Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Destructoid article on DirectX and Steam.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    When it is not Microsoft's fault?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    Why is Jim Sterling still allowed to call himself a reviewer?

Obscure Node
    I know, right? I'm so tired of that guy. Perfect example of a pretty limited amount of celebrity going completely to someone's head.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Why is Jim Sterling still allowed to call himself a reviewer?
    Articles not by Jim, but yeah he's the armond White of Games Journalism.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Articles not by Jim, but yeah he's the armond White of Games Journalism.
    That's pretty unfair on Armond White. Armond White is contrary to make a point. Jim Sterling just trolls.

"5/10 on this AAA game for nonsensical reasons."
    "What is this shit, Jim? I'd understand 6 or 7 out of 10, but 5, really?"
    "DON'T QUESTION ME I INVENTED OUR RATING SYSTEM!!!!!"

Despite the fact he's the only one on the site who uses it like that, whereas most are happy to go with the usual 6/7 to mediocre games and 5 for pretty bad ones.

Despite the fact he's the only one on the site who uses it like that, whereas most are happy to go with the usual 6/7 to mediocre games and 5 for pretty bad ones.
    Honest question: Why are you defending the four point scale?

Seriously. If it's mediocre (and a lot of AAA titles are mediocre), it gets a 5. Hell, don't make the games industry have worse grade inflation than public schools.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Honest question: Why are you defending the four point scale?

Seriously. If it's mediocre (and a lot of AAA titles are mediocre), it gets a 5. Hell, don't make the games industry have worse grade inflation than public schools.
    I'm not. It just irritates me that he's not doing it to make a point, but instead doing it for siteclicks and the enjoyment of trolling.

That's pretty unfair on Armond White. Armond White is contrary to make a point. Jim Sterling just trolls.

"5/10 on this AAA game for nonsensical reasons."
    "What is this shit, Jim? I'd understand 6 or 7 out of 10, but 5, really?"
    "DON'T QUESTION ME I INVENTED OUR RATING SYSTEM!!!!!"

Though you have to admit that those rating systems dont make sense.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Banned
    Yeah I thought his Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days was the best. I mean sure it's no Mona Lisa but it was a perfectly serviceable game 5-6/10 with an effective gritty aesthetic to it (I'm hoping Hitman Absolution takes some cues from it), yet Jim awards it 1/10 for no good reason beyond wanting to impress his fans ('tell it like it is Jim!!!') and ride on the coat tails of Gerstmanngate, way after Jeff Gerstmann had long put that behind him. Pathetic really. As regards later answers a 1/10 is a score a truly broken game deserves and K&L2 wasn't broken. Still given his ever expanding BMI I doubt Jim will be around to trouble us for long, the rate he's going.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 03-08-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Douchey devil's advocate: shouldn't a game halfway between awful & classic get a 5? Not to open a can on worms.

Fun fact: iPhone autocorrect doesn't like "douchey"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Does Ebert get accused of trolling when he gives a film one star?

It is interesting actually, in that it is possible for a game to be 'broken' in the way a film really can't be. I mean technically it can, all the shots could be out of focus or all the scenes too dark to see what's going on, but it's basically accepted that this just doesn't happen. And if it does nowhere will screen it and nowhere will review it. It's an irrelevancy.

I think that is part of the cause of the upswing in games scores over the past 20 years or so. Really low scores (less than 40%) were reserved for games that were objectively broken. The scale of subjectivity only really started around 5/10. Even if I really hated a game, if it functioned, it was worth a 5 at least.

What was the last commercial, broken game you heard about? (and let's leave off the WoW /DNF/UbiDRM jokes for now). It just doesn't happen anymore. On console it'd never pass the QA process the platform owners run. It maybe happens in PC indie stuff but I can't think of any examples.

The medium is growing up and we need to get past the point where 1/10 is reserved for games that crash after the intro movie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I think that is part of the cause of the upswing in games scores over the past 20 years or so. Really low scores (less than 40%) were reserved for games that were objectively broken. The scale of subjectivity only really started around 5/10. Even if I really hated a game, if it functioned, it was worth a 5 at least.
    I don't think everyone worked like that, though, so it's hard to compare like to like. PC Gamer gave Boiling Point 21/100 because it was massively broken, while PC Format gave it 81/100 because what lay beyond the bugs was an ambitious and well-designed game. I own the game, and honestly I think both scores are justified, albeit from different perspectives. Averaging the two scores out to get 51 isn't really representative of the kind of game Boiling Point is. (It's not "works, but is crap" like you suggest a 5 out of 10 should be; it's "great, but doesn't work".)

I think it's important to rate Boiling Point highly even if it doesn't technically work, because it included some great ideas that should have been carried forward into other games (and in fact were). But that's not necessarily an accurate reflection of whether it's worth the money you would spend on it.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

I disliked his 6/10 review of The Witcher 2 as much as the next PC gamer, but his recent videos on the escapist have made me like him.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...w/jimquisition

I recommend "Linearity vs Replayability" or "Metacritic Isn't the Problem". Funnily enough, in the last one he makes the point some of you are discussing of in the thread. If you watch "Fight in the Name of Childishness", you can sort of understand why he is so loud and even annoying, too... And there goes another thread thrown off topic to argue about Jim Sterling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's almost as if a game can't be summed up with a percentage score isn't it?

Not that the current conversation doesn't have merit, but did anybody else notice that the original topic lasted for all of two posts?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Not that the current conversation doesn't have merit, but did anybody else notice that the original topic lasted for all of two posts?
    That's what's great here, actually. A semi-boring (sorry) topic gets turned into an actual interesting conversation. :{D

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think we need more trolls like Sterling, if you guys are right about that, to get people to put so much value to review scores. Try mainstream gaming sites like IGN, Gamespot, even Gameinformer, the resident fanboys go apeshit if their favorite video game doesn't get the score they want it to. I still remember that IGN put out an article to explain as to why they had scored ME2 to better than Uncharted. Ridiculous.

I kinda agree with R-F though, what Sterling does doesn't put games journalism as a whole in positive light but maybe it's for the good, that perhaps people will begin to see the bullshit that are game scores and gravitate towards more subjective ones.

Also, I'd like to know what RPS' editors' opinion on this topic.

(Jim Stirling, while often a egomaniacal dick, does quite often raise good points. I'm not entirely sure what to make of him.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekiel2517
    I disliked his 6/10 review of The Witcher 2 as much as the next PC gamer
    At the end of the day, the man's providing his opinion on a game. That's it. Reviewers aren't sitting up on a mountain saying "No sir I don't like it, therefore none of you can play it or have any opinion that differs from mine." Personally I don't like either of The Witcher games, I find the storyline fairly bland and uninteresting, and most of the gameplay was a chore for me. My personal view would be to give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. But so what? Who cares? If you love it, that's cool.

It's just an opinion piece, and the Internet is packed with them. If you don't agree with it, then just don't agree with it.