Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Pirates of the Black Cove

Is summer, and I have two weeks free. And I am somewhat bored. And this game pop out in Steam. Is it good or bad? I tried googling for reviews and nothing.

I have buy it, and play 2 hours of the game.

My impression is ....I don't know if the game is good. I have played games with better simulation of a pirate boat. More sim like, and more arcade like. This one is imprecise, with your canon balls flyiing everywhere... the starting ship is slow.
    And this is a RPG, and thats probably the problem, like in any RPG, you start with a piss poor character that can't do anything right. The game feels like will feel better and more better (maybe awesome) as you get more power, but the interface will still prove to get in the way. There are not settings for the keys, so if you misclik on one of the tutorials what key do what, you will never know. You can't also rebind keys (no interface).

Theres this sea exploring, and this fighting in ports with a rts-y interface.

The game wants you to grind money, even before the tutorial ends, but don't make this apparent. You have to figure out wen you want to buy something the tutorial tells you, but you don't have enough money.

In some ways is a weird game.

I CTD two times before finishing the tutorial, but after that the game has downloaded a patch, and don't seems to be as crash happy.

I feel I am going to continue playing, but I wonder how much more grind will be needed until my character and boat stop feeling puny and lame.

I am probably spoiled by games (like the MMO Pirates of the Burning Sea) that have more precise controls and more options (!?) for what ship you use.

Still... this feel like a poor starting for a RPG game. It seems that I will be able to build houses in ports, collect enemy boats, have 3 or 4 powers (but I have no idea how the interface for using differents powers will be, the game don't seems to ahve a interface for that!).. and that point, it will probably feel like a good game.

Anyone else is playing this?

I was thinking of asking you about this game. You've made it sound a bit like Pirates!, except not as good

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It CTD on me again. Arrggh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    It CTD on me again. Arrggh.
    I would have made it walk the plank by now.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    I was thinking of asking you about this game. You've made it sound a bit like Pirates!, except not as good
    There is a demo available that you can try.

I remember being somewhat interested in this game for a while. Played the demo a couple of weeks back and... yea, it just comes across as being rather mediocre in everything it has tried to do. The ship controls and combat are poor as are the on foot sections.

Network Hub
    I personally found that performance was quite poor, and I'm not exactly on an awful PC. Even turning down ambient occlusion and shadows the game seemed to struggle along.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    What I thought was funny is how the RPS ad for it said "E for everyone" one day, and "T for teen" the next

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGinn View Post
    I am really wondering whether to play the game. But I probably will cause it seems like a ton of fun.
    Try the demo, then. With a demo you can test the waters (no pun intended).

I've seen trailers and it does look almost identical to Pirates! I highly doubt it's as good though, Pirates! was bloody awesome. The only Sid Meier's game I've truly enjoyed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Another 2 or 3 crashes. Humm.. maybe the game don't like my comp.