Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    I had a passing interest in this game, based on Blizzard's track record and the hype. I no longer have even a passing interest in the game, sadly. I really did think Blizzard was the bee's knees.
    I didn't have the violent reaction to this news that many did, but nonetheless I find that I've lost all desire to play this game. Maybe I'd already lost it and this news just brought it to my attention. Oh well.
    Last edited by Rii; 01-08-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Rii, don't insult people. That's one of the few rules here, please stuck to it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post
    How can people solely blame pirates for DRM when clearly it affects paying customers more?

In fact your example implies that apart from two single player games, pirates can play EVERY OTHER single player game.

So who's the DRM for?

Sure, MMOs tend to be a different beast, and DRM circumvention in this case usually involves either stealing someone's account or setting up private servers.
    And if you can be one of the two games pirates can't play, then maybe you'll be one of the two games they ever buy? I don't like it, but I think by leveraging their MMO work Blizzard could well create a DRM that is uncrackable. UBI DRM just kept one file that had to be there for the game on the server, so the cracks just installed that file or something like that after the pirates intercepted it. But if you can store enough server-side, that isn't feasible.

If the DRM is cracked on day one (or even day ten) I'll happily eat my words and admit I was wrong, and join you in saying Blizzard should absolutely add an offline mode now the game has been cracked. And if you've read much of what I've said on this topic before you know I'm vociferously against UbiDRM and even Steam's DRM and on-install DRMs. Few moan about them as much as me. But that stems from the fact that they don't work. If someone can come up with a DRM that actually stops piracy (and if anyone can, Blizzard can) then I'll have to rethink.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    If the DRM is cracked on day one (or even day ten) I'll happily eat my words and admit I was wrong, and join you in saying Blizzard should absolutely add an offline mode now the game has been cracked.
    So what you're saying is our hope of salvation rests on the shoulders of hackers?

Hackers, unite! For the good of PC gaming!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    You guys want to know what the best part is? If you pirate the game, you'll probably be able to install mods!

Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    Rii, don't insult people. That's one of the few rules here, please stuck to it.
    Yes; sorry.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's like me scrawling a woman's face on a napkin and saying I've pirated the Mona Lisa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Screenshots plx
    Note that while the foreground element is startlingly accurate, all the background elements of the original image are missing. This is what is feels like to play WoW on an emulated server. It looks genuine at first glance, but closer inspection demonstrates the flaws.

IMG_0011.jpg

Activated Node
    Is it just me, or does she have a beard?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Leach View Post
    Is it just me, or does she have a beard?
    On emulated WoW servers ALL CHARACTERS HAVE BEARDS.

Also the shadows aren't very good. And in the game.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Not quite true. I can think of one. Little game Blizzard made before Diablo 3. What was it called again? World of... something or other.
    Um, it's cracked. If you can set up a pirated server for a game, there's nothing stopping you running said server on your own PC and connecting the client to it without ever needing to go online in the first place. Of course, it being an MMO I can't think of any reason why you'd actually want to play it in single player.

Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    Um, it's cracked. If you can set up a pirated server for a game, there's nothing stopping you running said server on your own PC and connecting the client to it without ever needing to go online in the first place. Of course, it being an MMO I can't think of any reason why you'd actually want to play it in single player.
    Fewer ninjas.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Fewer ninjas.
    Inverse ninja law states you would want to face MORE ninjas.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Inverse ninja law states you would want to face MORE ninjas.
    Inverse ninja law has a divide by zero error: If there are, in fact, no ninjas, you should already be dead.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Note that while the foreground element is startlingly accurate, all the background elements of the original image are missing. This is what is feels like to play WoW on an emulated server. It looks genuine at first glance, but closer inspection demonstrates the flaws.

IMG_0011.jpg
    You're very talented.

IMG_0011.jpg
    It seems you have used a faulty crack/emulation, so I took liberty to fix it and as an added bonus, installed some mods to make it more fancy. Why? Because I can, that's why.

MonaLisaTheEnhancedEdition.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
    In so quickly starting a flame war, I can accurately describe R-F as a massive faggot.
    If you're attempting to distinguish yourself language like that isn't helping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    If you're attempting to distinguish yourself language like that isn't helping.
    He does not look like a large bundle of sticks, at any rate.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    As stated elsewhere, none of these restrictions actually represent a practical problem for me.

1) I'd most likely always play it co-op, so I'd have to be online anyway.

2) I've never modded a Diablo game, aside from resolution corrections for widescreen.

3) I'll only be playing co-op with friends on private servers, so it's no concern of mine the kind of train wreck the online community at large will become as a result of cash transactions.

However, despite all of that, I find I can't in good conscience buy the game anyway. The level of contempt Blizzard is showing for its playerbase and the unpleasantness of the precedent it is setting are reason enough, I think. Financial success for games with these sorts of restrictions will only cause them to proliferate to games where they would be a problem for me, so enlightened self-interest dictates not buying this one.
    Last edited by vinraith; 01-08-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    However, despite all of that, I find I can't in good conscience buy the game anyway. The level of contempt Blizzard is showing for its playerbase and the unpleasantness of the precedent it sends are reason enough, I think.
    Thank you. For a moment I thought you were going with the "not my problem" path, which would be uncharacteristically unprincipled of you.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Thank you. For a moment I thought you were going with the "not my problem" path, which would be uncharacteristically unprincipled of you.
    Gotcha. :) It wouldn't be merely unprincipled, but profoundly shortsighted, and while I may sometimes be the former I try my damnedest not to be the latter. As I edited up there, letting this kind of thing go will eventually turn it into my problem.