Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar

DCS: A-10 Warthog

This is currently on sale on Steam and D2D for 20 (not sure how long for), but how accomodating is it for new players? I've seen how realistic it can be potentially, but does it have plenty of assist options and the like? I have a half-decent joystick but no fancy flight sim setup, and the most complex sims I've played up to now are probably IL-2 and Arma 2.

The Wild Bunch Clan! Steam: TWB*BlueJohn add me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    That's the video I've seen, but sims usually have some kind of assistance for people who aren't trained pilots. Just wondering if I'd have to study to play it or if I could at least manage to learn as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    how accomodating is it for new players?
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...-a-10c-warhog/

Network Hub
    I think you'll find that, to the outsider it looks pretty hardcore. And, it is and it isn't.

You have to remember it simulates an A10C and all its systems, which are actually not that hard to learn. The actual systems are designed to be relatively easy to use.

It depends what you put into it, if you're willing to learn then you'll find it rewarding. Simply the start up procedure is cool in itself. If you nerd quota is quite high then you'll love it, but if you have no patience you'll hate it. The ingame tutorials are quite good too.

The ED forums are full of help, loads of guides (user made and official) and the sim is constantly patched and updated. To get the best out of it you'll need a HOTAS (Hands on Throttle and Stick) such as an X52 but it can be done with a regular stick. A HOTAS will help by binding all the commonly used functions and commands to the buttons.

I'm learning new stuff in this sim all the time. It's amazing.

I agree with Rossi.

The game definitely benefits from TrackIR, I can't imagine playing without it really, but I know a lot of people manage ok. If one has a HOTAS and TrackIR, there are no excuses not to get this at that price, fantastic value.

Hugely rewarding if you have the patience for it, and the training missions are really well set up to learn the basics of weapon delivery, etc. As I've said before, in my opinion this is the greatest combat flight sim ever made.

Network Hub
    I don't have Track IR and get along fine with the POV hat. But I will be buying Track IR soon.

The most time consuming aspects are getting the controls to your liking and just generally learning what the Hog can do. I don't know everything so I ask people who are flying with me (MP is ace) or on the ED forums. You WILL get an a good answer and the community seems full of genuinely nice people. With the multiplayer though, most servers are passworded for obvious reasons. Who wants to spend 10 minutes starting your plane only to be teamkilled? That said, there are some open servers and teamkilling is generally rare.

If you get the game, feel free to contact me and I'll take you through some of the basics. It might be worth looking on eBay for an old X45 or X52 as well.

TimA... do you fly online at all?

Network Hub
    The plane is complex and the simulators makes no compromises. But there is a tutorial system which is fairly usefull even if it dosent cover everything in the game.

Plus it helps that the A-10 is a very sedate aircraft, it flys slow and has good control and most of the time you shoot at stuff that cant shoot back. The X52 is the joystick i use, im pretty darn happy with my setup and i dont have track IR

For those who have this game and are concidering to buying TrackIR hardware: try FaceTrackNoIR or FreeTrack. FaceTrackNoIR needs only a webcam (it determines where your eyes and mouth are to see where you're looking at). FreeTrack uses markers on a cap (markers can be LEDs or IR LEDs for optimal performance). FaceTrackNoIR doesn't work with moden CPUs though, for some reason. Both FaceTrackNoIR and FreeTrack support a version of the TrackIR protocol, so it might work for you! :)

Note: I haven't tried either method with this game, so I wouldn't know if it works. The FaceTrackNoIR website reports that two people have gotten that method to work with this game. I have tried FaceTrackNoIR, and it works pretty well if you can get it working nicely with your webcam. Sometimes it might stop tracking your face for a few seconds, but I guess that might just be worth the 100+ dollars that an official TrackIR setup will cost you. :P

Definitely worth trying, the ability to look around the cockpit with your head in 6DOF really does change everything. It's probably the most important factor in immersion, for me. It's just incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    TimA... do you fly online at all?
    As much as I like the idea of organised co-op missions, I've never flown online. I probably blame lack of free time, so it's hard to commit to anything, and I'm not fond of just joining random servers. Very open to suggestions, though :)

Network Hub
    Well im trying to put together a casual but fun squadron over at a community im a member of. Teamgamers UK 1st Virtual Fighter Wing. It would all be in the name of fun as I know many squadrons are pretty anal about their 'procedures' etc. I've already bullied a few of my online mates into purchasing the game so if you're up for a flight, send over some contact details. Our site is www.teamgamers.co.uk . Everyone is free to join in.

Network Hub
    Some screens from last nights flight....

Taken from some multiplayer flights :)

6 by Ross A J Miller, on Flickr

8 by Ross A J Miller, on Flickr

7 by Ross A J Miller, on Flickr

5 by Ross A J Miller, on Flickr

Network Hub

9 by Ross A J Miller, on Flickr

3 by Ross A J Miller, on Flickr

2 by Ross A J Miller, on Flickr

4 by Ross A J Miller, on Flickr

Network Hub
    oh man air refueling :p

not an easy task :p

Network Hub
    Nope. The max I could get was about 10 seconds of contact. Just takes practice. A lot of practice.

Heh, I still can't do it. The thought of trying to do it multiplayer gives me fear.

Nice screenshots!

I'm off work on holiday for a little bit now, if I get some free time I may PM you to try out some MP. Those screenshots instantly made me want to fly again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I've been meaning to get this one but it's still a bit too expensive for me. Love these kinds of games when I have the time to sit down and learn them properly, just wish I had the desk space for a HOTAS setup that didn't involve throwing the KB+M out of reach. Also, I'd echo what people say about TrackIR; it's absolutely fantastic. Certainly makes some things a hell of a lot easier in flight combat sims!

I was very close to picking this up.

But then I remembered that I got Black Shark over a year ago and haven't even installed it yet.