Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Let's have a talk about pumpkins

Pumpkin. Pumpkin never changes.
    The Romans waged war to gather squash and wealth. Spain built an empire from its lust for gourd and territory. Hitler shaped a butternut Germany into an economic superpower.

But pumpkin never changes.

Ah, October. Falling leaves, muddy streets and, of course, pumpkins. I used to hate pumpkins. My grandmother only ever had pickled pumpkins, self made from pumpkins she grew in her garden and it was absolutely disgusting. I avoided pumpkins for many years but lately I rediscovered this glorious vegetable, especially the butternut squash.
    I just had a delicious butternut-cream soup for dinner followed by a butternut cupcake (which ended up sombrero-shaped for some reason). Once roasted you can do so many things with it. It's really easier than it seems. Dare to pumpkin.

What do you think of pumpkins and why do you love it? Are pumpkin pies actually any good?
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I did not like pumpkin pie when I tried it. Roasting makes a lot of things taste better though.

My GF makes a delicious spicy pumpkin soup. It's a great ingredient for stews too.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

I learned to love pumpkin a couple of years ago when my flatmate made a pumpkin soup topped with poppy seeds for the annual Halloween party we used to host back then. Just yesterday I ate some roasted (or maybe baked) pumpkin slices with a tasty dressing and had some as ingredient in a salad.

But it's more than just food. Jack O'lanterns are awesome, it's a shame you don't see them around where I live as often as you would in, say, the states. They aren't really spooky... well, maybe a bit. They glow in the dark. They burn from the inside while grinning at you. How awesome is that?

I love it if video game include JoLs or maybe even allow you to wear one. For example, you can make a Pumpkin Helmet in Divinity: Original Sin (recipe is any knife + pumkin, go figure). Then there is this character Mad King Thorn from the Guild Wars games. He's basically an incarnation of Halloween:

Pumpkins are awesome.
    Forum janitor in training.

Ive made pumpkin soup thrice already, the first time in the first week of september.

Love it, though Im definitely not going to make much more this year.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Pumpkin bread used to be my favourite.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I don't think I've ever had or carved a pumpkin.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I can't stand the taste of pumpkin, and pumpkin beer is an abomination.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

They only problems are it stinks after some time in the open and no1 cares about hallowen here.
    post in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Pumpkin bread used to be my favourite.
    Now that you've mentioned it, a bakery store I frequent sells pumpkin buns during the season. Very tasty.

test.jpg
    Last edited by Squiz; 06-10-2014 at 03:44 PM.

I concur./10
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Now that you've mentioned it, a bakery store I frequent sells pumpkin buns during the season. Very tasty.

test.jpg
    I realize that gal is likely eating (many) hot dogs, but at first glance it appears she is trying not to vomit.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Hm, I need to find a more fitting pic it seems.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Pumpkin strudel is the best strudel.

Apple strudel izdabesd
    post in progress

I love pumpkins. I guess it has something to do with being born in October and seeing them everywhere along with Halloween stuff. And come on..Halloween is just plain awesome. Anyway, yea..love 'em. I buy any kind of pumpkin/jackolantern thing I come across. When we bought black furniture we ended up painting the room orange. It's kind of funny because people always think I'm joking..

Anyway, love pumpkin pie..muffins..you name it! :)
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    I love pumpkins. I guess it has something to do with being born in October and seeing them everywhere along with Halloween stuff. And come on..Halloween is just plain awesome. Anyway, yea..love 'em. I buy any kind of pumpkin/jackolantern thing I come across. When we bought black furniture we ended up painting the room orange. It's kind of funny because people always think I'm joking..

Anyway, love pumpkin pie..muffins..you name it! :)
    Especially here in austria where there the local original traditions havent died out, the pumpkin and the holiday that goes with it, erntedankfest, essentially thanksgiving, are quite a big thing.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I realize that gal is likely eating (many) hot dogs, but at first glance it appears she is trying not to vomit.
    It's probably be a bit of both, I guess. I know I would want to vomit after eating more than a couple of hot dogs.

I can't say I've ever eaten pumpkin bread or buns, sounds like something I should try. I can't remember ever seeing it in a store either.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Oh, and the picture looks like it's butternut squash..I know, gourds and all, but if we're specifically talking about pumpkins..
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    It's probably be a bit of both, I guess. I know I would want to vomit after eating more than a couple of hot dogs.

I can't say I've ever eaten pumpkin bread or buns, sounds like something I should try. I can't remember ever seeing it in a store either.
    I'll try to get a picture of one tonight after work. :)