Thread: Osmos is HARD

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

Osmos is HARD

8 months hence, I loaded this up for the first time today, expecting a relaxing game. But once you get to some of the later levels, with opposing, hostile life forms, the game SERIOUSLY ratchets up its difficulty. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the last time I've been so stressed out by a game.

Same for me, despite the floaty ambient clothes that this comes dressed in, I thought the difficulty spike was quite the opposite of relaxing. I gave up on it shortly afterwards.

Yeah it's rock hard. For easier floating ambience try Eufloria.

*Nelson laugh*

But I do agree.

I still have it loaded up, I like to pretend that I will go back but I know I wont because of the difficulty, a case of the visuals not really matching up with the gameplay and being frustrating because of it. now if it had been all spikes, blood and toilet humour like meat boy nobody would complain.

its a bit like the undergarden, not that that game was hard in any way, but bits of puzzles and controls sometimes turned what is supposed to be a relaxing game into something more annoying than it should be.

There's one where you start in the middle of 4 larger orbs, unmoving, with 4 orbs that can be absorbed outside of them... But you can't get to the smaller orbs without getting assimilated by the 4 orbs blocking you in.

WHAT.

I hate Osmos >:(

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    There's one where you start in the middle of 4 larger orbs, unmoving, with 4 orbs that can be absorbed outside of them... But you can't get to the smaller orbs without getting assimilated by the 4 orbs blocking you in.

WHAT.
    Shoot your load into the bigger orbs, they will drift away, speed time up, they will drift quicker. Then it is simplicity itself to collect the smaller orbs, resulting in you bing big enough to collect the bigger orbs. The next level is much harder if I remember right, similar concept - shoot the bigger ones to collect the smaller ones to become big enough - but there are loads of biggers ones, and the chain of movement you set off results in somke of them becoming pretty big...

Don't give up :-)

Wow. I'm surpised so many people find Osmos difficult.

For those who are struggling, have you tried the 'ambient' levels? They're much more like puzzles and shouldn't be stressful in the slightest. The 'Force' and 'Sentient' branches require a bit more dexterity.

EDIT: At the risk of pointing out the obvious, it is possible to slow down time in the game by holding CTRL and moving the mousewheel. This is incredibly helpful throughout the game.
    Last edited by airtekh; 04-08-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    I was going to point out a) the slowdown mechanic, which is hella useful and b) the superb soundtrack. A was mentioned, so...man, awesome soundtrack, right?
    steam

I got a glimpse of the mastery possible in this game when, in one of the levels where the objective is to be the biggest mother, this task seemed properly impossible. Mostly huge red blobs, hardly anything smaller than the small me, and everything on the move. Because I didn't reseed the level I got to memorise parts of the clockwork, and I slowly figured out where to go after every pickup. Every particle shot had to be deliberate, time was mostly slowed to a minimum so as to gauge the points of intersection. I managed to steal away little blobs just as they were about to get sucked into a bigger one, sometimes taking it mid-suck.

I think I played this one until I was the only blob left, such was the joy when I finally managed to grow. Haven't played it since, but it made me see the bastard difficulty as a necessary counterpart to its control system.

Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    I was going to point out a) the slowdown mechanic, which is hella useful and b) the superb soundtrack. A was mentioned, so...man, awesome soundtrack, right?
    Awesome is an understatement good Sir. Gas and Biosphere in one game is a dream come true for any ambient fan.

I guess I'm really not patient or coordinated enough for this game. Probably just going to shelve it away, as it's not very fun for me. I can't stand the slow time mechanic, as I'm already wasting too much mass trying to just MOVE.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    The physics in this game are just fantastic, it's one of the best demonstrations of Newton's Third Law I've ever seen in a game. It is bastard hard, though, and certainly not "relaxing and ambient" as it's advertised.

It's Feeding Frenzy. As is Flow. But no, it has a fancy hat, therefore it's arty bollocks.