Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I agree but I never really go back and play old games I guess I can be a bit of a graphics whore. I like to see my new rig work. That said I did by worms again recently.

The only AAA PC only titles I see on the distant horizon are Diablo 3 and Stalker 2. Although I fear (perhaps unreasonably) that the later will have a control scheme and combat mechanics to suit a console audience, just like Witcher 2. I just don't feel its a good time to be a PC gamer at all. As much as I'm looking forward to Skyrim and Deus Ex 3, these games are going to be designed with UI's built for consoles (although I hope DE3 will deliver on its promise of a proper PC interface) - I'm fed up of playing games that feel 'strange' cos they were designed for a gamepad.

I've tried Magicka, couldn't get the demo to work. Minecraft doesn't do anything for me. I keep on hearing about this golden age of Indie PC games, but I don't get it - someone please educate me.

Network Hub
    IMO PC gaming has been pretty consistently awesome since I started in the early nineties, with a bit of a crap stage in the mid 00s when there were few games that weren't corridor shooters or derivative RTSs.

But such a thing is always going to be subjective, because it depends primarily on what types of games you like. I tend to like a large variety, but having been a PC gamer for so long I need a game to offer me something new and interesting to grab me. Being the flashiest shooter or the best Dune-alike ever is rarely enough, and hence I find myself dis-interested in many AAA releases.

Fortunately the last few years have seen the rise of the Eastern European, indie and smaller studios who easily fill the void left by the AAA studios lack of interest in anything but man-shooters. I'm still waiting for someone to make an awesome squad-based TBS game in the Jagged Alliance / Silent Storm mold and a remake of Tie-Fighter but otherwise everything is pretty damn golden right now. Certainly by volume there are more great games I want to play now than there ever were in the late 90s, and most of them far surpass the quality of games from that era.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    I can legally download, access, and play nearly any game I would care to within just minutes. The time is now, and it's only going to get better (so long as PC users don't all get bludgeoned to death by the forces of the touch-based tablet).

Today videogames (not only PC ones) are an actual industry, unlike 15-20 years ago. Back then, even AAA games weren't played by as much people as they are today. Now, every bastard who called us nerds for playing our computer entertainment software in 1997 is getting what he deserves by paying vast amounts of money to play CoD or even WoW. Therefore, much more people is devoting their careers to videogames and we've got lots of games to judge. While the innovation that there was 15 years ago existed due to the market not being fully developed and we can think that nowadays developers aren't pushing too hard, I think that we're currently living the golden age of distribution, and this will lead to indie (usually more imaginative) developers making more and better games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Personally, I think we lack the necessary distance and perspective to be able to say. The industry hasn't existed long enough to start declaring golden ages, ask me again in 20 years and I'll let you know. For what it's worth, the early days were great, the 2000's were pretty good too, and while it's undeniable that the volume of AAA games coming out that I find interesting has dropped off sharply of late, I'm virtually drowning in interesting indie fare, so I can't exactly complain about the present either. I don't know where all this is going, it's entirely possible the best is ahead of us, it's entirely possible that the best has already been, we won't know til we get further down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Personally, I think we lack the necessary distance and perspective to be able to say. The industry hasn't existed long enough to start declaring golden ages, ask me again in 20 years and I'll let you know. For what it's worth, the early days were great, the 2000's were pretty good too, and while it's undeniable that the volume of AAA games coming out that I find interesting has dropped off sharply of late, I'm virtually drowning in interesting indie fare, so I can't exactly complain about the present either. I don't know where all this is going, it's entirely possible the best is ahead of us, it's entirely possible that the best has already been, we won't know til we get further down the road.
    Oh come off it. We can't do everything in hindsight. What's the point of having a golden age if it's already over?

Declare the golden age. Live it and love it now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    I can legally download, access, and play nearly any game I would care to within just minutes. The time is now, and it's only going to get better (so long as PC users don't all get bludgeoned to death by the forces of the touch-based tablet).
    So you're classing abandonware as legal, right? Good on you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    So you're classing abandonware as legal, right? Good on you!
    he hasn't said without paying!

Obscure Node
    There appears to be two distinct views here

1. The Golden age was the turn of the millenium.
    2. The Golden age is now.

I agree with both views. The late 90's early 00's was a classic golden age when a whole bunch of really creative people were exploring the limits of new technology and making up the rules as they went along. Many of the great games of that period invented the conventions which games still follow today and then you had games that were so unique that no one would be allowed to make them today (Sacrifice comes to mind and possibly Homeworld).

Today we are blessed to live in another golden age. This time game playing technology is irrelevant and it is all about the distribution mechanism. Digital technology has mode it possible for anyone with a PC to experience an incredible amount of high quality gaming for peanuts. Perhaps even more importantly it has provided small independent developers a mechanism to distribute weird and wacky works of genius that could never find a place on the shelves of a high street game store.

Quote Originally Posted by mbp View Post
    Today we are blessed to live in another golden age. This time game playing technology is irrelevant and it is all about the distribution mechanism. Digital technology has mode it possible for anyone with a PC to experience an incredible amount of high quality gaming for peanuts. Perhaps even more importantly it has provided small independent developers a mechanism to distribute weird and wacky works of genius that could never find a place on the shelves of a high street game store.
    Dare I say... the Silver Age?

Quote Originally Posted by ̣scar. View Post
    he hasn't said without paying!
    Good lookin' out, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    Dare I say... the Silver Age?
    Silver implies less value than gold.

Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Silver implies less value than gold.
    I was going for more AAA/Big name studio vs Indie. Not necessarily value.

There appears to be two distinct views here

1. The Golden age was the turn of the millenium.
    2. The Golden age is now.

I agree with both views, words.
    Exactly what I meant: 2 golden ages with 2 totally different starting points: the first one being that the videogame industry wasn't explored at all and that left place to develop excellent games that were milestones on their day, and the second and current one being that nowadays everyone can make and sell their own dream game, and succeed if they make it properly.

15 years ago there were a bunch of developers with a world to explore and genres to define: barely nothing had been created.

nowaways there are thousands of developers and "almost everything has already been created", but that leaves devs zillions of games to inspire them to create perfect gaming experiences, which they can sell directly to us without having to be a huge company.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Why miss out the late 80s and early 90s? That was by far the most innovative period.

Obscure Node
    I do think that we're in a constant Golden Age. I've got Jagged Alliance 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Half-Life 2, Bad Company 2, The Witcher 2 and Shogun 2 installed on my computer now and I love them all, despite the various time periods they're from.

... Now that's a lot of 2s... :))

Why miss out the late 80s and early 90s? That was by far the most innovative period.
    1. Because many of the posters on RPS are young enough that they don't recall that era of gaming with the clarity and nostalgia they assign to the mid-90's to early 2000's period.

2. Because the graphical limitations of the era (which are part of what made it so innovative, actually, as those kinds of limitations mean the gameplay has to be that much more engrossing) make those games harder to go back and experience than the games of the "golden age" period many people are describing here.

Let's face it, this is mostly a thread about nostalgia, not objective evaluation of the quality of a given era of gaming. :)

Obscure Node
    I am sadly old enough to remember the 1980's well and I have to agree with Vinraith on this one. The technology was just too crude back then. Even mid 90's classics like DOOM are virtually unplayable by today's standards. However at the end of the 90's PC gaming hardware made a massive leap forward with the advent of gpus, 32 bit operating systems (meaning lots of memory) and big hard disks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sorry, I don't buy it. Only graphics sucked back then. There were some highly innovative games back then for systems like the Amiga.

I have to agree with Vinraith on this one. The technology was just too crude back then.
    That's not really what I said. Graphical tech, perhaps, but my main point was that objective innovation, and objective game quality in general (if there even is such a thing) has no bearing on the popularity of an era in what is really an "I fondly remember the games I played in my youth" thread.