Banned

Rage - The Well is DOOM

http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/03/new-...u-to-the-well/

@3:36, I couldn't help but think of E1M1.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I'm just shocked that early press releases stated they were aiming for a "T" rating... While they were drawing up concepts for dynamite bolts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FLBR View Post
    http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/03/new-...u-to-the-well/

e1m1? what the hell? Why?

There is no green armour on a pedestal looking out to some mountains or a zigzag and a slime pit.

Obscure Node
    I can't say I've ever been too impressed or excited by what I've seen of Rage up to this point, and the Xbox footage doesn't help. Though, this trailer went a little further, and actually had me rolling my eyes at the cliched Bethesdaesque "let me give you some tidbits about my daily life before employing you into some kind of quest that only you can accomplish" interactions with the faceless populous. I mean, it's a mad max wild west. How about some hostility, some threats, some distrust and crook-eyed silent glares? Granted, I'm nitpicking, but I just can't get over how plain it comes off as.

Quote Originally Posted by FLBR View Post
    In DOOM you wouldn't wait 3:36 until being able to shoot a baddie :-P. Nor have to walk carefully around, hide behind stuff, etc just run straight to the action and blow demon heads with the shotgun :-P.

Having said that, it looks like a good game which is the least we can expect from id (although i would prefer a great game but anyway). The talking animations were weird though, especially the girl's - she's talking with her teeth instead of lips (also, nitpick, her closing line didn't seem to be in, eh, line with the emotion her actor gave).

RAGE seems to be more story-oriented than previous id games. I wonder how (and if) they manage to pull that off. Id isn't a company i expect to write good stories. On the other hand i was thinking the same about Monolith before FEAR and i played that game for it's story despite the balancing flaws it had.
    ~bs~

Funny thing is that id demo'd this level at last year's E3 too:

Doesn't look a bit E1M1-ish to me. And though it was too slow-paced for my liking, at least it's not Doom 3-slow.
    List of things I liked about this trailer: 1) apparently the game has at least some music (yes, Doom 3, I'm looking at you again); 2) the mind control thing. That would be all.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Wow, negativity! Okay, I haven't really been following this game and also didn't pay much attention to the opening section, as I've got music playing and lowered the sound on the video, but the action bits looked really good. Nice selection of weapons and some fun customisation to be had by the looks of things. As long as there is more and the best is not shown here than I'm quite impressed.

The level design also looked a bit more interesting than the standard FPS of today. There was actually some looking up and down! You can't really tell how much that will follow through the whole game, but it looks promising from this. Combat looked solid too, if a little slower than a regular Id game. Limited to four weapons at a time by the looks of things, but that is certainly better than the usual two and should allow for some experimentation.

The only real negative thing I would say is that doesn't appear as graphically exciting as the usual Id game and certainly not as impressive as they wanted us to believe when it was originally announced. Texture quality didn't seem very good up close and the animation on the models was mediocre. The aforementioned facial animation and lip-syncing in particular looked atrocious (it's amazing Source still doesn't seem bettered.)

Perhaps it is just my low expectations for shootery fun of late (barring the multiplayer centric Brink and Section 8: Prejudice,) but this video made me want to keep an eye on Rage.

Oh and by the way, are Rage trailers showing console version, or will the PC one have these awful weapon-selection menus designed for analog sticks?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This looks awesome. Hope my computer run it well.

Id makes great looking games with mediocre gameplay.

Network Hub
    The demoed version showed featured both "Press E to talk", and the odd weapon selection menu, so I'm assuming they're in the PC build (unless they inexplicably changed version between cuts).

It looked really unlike they were using a mouse though?

Obscure Node
    Yes, they were absolutely using a controller. That's not uncommon, though. The smoother movements make gameplay demos seem more immersive and easier to follow along with. There's usually also the side effect of the demo player missing enemies uncontrollably in an almost laughable manner.

I guess it's worth noting that--while I feel the dialog is a bit uninspired and trite--the combat is looking a little better from previous trailers. The slow-but-steady pacing of the combat could be interesting, though it's strange to see that Id are the ones going for it. I'm not sure I like the use of different types of ammo yet, at least not the electro-bolts as they're played the fuck out anymore, but the jury's still out on that one.

The actual gun weapons themselves, however, seem horrendously underwhelming. Too much gun, too little umph, but like I said, they're looking better than previous demos. The crossbow, specifically, is atrocious. A weapon should never encompass a third of the entire field of view. That sort of shit is really becoming unforgivable, though developers rarely seem to take notice.

The one thing I really like, however, is the death animations. The animations themselves are great, but the transition from animation to rag -doll looks especially seamless.
    Last edited by treat; 04-06-2011 at 11:21 PM.