Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar

Health in the News

Just saw this cool article and was gonna PM it, but I thought... why not share with everyone :D

Gut feeling: How intestinal bacteria may influence our moods
    Researchers beginning to understand link between gut bacteria and mental health

There is also a cool heat map of people's bodies based on their moods, maybe I'll find it again later :)

One in three Alzheimer's cases preventable, says research

A lot of common risk factors for heart disease on there.

Alzheimer's research in 'major step' towards blood test

Currently it is *clinically* diagnosed empirically in a patient interview combined with a metric called the "Mini Mental Status Examination." The only absolute final confirmation can be made after death, right now. Medical therapy is extremely limited unfortunately.

HIV re-emerges in 'cured' Mississippi girl

This one is interesting on two fronts... one in what the title reads. Two in that there are people with blood and marrow resistant to HIV due to random mutation. It has been mentioned before of the two or three people reported completely cured of HIV, but most people haven't heard of it I think.

Healthy gay men urged to take HIV drugs - WHO

How dead are dead people? Probably the weirdest article of health related ones in a while: The ultimate comeback: Bringing the dead back to life

Malaria parasite 'gets down to the bone'

And lastly for now, a big question: Will today's children die earlier than their parents?

I like reading the titles alone sometimes, it makes me feel like I'm playing SimCity :P
    Last edited by rockman29; 14-07-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Network Hub
    Thanks!

Gut bacteria thing is interesting-- color me skeptical for now. Gut flora are kind of the sexy thing right now. Shouldn't be hard to test in people, let's get some replication. (Link between GI distress and some mental health disorders long recognized, although the causality's always been assumed to go the other way. Always interesting to see directions of causality challenged.)

Would love to see the Alzheimer's risk factors paper. Article suggests an intervention, but I don't think any occurred? (Just as an aside: all of these big databases make me worry about the future of this kind of research.)

Hadn't heard of Lazarus phenomena previously. And I always find the obesity stuff fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    How dead are dead people? Probably the weirdest article of health related ones in a while: The ultimate comeback: Bringing the dead back to life
    wow, crazy. thx

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Network Hub
    "Is the Daily Mail the single biggest killer of health-related threads?"

In the scope of what is taught, a lot of that is actually very important information, just presented in a very crude way :P

For example, chronic acid reflux may transform into a condition called Barrett's oesophagus, which carries a 1%/year rate of transformation into adenocarcinoma of the esophagus.

The primary method to battle it is not surgery, but to use preventative care to fight it. And antacids are definite in reducing risk of development of Barrett's and adenocarcinoma of the esophagus.

Like that relationship, many of the links are actually incredibly important information that would be great for the public to be aware of, only the actually really important health information is also side-by-side and hidden under the wall of text that also includes some things that just aren't nearly as valuable.

Example is aspirin and cancer risk, it has so much conflicting and probably useless data because it's probably the most readily available medication and is so widely used. But that again just kind of covers up the more definite research with aspirin on other topics where it is very valuable.

Network Hub
    Some stuff I ran into that I think is interesting:

Reananalysis of RCT from raw data. Different interpretations in 35% of examined articles.

Comparison of trial registries with trials. 22% of trials examined changed primary outcome from registry to publication; 80% changed the number of secondary outcomes.

Oldie I just discovered: Friday discharge rates 24% higher, holiday Monday discharge rates 65% lower than non-holiday Mondays.

edit: non-causal, but kind of holy sheet man: Sodium intake below 3g daily associated with higher mortality, more cardiovascular events than sodium intake 4-6g daily.

Sorry, just revisiting some old news sources I haven't been to in a long time, and so many really cool papers.
    Last edited by nate; 10-10-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Health? Ebola is becoming pretty fucking scary.
    Do you enjoy going fast and crashing into a barrier? Then join us at the Racing Subforum!

Definitely. US is debating closing borders right now (the man in Texas died yesterday). Apparently one man in Macedonia, a Briton, is being tested after dying with symptoms similar to Ebola. And a nurse in Spain apparently as well, didn't hear what happened there yet.

It's already a health crisis definitely. It's been so awful that it has completely sidelined even MERS (Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome) caused by a virus similar to SARS in 2004. It's being called the worst international health crisis since AIDS. Can't really argue with that either.

Some countries are starting to run oral temperature checks on passengers arriving from African countries. Can't say I would argue against that.

The Briton in Macedonia was apparently not Ebola. Not confirmed yet but it's unlikely.
    Do you enjoy going fast and crashing into a barrier? Then join us at the Racing Subforum!

Network Hub
    Australia has dispatched its valiant Air Force and a few hundred SAS troops to go kill people in Iraq some more, but is unable to materially assist with Ebola because it might not be able to bring our people home again.

*crickets*
    Last edited by Lethe; 10-10-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Canada has done the same thing. In 3 weeks CF-18s will be sent to bomb the middle east, and we've only offered meager support to the Ebola crisis. Apparently a single laser-guided bomb costs $21,000, at least the ones the CF-18s will be using.

A year ago, the same dear leader criticized an opponent for wanting to know "the root causes" of why people become terrorists. Our current dear leader responded by saying "we don't want to know why." Almost a year later... dear leader PM starts doing just that, in exploring "how" people are joining ISIS/ISIL. Dear leaders publicity office then draws a distinction two days ago: we don't want to know "why" we only want to know "how." As if there is some moral superiority in that respect.

It's interesting we are willing to act to go to war and bomb the homes of millions of people, possibly creating the environment in which militancy is the norm, but exploring why we are in this international situation in the first place is apparently is not a good idea. Can't say if it's correct or not... but I personally don't think even a large minority of Canadians is supporting this military action. I doubt in Australia either. Or in many countries.

Well, besides the air strikes Australia and other countries are sending troops to help with coordination and training of the new Iraqi army. I'd say that is a desirable thing for all the parties involved, and is in no way equal to a full scale invasion or even an assault.

Frankly we (as in "rich countries") should not underestimate neither Ebola nor ISIL.

Yea I'd just prefer more a supporting role/hands-away-but-helping approach to the Middle East. Canada is also sending advisers, which I don't really mind as much. But the costs of sending planes and bombs, that part I don't like as much.

I don't think any country really has the capacity to fix this anymore... it has gotten so out of hand and I think the primary inciting factor was putting military there in the first place... not that I don't think defending civilians is important. I don't know. I don't think continuously bombing the place is helping much.... we've been in that process for so many years now I think our Westernized/developed nations should maybe consider that it is part of the problem too...

There have already been significant reports of ISIL already adapting to the strategies that western militaries are adopting by reducing airstrike targets and disbanding open areas of operation and moving back into civilian areas >.>

Before this was reported General Dempsey of US and President Obama agreed that troops on the ground is not an impossibility, and Dempsey did not rule out recommending it (again I think)... to which the president apparently responded "come to me on a case-by-case basis."

The Canadian role in Afghanistan is one I feel I should be more proud of. Troops were deployed, and the cost of lives significant for our military. But the military mission focused on defense and rebuilding, which I thought was good. I'm not 100% certain the military deployment overall was ideal. But that it did happen, I'm at least glad that was the focus that time. In this new deployment, I don't imagine the same focus is there.
    Last edited by rockman29; 10-10-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    Well, besides the air strikes Australia and other countries are sending troops to help with coordination and training of the new Iraqi army. I'd say that is a desirable thing for all the parties involved, and is in no way equal to a full scale invasion or even an assault.

Frankly we (as in "rich countries") should not underestimate neither Ebola nor ISIL.
    In Australia's case, we committed ourselves back to Iraq before there was anything to commit to. Like, before the US had even started trying to corral its allies. We were just, like, "hell yeah, bombing some bad guys? We're all in for that!"

And when you contrast that ... enthusiasm ... and snap marshalling of state resources, incl. special funding, with the tepid and frankly cowardly response to Ebola, and it begins to look a little sickening.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Definitely. US is debating closing borders right now
    That's not real-- that's one guy trying to take advantage of this for some kind of immigration-related thing. Probably just for political points.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    That's not real-- that's one guy trying to take advantage of this for some kind of immigration-related thing. Probably just for political points.
    Yes sorry that is correct. I only conveyed the headlines of it. But this is more accurate.

Network Hub
    A lot of really interesting stuff, since I last bothered looking:

"General health checks did not reduce morbidity or mortality,
    neither overall nor for cardiovascular or cancer causes, although the number of new diagnoses was increased. Important harmful outcomes, such as the number of follow-up diagnostic procedures or short term psychological effects, were often not studied or reported and many trials had methodological problems. With the large number of participants and deaths included, the long follow-up periods used, and considering that cardiovascular and cancer mortality were not reduced, general health checks are unlikely to be beneficial.

I can very much imagine that is the case. Typically diagnosing anything first requires some kind of complaint. And most people are healthy. General health checks should not be confused with other elements like counselling on health issues or primary prevention strategies which is providing information to patients.

Interviews with Sierra Leone residents on how Ebola has been a catastrophe for their families
    Last edited by rockman29; 17-10-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Network Hub
    Except, it's the only way a healthy young adult without known risk factors would ever access a doctor. So they'd seem pretty important to doctor-mediated primary prevention. (I've always found the primary/secondary/tertiary distinction pretty meaningless-- illness begets illness, and where you start to call it such is arbitrary.)