Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 251
  1. #21
    Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    559
    You know what's disturbing, that maybe one day this will be normal. It started with Ubisofts draconic DRM & now it's spreading. I just hope Diablo 3 wont make this kind of DRM more widespread.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    You know what's disturbing, that maybe one day this will be normal. It started with Ubisofts draconic DRM & now it's spreading. I just hope Diablo 3 wont make this kind of DRM more widespread.
    This is where it starts, to be perfectly honest. When people buy this game, they send the message that this is perfectly fine to publishers and developers. And, hey, if it doesn't effect sales and gives them more money and more control, why would they NOT do this?

  3. #23
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Using the correct language to describe a thing is so terrible, I'm sure.
    Language evolve? Unpossible!

  4. #24
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Language evolve? Unpossible!
    not sure what's your problem with the word rape here... seems valid too me. Might be an exaggeration but that's not your point isn't it?


    i am alright with shops' drm. whatever gg, d2d, steam, impulse, green gaming have. If you are alright with one drm you buy from a vendor which has that drm.

    this drm on diablo 3 is complete nonsense like ubisofts' drm is. I loathed diablo 2 as it was repetitiveness after first act so I cannot boycott the game as I would have never bought it in the first place. Nevertheless I fear for the future of gaming, what Blizzard is doing, what Ubisoft is doing. The times when you just played the game, do whatever you wanted with it is probably gone.

    Might give a torchlight 2 a chance. Skipped the first one.

  5. #25
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,555
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Using the correct language to describe a thing is so terrible, I'm sure.

    Dictionary.com
    7. to plunder (a place); despoil.
    TheFreeDictionary.com
    3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.
    3. To plunder or pillage.

    I'd quote a bunch more, but I'm lazy.
    What I want to say is that you're using the 7th and 3rd definition of the word, which demonstrates it isn't exactly the most common usage. I also want to question your intent in using that word, as if you just mean 'plunder' or 'despoil' then why not use one of those two words instead? I want to suggest that the reason you picked 'rape' was specifically because of its disturbing sexual connotations to add emphasis to your argument.

    I want to do all that but I am a child and what I really want to say is "Yes, but have you seen how PC gaming has been dressing recently? It's totally asking for it."

  6. #26
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,174
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Using the correct language to describe a thing is so terrible, I'm sure.
    Dictionary.com:
    Terrible -- causing awe.
    Sure -- always effective; free from exposure to harm.
    Language -- the specialized vocabulary used by a particular group; any other systematic or nonsystematic means of communicating, such as gesture or animal sounds.
    Describe --to draw a line or figure, such as a circle.

    I can play too :D

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Language evolve? Unpossible!
    Please stop being a really crappy troll in my thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Dictionary.com:
    Terrible -- causing awe.
    Sure -- always effective; free from exposure to harm.
    Language -- the specialized vocabulary used by a particular group; any other systematic or nonsystematic means of communicating, such as gesture or animal sounds.
    Describe --to draw a line or figure, such as a circle.

    I can play too :D
    Good job on cutting off half of the definition and not putting links.

    Like Terrible:3. exciting terror, awe, or great fear; dreadful; awful.
    Sure: That's not even there, you are a blatant liar.
    Language (World English Dictionary is used as the source for these, not dictionary.com): 4. any other systematic or nonsystematic means of communicating, such as gesture or animal sounds: the language of love
    5. the specialized vocabulary used by a particular group: medical language
    Describe: Again, World English Dictionary. This one's pretty accurate, though.

    I'm also not at all getting your point here. These are correct, just a bit archaic, what are you even trying to say?

    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    What I want to say is that you're using the 7th and 3rd definition of the word, which demonstrates it isn't exactly the most common usage. I also want to question your intent in using that word, as if you just mean 'plunder' or 'despoil' then why not use one of those two words instead? I want to suggest that the reason you picked 'rape' was specifically because of its disturbing sexual connotations to add emphasis to your argument.
    Who expects it to be the most common usage, really? :p

    And the reason I don't use plunder or despoil is because they're not really exactly rape. Rape includes elements of despoilation, plundering AND exploitation, as a word.

  8. #28
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Please stop being a really crappy troll in my thread.
    I wouldn't have mentioned it had someone else not brought it up; what with the prevalence of 'pillage and plunder' in online gaming culture more broadly, your example is hardly worthy of note. But the question was asked, and I answered. If you can't handle the fact that a great many folks are going to think you're a tool for using the word 'rape' in contexts like this, well, you'll just have to deal with it.
    Last edited by Rii; 01-08-2011 at 02:24 PM.

  9. #29
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,555
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Who expects it to be the most common usage, really? :p

    And the reason I don't use plunder or despoil is because they're not really exactly rape. Rape includes elements of despoilation, plundering AND exploitation, as a word.
    Well it's a video game forum innit, and we all know that gaming, as a subculture, is the worst for trivialising the word rape: "I totally raped him at COD" or "that game totally raped me" or such. And people using that as slang are not working off the 'despoil' definition, they're using a shocking word initially in order to shock, and then because they always have done.

    The fact is that no-one here believes you sat down, carefully thought about what word you were going to use and decided 'rape' was the best one, at least because if you did a second more thought would have led to your realising how it could be misconstrued. You just typed something out in anger (your initial post doesn't even explain why you have a problem with what Blizzard are doing) and now are ferociously back-pedalling and attempting to justify it by going to dictionary definitions and trying to wriggle out of it.

    The nice thing about this place is that you can say you were a bit angry when you read the news, went a bit over the top, made a mistake and people will respect you more for it and we can carry on debating the actual topic. Or instead we can ignore it and keep discussing the appropriateness of one word in the title instead. I find both topics equally interesting so I don't really mind which we do.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    The fact is that no-one here believes you sat down, carefully thought about what word you were going to use and decided 'rape' was the best one, at least because if you did a second more thought would have led to your realising how it could be misconstrued. You just typed something out in anger (your initial post doesn't even explain why you have a problem with what Blizzard are doing) and now are ferociously back-pedalling and attempting to justify it by going to dictionary definitions and trying to wriggle out of it.
    Here is the thing though: I did think about it and it is the most appropriate word. Corruption was too fantasy to use, murder wasn't accurate, exploitation is close but not quite there and so it's the most accurate and appropriate word. Please, find me a more appropriate word.

  11. #31
    Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    559
    Jesus Christ people, calm the fuck down, so what if he used the word rape. Poetic freedom. You're just exaggerating something unimportant.

  12. #32
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hamilton, UK
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    So you wouldn't say that what Activision does is a blatant exploitation and spoiling of major game IPs in order to make them pretty monies?

    ...Despite the fact that Bobby Kotick has pretty much said as much?
    Where did I say that?

    I agree to some extent, even if the title is properly dramatic.

    To me the issue isn't with people who consider the issue and decide they just don't care enough about the changes. Everybody's got a right to decide what suits them best.

    If there is an issue it's people buying games just because of the name. And this extends beyond doing something bad for PC gaming.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

  13. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Where did I say that?

    I agree to some extent, even if the title is properly dramatic.
    My point is that the title is accurate based off that definition. :p

    Anyway, let's get back on topic...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    To me the issue isn't with people who consider the issue and decide they just don't care enough about the changes. Everybody's got a right to decide what suits them best.

    If there is an issue it's people buying games just because of the name. And this extends beyond doing something bad for PC gaming.
    I can agree with that, at least.

    And, yeah, the issue is people going "I LOVE BLIZZARD!" and eating the games up. It's the same with BioWare. People defend Dragon Age 2's flaws with great fury, but would they even be doing that if it wasn't a BioWare game? If it was made by some little Ukrainian developer? I seriously doubt it.

  14. #34
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    1,069
    Silly silly Blizzard, I'm not one for jumping on boycotts (bought Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, it was great), but the implicit support for gold farmers and the exploitation of poorly paid workers doesn't sit well with me at all.

    To the people saying 'Bobby Kotick raa raa', you have obviously bought in to the suggestion that blaming one man and directing your bile solely at this crafted figure of hatred is the right way to go about it. While he is probably partially responsible, the way he soaks up the hate offers a kind of protection to developers, Blizzard are just as culpable for this as him or Activision.
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

  15. #35
    Guys, in 5 years max offline games on PC probably won't exist anymore. Blame pirates for what is happening and not the companies that aren't "greedy" but need to pay the bills.
    if you like manga, RPG and dating sims, check my indie computer games

  16. #36
    Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    To the people saying 'Bobby Kotick raa raa'
    Pretty sure it's mostly a joke. Pantomime villain, etc.

    While he is probably partially responsible, the way he soaks up the hate offers a kind of protection to developers, Blizzard are just as culpable for this as him or Activision.
    Absolutely. And they're definitely to blame for the game design changes. Respec any time, at no cost? Terrible idea. Diablo isn't Guild Wars.

  17. #37
    Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by winterwolves View Post
    Guys, in 5 years max offline games on PC probably won't exist anymore.
    In five years, my money won't exist for companies who make such games. What a shame. Indies keep growing, and they're (mostly) sane.

    Blame pirates for what is happening and not the companies that aren't "greedy" but need to pay the bills.
    Yeah, because it's not like Activision is making record profits or anything. They're barely scraping by on WoW and CoD. Damn those Chinese and Indian pirates, they should be paying a full month's wages to get a legitimate copy of the game!

  18. #38
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    37
    In so quickly starting a flame war, I can accurately describe R-F as a massive faggot.

  19. #39
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Düsseldorf
    Posts
    1,776
    Quote Originally Posted by winterwolves View Post
    Guys, in 5 years max offline games on PC probably won't exist anymore. Blame pirates for what is happening and not the companies that aren't "greedy" but need to pay the bills.
    Ah come on. You're working in the industry as well - piracy is bad. Pirates are scum. Pirates are thieves. I can't wait for the day where we'll be allowed to actually penalize pirates.

    But blaming lost profit on piracy is quite silly. Especially when you see sales soaring for games like Witcher 2 on GOG or the Humble Indie Bundles.

    The market for non-DRM AAA-titles is definitely there. But it's not with EA or Activision or Ubisoft.

    I'm rooting for Paradox at the moment.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

  20. #40
    Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by winterwolves View Post
    Guys, in 5 years max offline games on PC probably won't exist anymore. Blame pirates for what is happening and not the companies that aren't "greedy" but need to pay the bills.
    Of course it's all the evil pirates fault, not the ever declining quality of video games & draconic DRM's. People who wouldn't buy that game will pirate it anyway. By adding this DRM they will just discourage people who were going to actually buy from purchasing their product.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •