Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    ah okay, I was gettin worried that this place was turning into Destructoid. I give my blessings :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jp0249107 View Post
    ah okay, I was gettin worried that this place was turning into Destructoid. I give my blessings :)
    I'm fairly sure it's all in good humour, it's just video games afterall... Frankly, Tei has already won the thread though.

As a lighthearted interval:

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    And it's funny, because every time they do something like that, people in the minority that got really pissed off that time announce that "this is the end of WoW" because they're leaving and everyone will come with them. No-one does. It's been like this since they added in honour points in patch 1.4 or something. Every change annoys some people, but the subs numbers remain high.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Having no leaderboard for pvp is kinda strange. I tried to imagine Diablo as a game for casuals, and can't. So I made this picture to help me on that, on visualize Diablo as a casuals game...

trollolololol

Too scary though! Needs more coins and jewels as casual gamers are attracted by shiny things.

<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>
    Last edited by heretic; 03-08-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I think Vinraith put it best.
    It looks fun to me, I will buy and play it. Sorry I'm not hardcore enough to be into PC game politics and take moral stances on behalf of other players, but I just like to play fun games. Sue me.

Banned
    So why not do micro-transactions?
    I answered this in the same point a bit further down.

A publicly traded company are trying to find the best way to make the most money... it isn't a public service and I don't see anything wrong with it, frankly. If you don't like it you stop playing. I just don't see that as evil.
    Wow, I hate this defence. So much. Especially since I answered it in the first post of the thread.

No-one is forced to play WoW, Blizzard's best option for making the most money is to get as many subscriptions as they can, which means making the game as fun as possible for as many people as possible. Will that piss off a few minorities as they go? Of course it will. And it's funny, because every time they do something like that, people in the minority that got really pissed off that time announce that "this is the end of WoW" because they're leaving and everyone will come with them. No-one does. It's been like this since they added in honour points in patch 1.4 or something. Every change annoys some people, but the subs numbers remain high.
    WoW is actually hemmoraging subscribers at the minute. Warcraft Census' "past six months to two years" have been conveniently "crashed" for about four months now, but when I saw them you had the initial influx of old players for the expansion and then it IMMEDIATELY (within a month) dropped back down to pre-Cataclysm levels. It was steadily decreasing, too.

It's the same game though. Combat mechanics haven't changed that much. And I stopped reading mostly because it made him sound like a nutcase. I did skim the rest though, and it's all pure speculation. There's no investigation in there. He's just invented a narrative that suits his points and put it on top of historical events. It's like a Dan Brown novel. With clumsier writing.
    It's really not the same game. The mechanics have changed, the focus has changed, the gameplay has changed. It's a completely different game within the same engine.

It's called analysis of events. He does it quite deftly and it's pretty much accurate, as far as it's possible to tell. Especially since it links up to quotes made by Bobby Kotick.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Wow, I hate this defence. So much.
    Me too, but it's the reality of publicly traded companies.

WoW is actually hemmoraging subscribers at the minute. Warcraft Census' "past six months to two years" have been conveniently "crashed" for about four months now, but when I saw them you had the initial influx of old players for the expansion and then it IMMEDIATELY (within a month) dropped back down to pre-Cataclysm levels. It was steadily decreasing, too.
    It's in decline. But even if it declines at the phenomenally fast rate that it was growing at (which generally doesn't happen, it goes much slower) then it has a solid five years left before it dips below launch numbers. People are just burned out on it, it's natural. They're not people quitting because of changes, they're people quitting as they've just had enough. I mean, if Blizzard are as profit focused and evil as we think, then they're not going to risk the cash-cow with something crazy.

You're making the mistake a lot of people make, and that's thinking that the people who post on forums are the player base. They're not, they're a tiny minority that self-select as the most obsessive about the game. Blizzard makes most choices based on the metrics they gather from the silent majority.

If Blizzard abuses its player base then they will stop playing. It's that simple. Blizzard have to appease them. And if the argument is that the players like being abused, well then the players are still topping from the bottom so to speak.

I don't deny Blizzard want to make money, but the best way to do that is to make something that a lot of people want to play, be it WoW or Diablo. That's going to upset some people, but if Diablo 3 sells the same numbers as Diablo 2... then it won't even break even.

Banned
    Me too, but it's the reality of publicly traded companies.
    True, but people use that defence when they don't have anything else.

It's in decline. But even if it declines at the phenomenally fast rate that it was growing at (which generally doesn't happen, it goes much slower) then it has a solid five years left before it dips below launch numbers. People are just burned out on it, it's natural. They're not people quitting because of changes, they're people quitting as they've just had enough. I mean, if Blizzard are as profit focused and evil as we think, then they're not going to risk the cash-cow with something crazy.
    Blizzard already did that with Cataclysm. The complete reforming of the game experience has driven a LOT of older players off in an attempt to get newer players to stick around longer. It hasn't worked, judging by Blizzard's new "play up to level twenty for free" stuff.

You're making the mistake a lot of people make, and that's thinking that the people who post on forums are the player base. They're not, they're a tiny minority that self-select as the most obsessive about the game. Blizzard makes most choices based on the metrics they gather from the silent majority.
    I'm really not. I'm judging this based on the most accurate data I can find (which, admittedly, is not very much but is significant), which is to say WoW Census. Before someone tells me how terrible a tool it is, yes, it's not all that great for showing figures (still, though, 4 million characters found in the EU/US, wow, is that all?) but it's amazing for showing trends. And the trend showed that WoW was losing subscribers more than ever before.

If Blizzard abuses its player base then they will stop playing. It's that simple. Blizzard have to appease them. And if the argument is that the players like being abused, well then the players are still topping from the bottom so to speak.
    Which they already are. Why do people make this argument so much? I'm trying to bring a message to more people on the internet and they're telling me that if people are informed and don't like the changes they'll quit. It's just like: ???

I've talked to numerous people that didn't even know about the game mechanics changes in D3 because they "didn't want to spoil it for them". Since I've told them, they've said they're NOT going to buy it. They just weren't informed.

I don't deny Blizzard want to make money, but the best way to do that is to make something that a lot of people want to play, be it WoW or Diablo. That's going to upset some people, but if Diablo 3 sells the same numbers as Diablo 2... then it won't even break even.
    I think a lot of WoW fans will transfer over and it'll probably hurt WoW's subscriptions even more. I suspect Diablo 3 will either have major amounts of DLC (new classes? new dungeons? who even knows?), purchases of cash shop items (cosmetics as you've said) or Blizzard are going to make a LOT more money off this cash AH than they're letting on.

I suspect this is why they made the decision to split Starcraft 2 into three seperate parts. If they hadn't done this, they'd never have been able to recoup their expenses, and I seriously doubt they have on Wings of Liberty. What they have done, though, is shoot themselves in the foot on this. If they don't make the versions standalone, people will bitch and whine they've done it on purpose in order to fleece money on their customers (which, of course, they actually did do), but since they have they've actually made it so the next two games will have a MUCH lower purchase rate than Wings of Liberty.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I prefer "spirited" - it's got a bit heated but no-one's been insulted
    We could make it violent, though by gods I don't rightly know how. Maybe I'll stab you through your computer's monitor.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    We could make it violent, though by gods I don't rightly know how. Maybe I'll stab you through your computer's monitor.
    Killing someone with an axe from their monitor would bring new meaning to the word "hacker".
    Last edited by R-F; 04-08-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Killing someone with an axe from their monitor would bring new meaning to the word "hacker".
    If I were a forum mod, I'd invent a method to administer electric shocks to people via their keyboards.

Identifying trolls would be obvious by their burnt fingers and habit of wearing rubber gloves while typing.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    If I were a forum mod, I'd invent a method to administer electric shocks to people via their keyboards.

Identifying trolls would be obvious by their burnt fingers and habit of wearing rubber gloves while typing.
    I think flaming trolls is the best PUNishment.

Shit, where's the cool glasses emote on this forum? Screw it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Given the potential applications for SM cyber-sex I'm fairly sure someone is working on that already...

Network Hub
    Damn you, now I ended up reading that long-ass article xD

Also, you should have kept it "rape", I think I liked "rape" more.

Seeing that after about ~2-3 days a lot of the understandable rage has died down a bit and laid way to justifications "It's not so bad... i'm always Online anyway", "Mods? I never liked mods to begin with!" or "They're only doing it to stop the goldfarmers! As a safe way to buy items instead!" I am really starting to wonder though WHAT exactly they would have to for a large amount of people to wake up and do something about it, because at the rate this goes on I wouldn't be surprised to read "But they need the anal probe to sit on! It protects my account from getting hacked and it measures my excitement to "enhance"(TM) my playing "experience"(TM).

I mean, apparently the "RealID" thing was a catalyst that overloaded their account cancellation page so much it was unreachable (or they took it offline themselves) where they wisely decided that posting everyone's real name on their forums would be a gloriously great idea. But even then amongst all the rage you could read things like "It's alright, you don't have to post if you don't want to. Also it'll eliminate all those forum trolls!" and it died down very fast after their retraction barely to be uttered again...
    Last edited by Dexter; 04-08-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Damn you, now I ended up reading that long-ass article xD

Seeing that after about ~2-3 days a lot of the understandable rage has died down a bit and laid way to justifications "It's not so bad... i'm always Online anyway", "Mods? I never liked mods to begin with!" or "They're only doing it to stop the goldfarmers! As a safe way to buy items instead!" I am really starting to wonder though WHAT exactly they would have to for a large amount of people to wake up and do something about it, because at the rate this goes on I wouldn't be surprised to read "But they need the anal probe to sit on! It protects my account from getting hacked and it measures my excitement to "enhance"(TM) my playing "experience"(TM).

I mean, apparently the "RealID" thing was a catalyst that overloaded their account cancellation page so much it was unreachable (or they took it offline themselves) where they wisely decided that posting everyone's real name on their forums would be a gloriously great idea. But even then amongst all the rage you could read things like "It's alright, you don't have to post if you don't want to. Also it'll eliminate all those forum trolls!"...
    Make beer unpalatable. They would have to make all beer unpalatable.

Then there would be riots in the streets.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I mean, apparently the "RealID" thing was a catalyst that overloaded their account cancellation page so much it was unreachable (or they took it offline themselves) where they wisely decided that posting everyone's real name on their forums would be a gloriously great idea. But even then amongst all the rage you could read things like "It's alright, you don't have to post if you don't want to. Also it'll eliminate all those forum trolls!"...
    The RealID thing was interesting as I loved the idea behind it, but there were a few niggling practical problems that wouldn't make it work. The main one being people didn't want other people to know that they played World of Warcraft. Facebook runs the same system though, for example. And it would have improved the forums. I could see where they were coming from, but that idea was about 10 years ahead of its time I imagine.

The RealID thing was interesting as I loved the idea behind it, but there were a few niggling practical problems that wouldn't make it work. The main one being people didn't want other people to know that they played World of Warcraft. Facebook runs the same system though, for example. And it would have improved the forums. I could see where they were coming from, but that idea was about 10 years ahead of its time I imagine.
    Facebook's privacy concerns notwithstanding.

RealID was a horrible idea - and the backlash was wholly justified - for exactly the same reason Facebook gets a lot of flak. Comparing RealID to Facebook isn't doing it any favors.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Facebook's privacy concerns notwithstanding.

RealID was a horrible idea - and the backlash was wholly justified - for exactly the same reason Facebook gets a lot of flak. Comparing RealID to Facebook isn't doing it any favors.
    I liked the theory. I can see the need for anonymity on the internet, but not for discussing a video-game.

Except:

John Smith can flame whoever he wants and remain anonymous, while Ion Chowdhury really can't. Using names isn't a level playing field.

Videogames still have a stigma, WoW especially, some potential employees Googling you and finding a (well written, balanced, polite) discussion on the precise problems of rogues in PvP are going to be turned off.

The Guardian had a good article on it today, after the whole thing with the guy off Dragon's Den. I do like the idea of having certain areas of the internet where discussions take place under people's real names, with everyone equally identifiable.

Banned
    Trust me when I say I didn't change it. Although "worsening" is the word I would've went for in an attempt to be as facetious as possible, so good job on that mods.

"Blizzard is a PUBLICLY TRADED COMPANY! They need to be able to make MONEY. And if I can help them by having something rectally inserted into my anal cavity in order to measure my pleasure when I'm doing certain things, THEN I AM FINE WITH THAT!"

Network Hub
    That's why I wouldn't touch Facebook and its ilk with a 10-foot pole, not to mention that they can and do track you all over the web, even here on RPS, they know who you are, they know you looked at an article and they even know for how long and other things via Tracking Cookies and embedded Plugins like all those "I Like" buttons you see everywhere and they can make an online-profile of you and every place you went online from as long as you "logged in" to FaceBook.

It's Privacy nightmare, and we all know what their CEO thinks about "Privacy":
    http://www.businessinsider.com/well-these-new-zuckerberg-ims-wont-help-facebooks-privacy-problems-2010-5
    but that's another topic entirely...
    Last edited by Dexter; 04-08-2011 at 02:59 PM.