Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SSD Troubles. Anybody have any ideas?

Yay I got a decent 256gig SSD as a gift and I can finally cross that off my list so all I need is a new motherboard and graphics card to make my machine fly!!! Boo it's not working. By not working I mean, I have installed windows 7 absolutely fine, even managed to install drivers and all that jazz but here comes to the issue. Whenever I try and open an application (take ie down on the task bar for instance) it trys to boot up and doesn't work, I've even seen the process jump up on task manager to make sure it's working. I was a bit confused about this so rather than the shortcut on the task bar I tried it from the start menu... Same again. I then ran it as an adminstrator and BAM straight in. I've reinstalled Win7 ultimate twice now with two differen't disks, both SP1 and the ISOs downloaded from technet (one being a couple of months old the other a few hours).

So I'm very confused. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Slick_101
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Well, not necessarily an SSD issue, but you might want to make sure you set it up right (AHCI mode) and perhaps try updating the drive's firmware.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    enable ahci in the bios
    install your motherboard chipset drivers

surprised at the amount of PC geeks who are unaware of the need to set up AHCI and chipset drivers properly. Windows 7 has made you all soft!
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Is this a clean install? No migration of user settings or anything like that? If you create a clean (new) user account and login with it do you still have problems?

Okay so I've had a bit of a tinker today I've unplugged all the other drives in my machine and turn AHCI on. So all that's plugged in is the SSD and the Blu-ray reader/writer. And it's still having the issues. I can't access the user accounts in control as its just freezing on that window. Anybody else have any ideas?

System specs as I can't edit my post on my phone.
    MSI P67A-GD55 motherboard with 8 gig XMS ram, ASUS xonar DS 7.1 sound card, crucial V4 (I know it should be an M4 but it was a Christmas present so no nit-picking) SSD and 450GTS SLI

Quote Originally Posted by slick_101 View Post
    Okay so I've had a bit of a tinker today I've unplugged all the other drives in my machine and turn AHCI on. So all that's plugged in is the SSD and the Blu-ray reader/writer. And it's still having the issues. I can't access the user accounts in control as its just freezing on that window. Anybody else have any ideas?
    let me guess, you didn't install Intel's Chipset Drivers.
    Steam profile

I installed the drivers that were on the CD. I swapped it from the "hot swap" on the case to actually plugging in directly in via the SATA ports there and it seems to be able to run a normal, I'll grab the latest chipset drivers from MSI though I have some currently installed.

I installed the drivers that were on the CD. I swapped it from the "hot swap" on the case to actually plugging in directly in via the SATA ports there and it seems to be able to run a normal, I'll grab the latest chipset drivers from MSI though I have some currently installed.
    download directly from intel. Google this:
    Intel inf
    Steam profile

Downloaded and installed. Now for some for some re-wiring to make everything work properly and fit inside. After its installed some updates

If you installed Windows in IDE mode rather than AHCI, you need to do a clean install after enabling AHCI. Or fiddle with the registry.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Get into the System Event logs and look for stuff in there.

If you launch a program and it doesn't launch there WILL be something in the Event Logs telling you why it didn't launch.

As for IDE vs AHCI - Windows installed in IDE won't even boot in AHCI mode, there are ways to switch it but if it started AOK, that's not the problem (tho SSDs should be in AHCI mode always AFAIK!)

Update: I did a fresh install after formatting the disk, the issues that threw me was I thought I'd turned AHCI on when I did my first install with win 7 on my mechanical drives must of switched back when I unplugged everything on and only had the SSD and the Blu-ray/DVD reader. Now everything is running fine. Had a couple of driver issues with my Sound card but that was just drivers being stupid.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Slick_101

I'd like to piggyback in with a problem. I've got a new SSD - It loads everything amazingly well once I've booted, but boot times are similar to what I'd expect from an HDD. It's in AHCI mode. Anything else I can do to ensure it boots as quick as it should?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    I'd like to piggyback in with a problem. I've got a new SSD - It loads everything amazingly well once I've booted, but boot times are similar to what I'd expect from an HDD. It's in AHCI mode. Anything else I can do to ensure it boots as quick as it should?
    I'm not an expert but your question is a bit vague. What OS? Clean install or no? What load times are we talking about? And what SSD do you have? Is it SATA or PCI-E? What MoBo? Is it perhaps some low-end one?

It just so happened that now with New year break I'm about to try installing my OCZ Revo Drive X2 again. Now with all necessary tinkering( firmwire updates, BIOS updates etc etc). Last time it stopped working( it's a raid from 4 ssd's I think so raid somehow crashed) and I just threw it somewher to lie for a year, 2HDD RAID0 isn't slow too. I also have an OCZ Agility 4 SSD that I borrowed for testing from workplace( officially). Wish me luck.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 30-12-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Obscure Node
    have u checked for viruses?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    There's more to boot speed than just buying an SSD but before we debug your startup stuff - have you run something like HDTach and compared the performance you're getting with what you SHOULD be getting.

There's more to installing an SSD than plugging it in - you usually have to fuck around with BIOS settings, firmware upgrades (poss. Bios, almost certainly SSD) and then check drivers on your PC are correct for the unit you're using/motherboard etc.

HDTach - or any similar HD testing tool - is the place to start tho - check it's installed properly...

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    surprised at the amount of PC geeks who are unaware of the need to set up AHCI and chipset drivers properly. Windows 7 has made you all soft!
    I'm about to install a Seagate Barracuda as a backup/Steam install drive alongside my main Windows 7 drive. Is this something I have to contend with?
    steam

Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    I'm about to install a Seagate Barracuda as a backup/Steam install drive alongside my main Windows 7 drive. Is this something I have to contend with?
    Oh yes, definitely. For SSDs, you want AHCI mainly to enable TRIM. For HDDs, you want AHCI mainly to enable NCQ. Which lets it reorder its I/Os to better fit the location of the data on the disk. Pics are nice:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Installing HDDs doesn't usually incur the issues - but it' worth making sure you are using AHCI - it's easy to swap if you're not.

I swapped this PC from IDE to AHCI following this simple guide and it worked thereon in - I'd only chosen IDE originally because I had an old drive which wasn't recognised in AHCI mode anyway tho - most people will be on AHCI by default.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/98...lling-windows/

No advantage to it with this system thanks to the crappy nForce controller but hey ho!!

Note: Everyone should be running the correct chipset drivers for their motherboard but it's often hard to find those - mobo manufacturers tend not to update drivers beyond the first few months of the mobos existence and working-out which drivers you need from the chipset makers themselves is part artform and part animal entrail reading...

The only exception are nForce boards running SSDs which MUST run the Windows default drivers because the nVidia drivers don't support TRIM and other stuff and will often run SSDs in SATA(1) mode (defeating the point of having one) otherwise. Nicely - the standard Windows drivers on this PC cause long freezes with my Samsung HDD so I can't do that either... :(