Thread: Podcasts?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Podcasts?

Does anyone have any good podcasts to recommend?

Recently I've been thinking about trying to listen to a few podcasts during my commute. But I don't know which ones are good or how to find them.
    Podcasts seem to be this whole other internet. I heard they're surprisingly popular, but they seem kinda ignored on the text/video net.

I've heard a few people mention them around here, so I thought I'd make a thread where people could mention what they're listening to. (separate from the "what are you listening to?" thread, which is mainly music. )

Might be useful to mention how long the podcasts are on average, and how often they are released.

As for me, right now I only listen to the JapanesePod101 podcast to learn Japanese. Their free feed includes everything (all levels, videos, etc..) so it updates pretty much every day, but I'm only downloading and listening to the intermediate lessons, which are about once a week. About 12-20 minutes per episode, depending on the class.
    (don't have a link to the feed handy right now)

Network Hub
    Here's a thread on the same subject.

The only podcast I listen to is Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. If I ever catch up I might have to find something else, but that's a strictly theoretical problem for the moment.
    Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

Well, might as well start off with the obvious ones.

This American Life - every week brings you 3 stories on the same theme. And these are some great human interest stories. Exciting, funny, heartbreaking. Almost every week I'm sitting there thinking "man, this'd make a great movie".

WTF with Marc Maron - stand up comedian Marc Maron does hour long, in depth, interviews with show business people twice a week. A recent good one is the interview with Nick Frost. That guy's lived, man.

And I suggest you browse through the shows over at earwolf.com. Most of my favourites are over there. Comedy Bang Bang, The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project, How Did This Get Made?, Analyze Phish, U Talkin U2 To Me?, Professor Blastoff. All great!

Also are you listening on a Android device? Is so I recommend the BeyondPod app. It's 5 bucks or so but it'll download, organize, and keep all your podcast episodes up to date. It's great.

edit: and yes, I second Hardcore History. That show's so good I've even paid for some of the older episodes. Dan Carlin's political podcast "Common Sense" is good too.
    Last edited by Henke; 23-02-2015 at 07:26 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I love listening to podcasts now especially the NPR science/journalist ones.

Radiolab - stories that question a particular and facination philosophical subject. For example what should justice be, what do objects really mean to us, and more. The stories they have are fascinating and and sometimes they just stick with you. Highly recommended http://www.radiolab.org/series/podcasts/

Invisibilia - it was only a 6 episode run and very similar to radiolab but that doesn't mean it wasn't great. It talked about the hidden forces that shaped our lives like categories, thoughts, and expectations. The stories they told were again fascinating and powerful sometimes. http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/

Freakanomics - This time about social economics, they delve into subjects like why restaurants give you free bread, whether computers will destroy the economy, and other facinating subjects. A bit more of a breezy tone then those other two but still quite interesting. http://freakonomics.com/radio/freako...dcast-archive/

Thats it for the science podcasts...later I will recommend some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Here's a thread on the same subject.

The only podcast I listen to is Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. If I ever catch up I might have to find something else, but that's a strictly theoretical problem for the moment.
    that reminded me of george carlin... just check on youtube and listen to it, good podcast to listen to in the background, lol.
    conquerorgame.com
    you don´t know what free gaming means, if you dont know conq.
    the best thing about it, most people won´t like it, but i like the people that do!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Giant Bomb - A weekly podcast that averages a run time of 2.5-3 hours, with a tendency to go below/far above that every so often. Get a good impression of what the crew is playing, old and new, as well as discussion of industry talk and silly e-mails. Generally funny, often off-topic, sometimes rather interesting and informative.

RHLSTP! - Or as the uncool kids call it, Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast. Likely to be enjoyed more by those in Britain, Richard Herring (of (Stewart) Lee and Herring fame) interviews various (mostly) British comedians and/or funny people discussing where they get their crazy ideas from, thoughts on the comedy scene, their history in the industry and answering some very, very stupid questions.

The Bugle - An audio newspaper for a digital world! Weekly (well, sometimes) satirical look at the world in news that has a good chance of making you guffaw. Hosted by Andy Zaltzman and John Oliver (Community, Last Week Tonight).

The Nerdist - Chris Hardwick, American comedian and TV host, inteviews everyone! From comedians to actors to musicians, people! There are over 600 podcasts, so you should be able to find someone who you find interesting.

Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Reviews - Dull, but accurate title aside, fans of Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's riffing on BBC Radio will appreciate this, along with those who care about films. Come to hear Mark Kermode talk directly about films with a critical eye, stay for Simon Mayo's humorous remarks. This is mostly a collection of parts from their radio show, with a few extra bits chucked on.

Bonus "I haven't listened to it enough to make up my mind": How Did This Get Made? - A look at bad films where various people, who I'm sure are important for some reason but I dunno, deconstruct them and have a look into commentaries and interviews to find out how did this mistake come to be.