Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Whatever happend to FMV adventure games?

Honestly how many people whored themselves out to afford a cdrom drive to play the 7th guest? It was amazing.

tex murphey
    11th hour
    johnny mnemonic
    phantasmagoria 1+2
    gabriel knight 2
    ripper
    black dahlia
    xfiles
    Myst and zork... sort of.

I honestly miss them, Sure they were cheesy but christ they were good fun.

So what was everyone favourite?

For me it was Phantasmagoria. Sooooo much fun. I bought it on gog and played it for the first time in like 15 years. held up well.

Haha yes Phantasmagoria!!!!!! I remember playing it when was much younger, one of the first CD-Rom games I bought... and was literally scared (I had nightmare after those gorey scenes...!). Still beside all the gore it was really well done, interesting story, interesting... main character and overall a cool game.
    if you like manga, RPG and dating sims, check my indie computer games

Check out Conspiracies 2. It was made by a small Greek company. Here is a review and here is the game's site.

I don't play adventure games so i can comment on the game's quality as an adventure game (although i've heard only positive comments on the story and mixed comments on the puzzles). The game was made in a low budget and the FMV videos show that. The game was in development hell for years with most of the content being done before even the engine was written so the assets are also very low-res. The engine, on the other hand, is very modern but the rest of the game doesn't seem to take advantage of it.

Still, this is one of the few FMV games available today so if you really like those games and can look past the acting and low-res assets, you might like it.
    ~bs~

Activated Node
    Anyone play the adventure game 'The Dame Was Loaded' by Beam software? It was a point and click adventure but with FMV characters and digitized locations. It had some stunning video playback for the time, and was a great adventure, but seems to have been largely forgotten. Would be great to get it on GOG.

There's a walkthrough on YouTube if you want to see what it was like:

Last edited by Ravenger; 04-06-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There's an FMV game called Darkstar that launched a few months back too. Set on a spaceship, bit odd, as it's meant to be a serious game, but they cast almost the entire cast of MST3K...

Obscure Node
    I loved Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon. Must have played it a million times. I remember playing Phantasmagoria too - boobies.

Obscure Node
    Anyone else remember Spycraft?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB4wkExgxd4

Obscure Node
    Anyone interested in more or less recent FMV adventures should also check the Casebook games and Yoomurjak's Ring. There is sadly not too much info on the game's official website, but a demo exists, and it is available for purchase (as far as I know, exclusively) as a digital download from the Adventure Shop.

And don't forget the freeware FMV adventure Fate by Numbers.
    Last edited by Lulz3r; 05-06-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Obscure Node
    Tex Murphy was and still is a blast! I also enjoyed ripper and black dahlia although some of the puzzles in dahlia was mind numbingly hard.

Wouldn't Kieron's The Curfew count?

Obscure Node
    One issue was that they all felt old even when they were new.

Banned
    The Last Express was rotoscoped, wasn't it, and I thought that ended up looking very stylish. That looks a whole lot better than any true FMV game. It's aged a lot less.

The Return to Zork boasted a cast of Hollywood actors, shit ones. I read through the little booklet that came with the game and I hadn't heard of any of these guys. Oh, there was the guy from Flash Gordon. I think he was so terrible as Flash Gordon that he had to be dubbed. Even Peter Duncan gave a better performance in that movie.

If you look at the money that's thrown at computer games these days, I'm sure someone could put together a halfway decent FMV game. But probably standard rendered computer graphics would look a lot clearer and more realistic, except for actual faces and boobies and stuff. So, yeah, it's a choice between uncanny valley and hammy valley.

TROMA had some sort of toxic avenger game. That would have rocked as an FMV game. Go on, Lloyd, make us an FMV game. We expect it to be shit, anyway, so there's no pressure. In fact, don't bother.
    Last edited by amandachen; 06-06-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    LA Noire isn't a million miles away to be honest. It's not quite photo-realistic in terms of characters but they're at least on the other side of the uncanny valley.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    Wouldn't Kieron's The Curfew count?
    Did the downloadable version of this ever come out? Or did they fix the web version? I seem to remember it was horribly broken (not obviously, but the 'best' ending was unattainable).

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Did the downloadable version of this ever come out? Or did they fix the web version? I seem to remember it was horribly broken (not obviously, but the 'best' ending was unattainable).
    I can't see a downloadable version there, unless I'm being a bit blind. I played it back when it was still horribly buggy (something messed up at the end, I can't remember what now) and I haven't had the heart to go back. I was enjoying it when it wasn't being broken though.

I think any game which was FMV should count, not just adventure games. We did, after all, have Emperor: Battle for Dune, and Wing Commander IV after all (the latter of which was the first proper CD-ROM game I had). After all.
    Last edited by lunarplasma; 06-06-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: After all

I remember this great FMV-adventure game called Area D (more commenly known as Danger Island).
    I loved playing it as a kid on my windows 98 and I still love playing it now :D
    Here is a little video with the intro clip to give you an idea ;-)
    It's impossible to find this game anywhere on the internet so if someone wants to enjoy one of the most awome FMV games ever I would be happy to make an image out of my copy and send it to you :-)
    If you are interested just add me on skype and ask me :D skypename -> juststijn
    Last edited by D Area; 16-06-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Putting video in it :-)

Obscure Node
    Personally and I know I am going to be in the minority here, but I loved EA's Majestic. It had plenty of FMV.

It was the only game I have ever played that really screwed with my real life and made me really think how to solve its puzzles. I can't tell you how long it took me to figure out how to access a persons voice mail because I couldn't find the phone icon in the game. The realization that I had to actually pick up a real phone and call the number blew me away.

I loved getting fax's and phone calls from the game in RL. It was just amazing...even if the game had very little content to hold you over day to day.

Network Hub
    Did anyone ever play Iron Helix? I have fond memories of it, although admittedly I was very young and easily impressed at the time.

If anyone is still intrested in Area D (Danger Island), I made a .RAR file with the contents of the cd :)
    You won't be able to play it on windows vista or 7 tough, but if you have a windows xp or like me an old windows 98, you should be able to play it by just clicking the .exe file ;)
    So if anyone wants me to upload it somewhere, just ask :) (And maybe suggest a good free file hosting site xD)