Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 251

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936

    If You Buy Diablo 3, You're Contributing to the Worsening of PC Gaming

    Just read this...

    That's what you're getting if you buy Diablo 3. You're contributing to the slow and painful corruption of gaming into something that can only be described as a horrible greed machine.

    Do NOT buy this game. Buy Torchlight 2 instead. Buy anything that isn't an Activision product.

    Do you really want this happening to more game series?

    P.S. Don't talk crap here about how it's a business' job to make money. Hell, it might be. You know what your job as a consumer is? To tell the business to go fuck themselves. NOT defend them.

    EDIT: Read this, on why Blizzard is making their games online.

    EDIT2: You're going to buy a game off these guys?
    Last edited by R-F; 05-08-2011 at 05:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Hyperbole much?
    But yeah, probably won't buy it. Wasn't ever planning to, though; can't possibly be even half as good as the predecessor. I practically grew up with that game.

  3. #3
    Network Hub slick_101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    50° 51' 43" -1° 15' 21"
    Posts
    227
    I was really pumped for this after seeing some game play a while ago. Now. I really can't be arsed with it. Why can't they go back to what they used to be...
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,384
    Quote Originally Posted by IXKraKenIX View Post
    I Will be pirating and playing on tunngle now, Fuck Activision/Blizzard
    Yes, validate their draconian software by becoming the very thing they claim you are – that’ll show em! Or you could just not play the game. Is that so hard? Look, you’re doing it right now.

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,384
    Very dramatic. Are we so shocked about this? The signs were all there months, perhaps even years in advance. I won’t be buying it, but neither will I start a campaign and rub elbows with people whose threats mysteriously evaporate when their friends get the game.

  6. #6
    Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    608
    I agree. Too bad that won't stop 2-3 million people from buying the game.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Düsseldorf
    Posts
    1,828
    I don't like Torchlight. I can't stand the nondescript semi-steampunk-setting-with-guns. I don't like the cartoony World-of-Warcraft-monsters. Not enough classes, skilltrees, playability.

    I didn't really like Diablo 2 very much. The setting and story were really cool, and I enjoyed the skill-trees, but the game itself lacked the atmosphere of the first part (which I played way too long, way too much).


    And then I learned about the simplified skilltrees for the classes. :(
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

  8. #8
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    88
    I havn't and will not buy an activision game since the MW2 no dedis debacle, and I won't be pirating it either.

  9. #9
    Lesser Hivemind Node Flint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manchester / Finland
    Posts
    933
    Yeah the skilltree simplification/change is probably the thing I'm personally miffed about the most.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

  10. #10
    Lesser Hivemind Node Harlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Weymouth, UK
    Posts
    941
    Do you have to call it 'rape'? Is it just me, or is that just a little bit crass?

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hamilton, UK
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Do you have to call it 'rape'? Is it just me, or is that just a little bit crass?
    You're clearly underestimating how this is destroying everything good that there has ever been.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Do you have to call it 'rape'? Is it just me, or is that just a little bit crass?
    It's not just you.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Do you have to call it 'rape'? Is it just me, or is that just a little bit crass?
    It's only crass if you don't know what rape means, really.

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    It's only crass if you don't know what rape means, really.
    Or if you're not a dick, really.

  15. #15
    Lesser Hivemind Node Spacewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Grandma's house, in the attic
    Posts
    670
    Would I be allowed to retcon my reason for not wanting to buy Diablo III to this because it sounds much more exciting and radical than saying it was because I first heard of Grim Dawn a few hours after first hearing about Diablo III.

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hamilton, UK
    Posts
    1,079
    Taking aside the fact that rape is clearly now most often used in one major, evocative way the title of the thread is still overblown. Even with "rape" used in the way you say you're using it.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Taking aside the fact that rape is clearly now most often used in one major, evocative way the title of the thread is still overblown. Even with "rape" used in the way you say you're using it.
    So you wouldn't say that what Activision does is a blatant exploitation and spoiling of major game IPs in order to make them pretty monies?

    ...Despite the fact that Bobby Kotick has pretty much said as much?

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hamilton, UK
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    So you wouldn't say that what Activision does is a blatant exploitation and spoiling of major game IPs in order to make them pretty monies?

    ...Despite the fact that Bobby Kotick has pretty much said as much?
    Where did I say that?

    I agree to some extent, even if the title is properly dramatic.

    To me the issue isn't with people who consider the issue and decide they just don't care enough about the changes. Everybody's got a right to decide what suits them best.

    If there is an issue it's people buying games just because of the name. And this extends beyond doing something bad for PC gaming.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Where did I say that?

    I agree to some extent, even if the title is properly dramatic.
    My point is that the title is accurate based off that definition. :p

    Anyway, let's get back on topic...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    To me the issue isn't with people who consider the issue and decide they just don't care enough about the changes. Everybody's got a right to decide what suits them best.

    If there is an issue it's people buying games just because of the name. And this extends beyond doing something bad for PC gaming.
    I can agree with that, at least.

    And, yeah, the issue is people going "I LOVE BLIZZARD!" and eating the games up. It's the same with BioWare. People defend Dragon Age 2's flaws with great fury, but would they even be doing that if it wasn't a BioWare game? If it was made by some little Ukrainian developer? I seriously doubt it.

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hamilton, UK
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    And, yeah, the issue is people going "I LOVE BLIZZARD!" and eating the games up. It's the same with BioWare. People defend Dragon Age 2's flaws with great fury, but would they even be doing that if it wasn't a BioWare game? If it was made by some little Ukrainian developer? I seriously doubt it.
    It'd go one way or the other. Let's not forget there are a good names of utterly broken games by smaller developers that get let off the hook on the basis of (essentially) good intentions. It goes both ways. And (this is actually a different thing, so I won't dwell on it long) that sort of demeans smaller developers to be honest. When a game on that sort of budget gets the "Well it's sort of broken and we'd never forgive a big studio for it but we love it because they're spunky!" it's basically "Well we couldn't expect them to make a polished product eh? The little scamps."

    I'd be interested to know how many people simply don't/won't keep up with game news before release and are then disappointed when they discover.... something (not being able to play offline, for example) but because they're not going on forums, etc. don't voice their opinion. And probably make the same mistake again in future.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I disagree: it reflects the health and worth of the industry. For all that we complain about a lack of innovation in the industry, and for all the scepticism and hostility with which the idea of games as something other than mindless diversions is received in certain quarters, the fact is that one game is not easily substituted for another. If I want to play Modern Warfare 3 then I want to play Modern Warfare-fucking 3, not Battlefield 3 or any of the other games that are at least superficially similar to it. That publishers are able to exploit their customers to this degree - successfully - is another arrow in the quiver demonstrating that games are more art than product. Toothbrushes can be easily substituted for one another, the Mona Lisa cannot.
    I think you misunderstood me (or I'm misunderstanding you.) My issue isn't that a game may be perceived as a money-driven sequel or lacking innovation or any of those things. And I don't have a single qualm with developers continuing/milking (as a given gamer sees fit) a series either.

    My point is that if it was announced that Modern Warfare 3 was announced to be a very different kind of game it'd probably still sell shitloads purely because some people wouldn't have been paying any attention and are buying a name not a game. It happens everywhere, and in gaming it's no different. And it arguably has detrimental effects on what games get made. How many times do we see one series get continually worse purely because they know it'll sell? They've got mortgages to pay and food to buy, and if they're in it for the business reasons fair play to them. But it still bugs me that people keep throwing money at them and giving them no reason to care about making a better game. Not flecking-the-screen-with-spittle-while-I-rage, just annoyed.

    I'm not concerned by the motivations of a developer (within reason).
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •