged/destroyed as opposed to "wind knocked over a birdhouse, therefore FIRE OMG EVERYONE DIEDED!" or "I can see the smoke from my house on the other side of town, therefore FIRE OMG I'M BURNING ALIVE!" reports.

Seems authorities pulled out all the stops and used admin commands. Not 100% contained, but they've managed to stop its progression into urban lands for the most part. The winds have died down and we also have a bit of moisture coming over the Sierras, so that might help... assuming there aren't lightning bolts hiding in those clouds tonight. Up to 10,000 evacuated, 2000 acres burned last I heard, 20-ish homes hit, 1 death that I've heard about. This could have gone much much worse.

Yeah, could've been much worse indeed... Like if you'd been barbecued ;|
    In all seriousness though; When I saw it on TV yesterday I was like D:! Drose D:... And yeah, it could've been much worse, and has been several times in quite a few places, glad to see you're alive and well though :]
    *Edit* Please remember to notify us if you get a minor case of death.
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
    Oscar Wilde

Excellently maniacal Steampowered automaton.

Also known as Maniac, Maniacal Dane, Ulysses, (Mr)Centauri, Scorpion, Hyperion, Xerrow, Zaerow & a vast landscape of nicknames since lost in time.

Elt or DRose, could you whitelist Rittmeister again? He's an RL friend of mine and it seems that he has lost his permissions after the update, but didnt tell anyone to whitelist him again until now... (He was bragging about not being able to use /spawn etc.)

It's done.

Cheers! I'll tell him.

Network Hub
    OK, the fire is 95% contained and pretty much squashed. 32 homes destroyed, 5 damaged but reinhabitable. Up to 10,000 people evacuated ahead of it. Only 1 killed (senior having a heartattack while evacuating, go figure. :-( ) and plenty of people having minor smoke inhalation issues. Not the first time we've been visited by Bisquack's dragon, won't be the last.

Network Hub
    Still, glad to hear things are OK.

Network Hub
    Just to let you guys know - my absense lately is not due to lack of love for the game, but too much work IRL, that nasty place with curves :(
    Hope to sort it in a few days and will be back soon :)

Network Hub
    Each time I come on, I'm foreveralone. Lonelier than even playing single player. It's one of those times of the year I guess. Folks in school having tests, winter vacation season and what-have-you.

Quite a few people are playing Skyrim.