Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Good Android games

I have recently upgraded my phone so I thought that I would ask the denziens of the good ship Shotgun for recommendations for good Android games.

Typically I am looking for decent strategy games, including tower defense games, or RPGs. I currently Have Kingdom Rush (good but gets a bit too hard), Imperium Galactica 2 (decent but poor UI) and Hoplite (a decent rogue like).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Should have posted in Other, else the minions of the PC overlords will rain down upon you!

And holy shit! Imperium Galactica 2 is out on Android?!!!??!? I never could get that to run in Win7 from disc.

Anything that has been in the Humble Bundle Androids are good to look at first.

Frozen Synapse is on Android. Anomaly 1, Korea and 2. Plants vs Zombies 1 if you have not played it already. Eufloria HD. Hero Academy. Swords and Soldiers HD.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    The only proper game for android I've played is tower defense-like Rymdkapsel. It's good for a couple of hours' clicking about, but has little long-lasting appeal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    PUNCH QUEST
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    I've been playing the GBA release of Final Fantasy 6 thanks to the magic of emulators. I also have the Android release of Avadon: Black Fortress, and that's a reasonably fun time so far.

Definitely look out for Humble Android Bundles, that's where I get most of my games. Meanwhile, here's a few specific recommendations - just stuff that I like, so take with a pinch of salt ;-).

Anomaly is a reverse-tower-defence (choose and upgrade an assault force and guide them past enemy turrets) that might float your boat. I think the sequel is out for Android as well. There's a port of the linux TBS Wesnoth that can be had for a couple of quid, and if you fancy something with a bit of a horror flavour try Call of Cthulhu: Wasted Land. Great Little War Game is also not too bad if a bit simplistic.

The Spiderweb RPG Avadon is available for Android - I think it's pretty much identical to the PC version which is what I have, but needs at least a 1280x720 screen.

Also look out for the Trese Brothers games. They fall somewhere between RPG and TBS, with the spacehulk-like Templar Assault, sort-of-elite-or-X-like-but-turnbased Star Traders, and the most RPG-like game which is Cyber Knights. All are quite deep, with a decent bit of complexity to them. Templar Assault is set in a series of levels, Star Traders and Cyber Knights are basically sandboxes. The free versions are much more than demos - they're essentially complete games. The paid versions add in a bunch of content like extra gear, ships, additional factions etc with the proceeds going into more development - updates are frequent. The free versions are completely ad-free and require no special permissions to install. Graphics are simplistic and sometimes a bit ugly, but enough to do the job - but if you bounce off the free version there's no harm done.

Hope this helps!
    There is nothing more powerful than a bad idea who's time has come...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Moving to "other, lesser" formats to keep the universe in order. =P

Also, have a handful links to old android threads lost to the mists of time ^_^ (not sure how many of these fit the strategy-or-rpg specification though): a link, and another, also this, and that!
    Last edited by Berzee; 03-02-2014 at 04:07 AM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There's only really one game on Android you need

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gress&hl=en_GB

Ingress and WoW are the only games I've ever played where my other half actually asked me to stop playing them on account of how much time they were taking-up - if you get into it, it will take over a large proportion of your life - it has that sort of addictiveness to it.

I now see most of the area upto about 20 miles around me as a series of triangles or potential triangles - I have carefully built profiles of my (considerable - I'm outnumbered 6:1) opposition and I know their weaknesses and repeatedly prey upon them - at least once a week our faction meet for a smash-and-grab - at least once a month we have a cross-faction beer drinking session

It's quite a game

Note: I quit WoW but still play Ingress - don't tell her tho eh? :)
    Last edited by trjp; 03-02-2014 at 04:05 AM.

Ingress looks cool. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere tho so I doubt that kinda AR thing would work well here. There's no single player mode, is there?

I'll throw in another vote for Anomaly: Warzone Earth though. Fun game, and actually simple enough to be playable and enjoyable on a smartphone. The Organ Trail is also fun, it's basically FTL but in a stationwagon instead of a spaceship, except more simple. I love Frozen Synapse, it's my most played game on Steam, but I can't recommend the mobile version. I tried it on my iPad, but it was too cumbersome to be enjoyable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    There's a decent Nethack Android port. It's still quite fiddly compared to using a proper keyboard, but it features sensible touchscreen controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Should have posted in Other, else the minions of the PC overlords will rain down upon you!

And holy shit! Imperium Galactica 2 is out on Android?!!!??!? I never could get that to run in Win7 from disc.

Anything that has been in the Humble Bundle Androids are good to look at first.

Frozen Synapse is on Android. Anomaly 1, Korea and 2. Plants vs Zombies 1 if you have not played it already. Eufloria HD. Hero Academy. Swords and Soldiers HD.
    Fucking fuck fuck. IMPERIUM GALACTICA 2!!!!111111

Also, Bloon TD is actually great. A very polished TD game.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

You should try flappy birds I know it is a bit casual but it is real addictive and fun, also memedroid is good but it isn't a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    There's a decent Nethack Android port. It's still quite fiddly compared to using a proper keyboard, but it features sensible touchscreen controls.
    Yeah, Nethack is decent. I've also played Devil's Attorney which was great. Really funny puzzle/adventure game. Well worth it. Also bought Knights of Pen and Paper +1 for my phone a while back. Only an hour in, but fine for pickup/put down while my girlfriend is in the changing room and I'm awkwardly leaning against a nearby wall.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    Ingress looks cool. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere tho so I doubt that kinda AR thing would work well here. There's no single player mode, is there?
    No single-player but you might be surprised by how many people play it - I live in a small town about 15 miles from a city and we have about 20 portals here - about 200 between us and the city and 100s in the city itself...

If you sign-up you get access to the Intel Map which shows portals worldwide (tho it's a pain to zoom in to see all of them - that said there are 100s of 1000s of the things so...)

In other news - Hoplite is amazing and Badland is a work-of-art for a game with 1 finger control!!

Forgot earlier - mobile gaming being a minefield of the worst kind of F2P exploitation and invasive advertising, Honest Android Games is worth checking out. It lists games that are either free of in-app purchases or where the IAP's are the relatively inoffensive ones where you pay once for new content. Nerdcubed may or may not be to your youtubing taste but this (slightly sweary) review of the mobile version of Dungeon Keeper shows just how low EA, amongst others, is prepared to sink.
    There is nothing more powerful than a bad idea who's time has come...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't know how, well, "lite" you like your RPGs, but the Walking Dead mobile game (Walking Dead: Assault)is pretty good. Basically a simple Diablo-like with abandoned cities instead of dungeons, zombies for mobs, so on. Looks great, runs fairly well on modest hardware. Well worth the price. Ubisoft's port of Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is supposed to be okay, though apparently not so much on phone screens - it's a great game so I'm still offering it as a recommendation but perhaps approach with caution. And Wraithborne is a decent little hack and slash, nothing too complicated, but the first few levels seemed pretty good to me. It's built on Unreal so it needs some fairly decent hardware, but IIRC it's free to try, possibly even to play the whole thing (couldn't work out when it was going to ask me to pay anything, and it hasn't forced me to yet).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Try Lords of Midnight. I haven't played the android version, but I keep meaning to. Off to read dungeon keeper review...

dungeon keeper is supposedly shite. its a cashgrab in a cashgrab.

read this on the reviews for the game, not an actual review: (but quite interesting)

http://maryhamilton.co.uk/2014/02/du...me-still-game/
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 08-02-2014 at 10:19 AM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    In other news - Hoplite is amazing and Badland is a work-of-art for a game with 1 finger control!!
    I will say it again; Badland was my personal game of the year for 2013. No, I'm not joking. I thought it had more artistry, craftmanship, invention, fun and that it evoked more interesting emotions than every single other game I played that year on any format. (Only The Last of Us came close.) An absolute work of genius that beats every single Trials game into a cocked hat.

EDIT: On that note, this.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    I had $5 credit for the Amazon Appstore so I looked for a title I could spend the bulk of it on and came across Cook, Serve, Delicious. Since this is currently on my Steam wishlist (missed it during the Holiday sales), I thought I'd check out the mobile implementation.

This game is very deep and good for some frantic finger swiping/tapping.