Page 1 of 114 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

The (unofficial) RPS Minecraft Server Thread III

Regarding server version lagging behind Minecraft version:
    The server has remained at 1.6.4 for all this time because this server uses Bukkit to manage all the mods we use. The Bukkit development team has been working on creating a stable public release for 1.7.2 for weeks (Mojang did a lot of changes to the core coding) and then we would have to wait on the various mods we use to update to that stable build, but that all remains in the future. Until then, our server remains at 1.6.4. This is no different than any other time over the years that we've lagged behind updating the server when the game updates. Frustrating to be behind, especially with 1.8 in pre-release? Maybe, but we get to avoid many of the headaches that come with newly-released builds, and that is and always will be a good thing.

As RPS begins a new forum, we begin a new thread. Let's see how this new format works out...

Previous threads:
    ---Original thread---
    ---Second thread---

Quick Information (as of January 27th, 2014):
    Current build of the game used by the server: 1.7.2
    Current
    address of the server: urps-minecraft.co.uk
    Wiki for the server: uRPS Minecraft Tourism Board
    Live map of the server: Unofficial Rock Paper Shotgun Dynamic Map

Please note: Server currently running on game build "Full Release 1.7.2"
    Using a more current build or an older build than the one used by this server will prevent connection to the server. Our server uses a number of plugins that don't get updated all at the same time as they aren't made by one person. Once they all update, we can update. This process allows us to provide and maintain a stable server for players as sometimes the "updates" turn out buggy. We want you enjoying the server, not screaming about bugs and glitches. Asking us when we're updating does not accelerate the speed at which the plugins we rely upon update. Just because Bukkit has updated does NOT mean all of our plugins have updated as well.

In order to ensure your ability to play on our server when it ISN'T up-to-date with the current build of the game, you need to get into the habit of going into your /.minecart/bin folder ***BEFORE loading the game when an update has been released*** and making a backup copy of the minecraft.jar file in there. Rename the backup to something reflecting the build of the game it represents. I've made backups in this manner going all the way back to alpha v122. It's super-effective. Once you've made your safe backup, go ahead and load the game. It'll auto-update. Once it's done, exit the game, go back to the now-updated minecraft.jar file and rename it to match that build of the game, making it a backup of that build. Finally, make a copy file of the backup of the build that matches the server, rename it to minecraft.jar and place it in the /bin folder if it isn't sitting there already. You should be able to connect to the server at this point.

Disclaimer: Occasionally, players will share links to their backups for other players, but it behooves you to get into the habit of making your own. Posting the minecraft.jar file (regardless of build) is of questionable legality, so do so at your own risk. Mojang hasn't made much of a stink about the practice, but probably better not to temp fate ... or their lawyers.

---uRPS Minecraft Tourist Board---
    http://urps-minecraft.co.uk/
    *Formatting is being screwy, can't seem to get this link nice like the others*

---uRPS Server Rules---
    Read them, learn them, love them.

---uRPS Address---
    urps-minecraft.co.uk (New address, hosted by thegingerbeast, same map running mc1.3.2)
    94.44.143.178:25566 (Old address, hosted by HostedGameServers, non-responsive and may have run out... use the new address posted immediately above)

---uRPS FAQ---
    Information about this server and its community ... and anything else we think of and want to put here.

---uRPS Maps---
    Yay, maps! Because who doesn't like maps? Provided: Collection of older maps created as the server grows. A link to a Stargate directory put together by KirbyS.

Additionally, in the post directly below this one rustyshakelford2 is providing direct links to the most current maps made.

Double additionally, Rusty has a browsable map available now. Yay maps! (currently outdated)
    http://raycore.org/rpsmap/web

Live map on the new server via Eltagno. Yay maps!
    http://urps-minecraft.co.uk/map/

Use these cmds in chat to determine whether you want your presence on the live map shown or not:
    /dynmap hide
    /dynmap show

---General Minecraft Information---
    For you newcomers to Minecraft who have never played before, please make sure that you read the General Minecraft Information document first before asking questions about how to play the game. Using the reference information and learning the basics in single player first is a great way to get started rather than simply diving straight into multiplayer right after having bought the game. You may feel overwhelmed playing on your own, but you don't need to be. Being armed with basic gameplay knowledge and experience in single player BEFORE you join any multiplayer server will make your play much more enjoyable and helps you add to that community quickly.

Welcome to the game and happy minecrafting,
    -------The uRPS staff and community-------
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DRoseDARs; 28-01-2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Sever updated to 1.7.2

Activated Node

A map of the server can be found here:

http://raycore.org/rpsmap/web/
    Last edited by rustyshakelford2; 08-02-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Obscure Node
    sucks that I can't play right now and so close to finishing my lodge too :(. I'm In the middle of moving with my Desktop packed away and my laptop almost goes into meltdown at the mere mention of 3d games XD

I think it would be good to have a note somewhere what version the server is running at. Either in the first post or next to the address in the address document. People may be thinking that the server just doesn't work, while we wait for the mods to be updated.

Ha, finally a new thread in this awesome new forum.

Look at what I can do!

You could also link the 1.4_01 jar in the first post, because sooner or later someone will need it. http://www.mediafire.com/?uudj35up3dagl93

Network Hub
    That I can still edit the OP 2 days after starting the thread makes me happy. :)

So, when will the update hit the server? :D

Oh dear. New, shiny... FUNCTIONAL FORUMS!?
    -I like, is nais!
    *Edit* I can actually edit! AWWWWW YEEEEAAAAH!
    Last edited by Xerian; 09-06-2011 at 04:13 PM.
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
    Oscar Wilde

Excellently maniacal Steam-powered automaton.

Also known as Maniac, Maniacal Dane, Ulysses, (Mr)Centauri, Scorpion, Hyperion, Xerrow & Zaerow.

Activated Node
    Ooh... I'm liking the new colors.
    Last edited by KirbyS; 25-07-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Yeehaa. Finally found this thread. Welcome everyone back!

Hey rob! :3
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
    Oscar Wilde

Also known as Maniac, Maniacal Dane, Ulysses, (Mr)Centauri, Scorpion, Hyperion, Xerrow & Zaerow.

This forum totally needs smileys!

Activated Node
    I agree with weed

Agreed, smilies are awesome. Now somebody come play with me! Its bloody dead 'n' dry on the server. GET YER BUMS MOVIN.
    Oscar Wilde

Obscure Node
    I'm sorry, but I don't see how badgering the admins is going to help getting the server updated faster.

Who's badgering?
    I just asked when the update will hit the server.
    And in case you meant rusty's smiley, go on.

Network Hub
    *sigh* Right there in the OP:

"Asking us when we're updating does not accelerate the speed at which the plugins we rely upon update. Just because Bukkit has updated does NOT mean all of our plugins have updated as well."

If I knew how to do it competently myself, I would. I don't and therefore don't wish to monkey with it and screw things up. Besides, b1.7 is coming up and looks to be a big one feature-wise. Updating the server is a pain in the ass (Jon and Elt could easily speak to that) so maybe b1.7 will be our next move. We skipped b1.5 completely since there were reports of a nasty chunk-eating bug and there was no way in Hell we were risking that. Regardless, don't worry so much about it. It's a chance to play with singleplayer to experiment with things there before using here. I've had times here in recently when there were several peps on all at once, and other times where it was just me and the sheep. I'm presently working on a pixel art thingy in the park north of East Sub, as well as another project elsewhere. It's nice when others are on to talk to while wool-and-inksac farming, but we all have lives outside of the game too. *shrugs shoulders, punches seapig*

I've been quite lonely on the server as of late, first peeps I've seen on has been dighappyprimate and R0nd. Get yer' butt on and I'll chat with ya' ;)
    -And heck, I dont mind the long wait on updates, cause it'd be rather retarded without most of our plugins, and if theres annoying bugs... Well, then screw updating ;)
    Last edited by Xerian; 09-06-2011 at 11:35 PM.
    Oscar Wilde

Howdy chaps!

I'll happily be back on whenever the update happens. While it's not that hard to swap out the .jar, I've taken it as a blessing in disguise to give me plenty of time / opportunity to sink some time into various single player games I've had lying around.

That said, it's still only one infinitely re-playable game amongst Brink, L4D2, Darkspore. But still gives me a good chunk to actually BEAT some games. :) Look forward to the grand revival! I'm with Xerian, take your time and do it right. These frequent updates have got to be a nightmare I can only imagine.