Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DC Universe Online: Rock Paper Superpowers

So I know a few of us are subscribers and SOE's all access plan is now out. Anyone fancy giving this a whirl sometime? Of course non subscribers can play too, it is F2P after all. Let me know!
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I've tried it twice, bounced off of it really fast both times. Played a few hours of EQ2 the other night and got along with it, so might be up for that. But hotkey rotation MMOs really aren't my thing in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I might be persuaded, sure. EQ2 too, I guess. Just need to clear some space on my disks... :)
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Comic book super heroes are not my thing, but I could try playing some EQ2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    He is a handsome man/frogfaceddude! What ever happened to this feature?
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    "Hello my name is David Georgeson"

Oh fuck off with a name like that. Everything about him appeals to my grumpy side and makes my blood... He's just one of those people that you listen to for a bit and then irrationally put them under the category "I fucking hate you".
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Definitely thought that was a woman until I put the sound on.

Me and my girlfriend have tried playing EQ2, but dear god is it grindy. Going from zone back to where you came from all of the time, auto attackls of about 10 second cooldown then abilities with 1 minute cooldowns means it takes an age to kill a mob, or you kill it fast and twiddle your thumbs before you dare pull the next mob.

I guess it's because it's kind of a throwback to "old skool" MMO's where longevity in gameplay was created by grinding and travelling as opposed to more content for technical limitations. The game is 10 years old and looks and feels that way. It was released just before WoW (like 3 weeks or so), but WoW changed the genre up somewhat, made things more fast paced, then went back just a few years ago and changed it up again.

I'm sure it's a great game, but it's far too slow paced for me. DCU however has been more fun than I though it would be. Action oriented, voice actors from childhood cartoons, good character creation options (at least if you subscribe as part of all access, it's a little restricting without). I haven't encountered crafting yet, so can't comment on that.

Superhero-camp story and character visuals aside, it's quite a pleasing little adventure so far. The powers you get (played the "power ring" and "ice" powers to about level 10 so far) are pretty interesting and perhaps a little silly, comic book style, yet there is something oddly satisfying about constructing a hard-light runaway locomotive and hurling at a group of villains, or smacking them about with hard-light boxing gloves.

You also choose your "movement" super power based around flight, superspeed, or acrobatics. Everyone flys (including my power ring hero, but it kind of fits the archetype) and get a special talent tree where you can spec various abilities surrounding that power. You also choose a weap[on top, be it fists, pistols, swords or shields etc each with their own pros and cons. The weapons can also be specced it into later in the game, so you can have different weapons for different situations.

All in all it means you can create a unique hero (or villain) and build it around your own preferred play style. The quests so far have been mostly, "batter that crap outta these kind of mobs" or "interact with this NPC, then batter the mobs that come" but the anticipation of levelling to get an interesting new ability has kept me interested so far.

I definitely recommend giving a try at least (even if you only wear your underpants on the inside of your trousers LaKroy, it is an option). i've rolled Hero on the EU PvP server. There is a moderate amount of ganking as can be expected, but they don't usually hang about.

Join RPS in Wildstar!

Obscure Node
    TL;DR:

I played EQ2 for about 2 hours in total, and it felt like it dragged. Played DC Universe for 5 hours without noticing and still not bored yet.

I'm supposed to be a hero, but I've been laughing rather maniacally while running along a wall, throwing a fireball at a mob, and then leaping off to knee it in the face.

She does that in game too

Join RPS in Wildstar!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Well, still not sold on the concept of DCU, but the way you describe EQ2 makes it sound horrible and not enjoyable. I'm not against trying new things, so if there is a session of DCU coming, I will download and join you. :)

I wouldn't say it is horrible, it may be something you enjoy as you have a lot more patience than I do. I simply did not enjoy it. You should still give it a go and the like. Also DCU can be a pain to group up for the first 10 levels, unless you all select the same mentor (Batman, Superman or Wonderwoman; defines your starting area, possibly more), may be worth levelling up to that. Of course I'm happy to roll a new charcter anytime (I'm a huge altaholic and theres plenty of alts top be made here.

Join RPS in Wildstar!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Dewi, you still enjoying final fantasy? I have a friend who's pestering me to get it, he's notorious for going mental for the newest MMO's so want to ask someone who's actually played it for more than five minutes before I commit to anything.
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Yeah it was good. I stopped playing because of Planetside really, no other reason. Gameplay is fluid, story is typically final fantasy so if you enjoy the single player games you'll enjoy this. I would be playing this instead of DCU, but I can't afford the sub at the minute, but still have a couple of months on my SOE sub.

Join RPS in Wildstar!

Dewi did you ever play cities of heroes? That was my first mmorpg.. Wondered how it compares

I didnt, that was before I got into online gaming. So can't comment on it, sorry. I imagine DCUO being newer, it might feel a bit more polished, but then I could be wrong

Join RPS in Wildstar!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    I didnt, that was before I got into online gaming. So can't comment on it, sorry. I imagine DCUO being newer, it might feel a bit more polished, but then I could be wrong
    City Of Heroes is a benchmark no game will ever reach as an MMO. Except the free style ones, of course. But if you guys are really looking for an MMO, consider Perpetuum Online.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Really short notice but I plan on playing some DCUO tonight, let me know if you wanna join. making a temp channel in mumble

Join RPS in Wildstar!

Activated Node
    I've bounced of DCUO before, but I think I'm going to give it another try.

Compared to City of Heroes the power/costume selection is woeful, but the gameplay is more action oriented, so it could have potential.