Network Hub

DVD drive really slow

I just got a new pc and the only thing that seems wrong is the dvd drive. I've been trying to put my simpsons boxsets on my pc, but its taking about 25-35mins a disc! If I use my old pc and Samsung SH-S222A it does it in about 8 mins! :(

New PC Specs
    Coolermaster GX 750W PSU
    Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz
    Sapphire HD 5670 512MB
    Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive x2
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW
    MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
    Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz

Any ideas what's up with it? Can't use old drive in new pc as it's ide :(

Was it particularly slow with installing Windows? And I assume you're using the same program and settings to rip it? The only thing I can think of is that for some odd reason it is using PIO rather than DMA. To check this go into device manager, ATA controllers, choose whichever channel the DVD drive is connected to, right click to properties and then look under advanced settings. It should be some form of DMA (you have the same mobo as me and it is Ultra DMA 5 on mine). If it is PIO just uninstall that controller and reboot. Windows should reinstall it properly.

Network Hub
    The only thing I have under ATA Controllers is the Intel 6 Series chipset family 2 port and a 4 port controller, also 2x primary IDE Channels and 2x Secondary channels. One of the primary IDE is set to PIO mode (device 0) and device 1 is set to Ultra DMA 5. I'll try changing it, see if it helps

Network Hub
    I changed it but it still set at same setting after reboot, so guessing that device 0 aint the dvd drive. Would having it plugged into the SATAIII port, make it act abit wonky? :-/

I'm on WinXP by the way

I meant to look at the channels. Sorry I should have been clearer about that. Does it report a device type? And is there a tick box for enable DMA or some such? Is that what you tried? Windows has a habit of witching to PIO mode when read errors stack up so it may be that. It may be the DVDs are scratched, the drive is duff, or if you have an OC it may be a bit over the top.

Assuming you only have the HDD and the DVD drive I would guess it is the thing plugged as device 0 is the DVD drive. If nothing was plugged in it wouldn't report a IO type at all. Have you tried switching the sata port it is plugged into to rule out that?

And there shouldn't be any compatibility issues with types of SATA I'd have thought.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've had issues similar to this before, from not having the right SATA controller drivers installed, so make sure you've got them all sorted.