Page 80 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 2273
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I'd love to help with a public project like road expansion. How does one get involved with that sort of thing?
    Go and find some road to build!

I've marked out a route for the SW road from near Xalikchotl to just west of Westbridge. There's quite a lot at the southern end that just needs someone to put in all the slabs, most of the rest still needs landscaping/bordering. You can either take a glance at what's already built or yell at me to find out my stupidly OCD methods of building :)

Network Hub
    You can also build something in Egypt, let me know and I can make suggestions. Also, I'd not mind having a road coming there if it was well integrated (again, let me know and we can work something out).

The server's updated to 1.3.1.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    You can either take a glance at what's already built or yell at me to find out my stupidly OCD methods of building :)
    Considering the standard road is pure cobble and slabs, is there any non OCD way of building them? BTW roads don't *have* to be this style (note in the south west one turns to wood for a bit) - what needs to be maintained is the size, really.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbster View Post
    Considering the standard road is pure cobble and slabs, is there any non OCD way of building them?
    Torches every 6 blocks, 4 on diagonals, and a torch must go on the inside corner block of a curve
    Roads are 4 wide + 2 border, or 4/3 alternating + 2 border on diagonals
    The road and the border should never be the same height when next to each other, including diagonals
    Climbs should ideally be 2 blocks at each half-height, though one block at each is acceptable if it's a steep climb
    Dirt should never be visible under the border, make it 2 high if needed

You were saying? :)

Also, I've done a fairly long section of sandstone on that SW road, so I am happy to move away from cobble-slab. It just happens that cobble-slab is the easiest set of materials to make!

Network Hub
    Played a bit of MineZ past couple of days that I could spare a few minutes. One tends to die. A lot. If it isn't the super-zombies, it's the bandits (players who've chosen to be dicks to other players) and if it isn't either of those, it's the starving to death. Food is *really* hard to come by. There's almost no crafting except for making cookies or mushroom stew, so you have to be lucky enough to find food spawns or certain tools with which to procure mushrooms and wheat. You *can* eat rotted zombie flesh, but there's high chance of food poisoning and/or zombification. Better have some milk on-hand if you go that route. I'd probably have fun if there weren't all the snot-nosed little brats going around and killing anyone they can find. Seriously, the servers are hard enough with the super-zombies and the starving and the stingy chest spawns without having to also dodge shitheads with inspired names like l33tf4Gpwn3r and 12344321. My only goal at this point is to live long enough to head straight north to volcanoland. Last night I got as far as some manor deep in the forest, then made the desperate mistake of eating zombie flesh; zombified about a minute later. I like the idea of what MineZ offers, and the atmosphere reminds of the early days of Survival mode, but the lack of civilization amongst the players brought back the terrible feelings of Griefer Weekend and the weeks that followed (though block breaking is pretty much disabled; it's all about attacking/harassing other players). Every moment on those servers I found myself wishing for a banhammer... which is not to say the admins don't wield them, they just bust hackers/cheaters. Everything else was a total free-for-all. Fun is not what I was having, but I want to at least see a bit more before quitting on MineZ.

On-topic:
    As for roads, I'm happy/impressed that the work done in the early days of the server has held up after 2-ish years. There are slight variations here and there and that's absolutely fine; gives flavor to various locales. Also: w00t, 1.3.1! :-)

Obscure Node
    I didn't get banned did I? I can't log in and last night I was spawning a load of chickens so my first thought was "oh no.. Trout's mad I gave him some chickens."

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DRoseDARs View Post
    Played a bit of MineZ past couple of days
    I jumped on today.

DigHappy almost ruined it by getting me to play on the US servers but sanity prevailed and I found the EU servers and things settled down.

I like it. Agree with all your points about the food.

I HATE the fact that you have to hold and Ender Eye to chat to the shit flinging monkeys but you still get to read their STUPID FUCKING INANE BULLSHIT when you are not holding the Ender Eye.

Seriously I don't give a flying fuck what you are playing on the xbox and havn't you got better things to do than look for other FUCKING IDIOTS on a MineZ server to talk about it.

Don't give up on Mine Z.

I was playing with a couple of other RPS guys on Mumble a few nights back and it was excellent. It's very frustrating at first, it took me about ten goes to get to a point where I could even make it to the other guys playing. Once that happened though, the game gets a ton better.

Once you grab a stone sword and some chain armour, the zombies become far less of a problem, and once you have a way to heal yourself, the only real challenge is groups of other players. The higher up you get in terms of equipment, the less idiots you find, as most of the 'l33tgri3fer' types are hanging at spawn killing newbies and are terrified of anyone with weapons and food.

As for your point about food, it's not that hard, any starting town, if you can survive it, will have a bit of wheat. If you survive the first 30 minutes you'll probably either have got some cookies or milk by then, and from that point it's just making sure you stop in enough towns to make it worth it. We stayed in a newbie town for about 30 minutes waiting on chest re-spawns and stocking up on stuff before heading out.

It's really a game you have to play with people though rather than just logging on and hoping for the best.
    Last edited by Wayward; 10-08-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Right so yeah, the 11th - Yesterday for me now, was my birthday. Remember to shower me in gifts next time I'm on.
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
    Oscar Wilde

Excellently maniacal Steam-powered automaton.

Also known as Maniac, Maniacal Dane, Ulysses, (Mr)Centauri, Scorpion, Hyperion, Xerrow & Zaerow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Happy Birthday! :D
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Network Hub
    Happy belated birthday bloke! So how old are you now? 13? :D

Yeah Happy Birthday Xer, hope it was a good one!

Network Hub
    Congratulations on surviving yet another year!

Network Hub
    Danny, I've just re-laid out part of your proposed route for the SW part of the ring road, to make it pass through west hub (and have a view over it as it does so). I'll be idly working on it from that end over the next few weeks I reckon, so maybe meet you in the middle :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Was there any decent way there? I just found "woo big hill!" and "woo someone's building along the only bit of flat coast!" - same reason why the NW road comes in a mile off, what with all the big sandholes...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I put up a load of signs, but at the tunnel entrance we were working on after you left, there was a serious mob attack and two Creepers did their thing. It took out a chest, part of the path and made the water feature larger. I made a new chest next to the other double one and categorised all the chests splitting them into stone, wood and natural stuff etc. I'm confident I was able to retrieve 99% of the materials, but I'm not as sure about how good a job I did in repairing the path.