Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar

Same sex marriage legal in USA

Gay marriage declared legal across the US in historic supreme court ruling

http://gu.com/p/4a6h6?CMp

Well. About time. Such a beautiful news.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Way to go team!
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

gz /25685568

Network Hub
    For some reason I can't stop walking around at work with a huge grin on my face.

Welcome to Obama's America.
    Immersive Sims on Steam WIP

Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

Without directions a lot of people wind up going round in circles...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Great, so Australia is now officially the most backward member of the Anglo club.

Also, the meltdown over at Free Republic is predictably entertaining.
    Last edited by Lethe; 26-06-2015 at 07:21 PM.
    "... the sort of atheist who did not so much disbelieve in God as personally dislike him."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Great, so Australia is now officially the most backward member of the Anglo club.

I know overpopulation is a problem but I can't believe that America is forcing people into homosexual marriages.

A dark day for people who are not even curious about putting genitals like their own near them.

I think this will end up like prohibition, people will open up secret bars where they marry and have sex with people the opposite sex and then slink back to their state mandated same sex partners. How are the same sex marriage partners selected, could you opt it to be someone especially masculine/feminine so you can still get aroused if you try and hold down your Gods given fear of genitals that are like your own?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Don't worry. We of the Secret SJW Cabal are working on experimental technology that allows you to simply swap out genitals at will, so you can have either or both or neither or other on a day-by-day basis as desire dictates. Once that's perfected, we'll make it a thoughtcrime to have a gender preference and legally require all marriages to include at least 3 partners.

I wish I could find that stuff entertaining rather than deeply disturbing. The one that caught my eye is the guy who somehow goes from gay marriage to a racist rant about blacks and hispanics.

The crazified segment is always crazier than I anticipate.
    Last edited by Gus_Smedstad; 27-06-2015 at 03:03 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yay. It's nice to see some good news with all the other depressing crap going on.
    It's still surprising to me how quickly the zeitgeist changed on gay marriage.

Obama's second term is turning out to be both very successful (indirectly at least) and also kind of depressing. Things are changing, but also things haven't changed at all.

This AND the nationwide confirmation that the Confederate Flag does not stand for anything positive or celebratory! Coolio!

The anger (not that I care about it) comes partly from the fact that now states CANNOT override this ruling without, say, seceding from the United States. States that yesterday had 'banned' gay marriage now have it forced upon them as a constitutional decision.
    And heck, I'm fine with that. That's two ways that backwards part of the backwards country get their heads spun around.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Things are changing, but also things haven't changed at all.
    Pretty much describes the whole of human history that...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    It's unfortunate that the Americans weren't able to deal with this through actual legislation; no doubt this will remain as controversial as other cases in which a judicial ruling rather than an elected political body representing the people changed the status quo. But I suppose this is their system, and if that's what they want then that's fair enough.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    It's unfortunate that the Americans weren't able to deal with this through actual legislation; no doubt this will remain as controversial as other cases in which a judicial ruling rather than an elected political body representing the people changed the status quo. But I suppose this is their system, and if that's what they want then that's fair enough.
    from my understanding of the system.

there is no need for legislation as current one support and protect same-sex marriages. Just that states were breaking the law by disallowing it. Hence the ruling.

Speaking of which, Scalia's dissent is weird. He calls it an "assault on democracy" because it was being decided by judicial review rather than legislation. He attacks the whole concept of the Court's existence. Usually he hides his blatant politically motivated rulings behind originalism, which is at least judicial reasoning. This on the other hand is a failure to understand US government on a high school level.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Why? If it gets the job done then there doesn't really see a need to pass legislation. It's a fine day for the constitution doing what it actually fucking says for once. Turns out everyone should be treated equally under the law and all the ruling really says is "Yeah that does include gay people you dipshits." It's better because it's probably even more of a poke in the eye to original intentists and conservatives.

Also the Ruling is surprisingly readable and quite informative. I'm not sure if this is indicative but they actually seem to be written in plain English, I've tried looking up the British equivalent and it's almost unreadable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I found that most US lawthingies are rather readable. Popehat often quotes directly and I find them rather easy to read.

(Seek out Popehat Prendalaw on your google machine).
    Join our new Dirt Rally events!
    Or come and play Arma with us
    "Probably the worst thing facing writers on the net these days is that no one believes a differing opinion is sincere" - Cara Ellison

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Also the Ruling is surprisingly readable and quite informative. I'm not sure if this is indicative but they actually seem to be written in plain English, I've tried looking up the British equivalent and it's almost unreadable.
    Is it too cliche/simplistic to blame this on the British class system?
    "... the sort of atheist who did not so much disbelieve in God as personally dislike him."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Is it too cliche/simplistic to blame this on the British class system?
    I'd argue it's because british law is a lot older and therefore has some archa´c traditions. Consider, for example, that it does not have a constitution but rather a set of laws interacting with eachother. The US constitution was partly written so that it could be reasonably easy to understand and since anything involving law eventually harks back to the constitution it will be written in more or less the same language. Likewise in the UK.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 27-06-2015 at 01:02 PM.
    Join our new Dirt Rally events!
    Or come and play Arma with us
    "Probably the worst thing facing writers on the net these days is that no one believes a differing opinion is sincere" - Cara Ellison

A great thing to see happen! I hope this makes a lot of people happy.

Though I was surprised at reading articles showing quite large-scale meltdowns over this decision on social media accounts all across the world; I'm not ignorant of continued homophobia and such feelings which sadly continue to thrive even today and, considering the 5-4 ruling in favour of this, it is apparent there are many who oppose it, but I am confused as to why they would. Is it purely religious? Because I don't see how marriage being legal for same sex relationships negatively effects the population in any capacity.