Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar

Best Film Ever Made

There is one for video games so why not one for movies. I will even allow you to have one for each genre.

To start us off mine is A Clockwork Orange. It is a rather strange movie everything Stanley Kubrick does in the movie is a bit off the wall, there is no standard scene there is always some weird surreal thing in it. It is a disturbing movie which you don't get first time but you can unpick the layers of what it is about. Plus the music just adds to the strange atmosphere, it has probably one of the strongest openings of a film to get you in the mood for it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HI-mDTdeKR8

Back to the Future

Magnolia (drama)
    The Big Lebowski (uh... comedy/crime/hardboiled detective film noir-pastiche? ...with bowling)
    The Matrix (action)

Terry Gilliam's Brazil, at least the director's cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Terry Gilliam's Brazil, at least the director's cut.
    ^phenomenal film. good call

2001: A Space Odyssey.
    Closely followed by Tarkovsky's Solaris

Tarkovsky's Solaris
    I liked his Stalker more then his solaris made a bit more sense to me and felt the emotional problems the characters were having in stalker then I did solaris.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Heat because ten char.

The Blues Brothers is my favourite. Seen it so many times, but it just doesn't get old. The music is great, the lines are funny and infinitely quotable, the car chases are insane, the characters are weird and wonderful and it's all brilliantly shot and always fun to pick out the multitude of cameos and references. I love it.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stories: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I liked his Stalker more then his solaris made a bit more sense to me and felt the emotional problems the characters were having in stalker then I did solaris.
    There is no doubt that stalker is a brilliant film. I don't know, Solaris resonated more with me.
    Maybe it is because Solaris has a more psychological theme while Stalker deals more with philosophy. But I can's tell precisely why I prefer Solaris.

Apocalypse Now, the original screen edit. Thought the Redux version was a bit flabby. Still for me, the best film ever made.

Edit:

I suppose I should elaborate a bit really.

I love it because it was made back when films still had artistry about them. You can see it most plainly in the way the frames are edited and blended together. It really is art. You just don't see that sort of thing being done in main steam films now. The most famous of such edits is where the ceiling fans in Willard's hotel room blend with the noise of distant helicopter rotor blades. A scene that's been mimicked many times since and has gone on to become almost something of a genre cliche.

I love many of the above mentioned films too. Thought I'd also add Steven Soderbergh's film Traffic, done back when he actually made decent films. Traffic is also superb and made with artistic sensibility.
    Last edited by Chaz; 01-07-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Probably Withnail & I, though I haven't seen it for years.

Or Bladerunner. Or Raiders of the Lost Ark. Or The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Blade Runner (Final Cut) - everything is perfect here. Setting, decorations, MUSIC, plot, atmosphere.

Once Upon a Time in West - I'm crying with manly tears everytime I see this movie.

To Kill a Mockingbird - there's something in this movie that I love, not sure what exactly. And Atticus Finch is The Man.

Fantasitc Mr. Fox - the best stop-motion animation ever and Mr. Fox is really fantastic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Without A Clue makes me laugh non-stop.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Blade Runner (Final Cut) - everything is perfect here. Setting, decorations, MUSIC, plot, atmosphere.

Yep Yep Yep! I love that film even though the first time I watched it I didn't really get why it was called a called a great movie, but after watching it about 3 times I see the reason and I've noticed a lot of cool little details that make that movie re-watchable.

Guess I should fill out my genres as well

Fantasy: Lord Of The Rings - This was my Star Wars, the movie that I watched just at the right time as a kid and just grew up with it and continue to watch and rewatch it to this day. The music is just fantastic and makes you in that world, the story is just great and I will fight you to the death to say that the Samwise Gamgee and Frodo Baggins relationship is one of the most heartfelt and touching things in cinema and not "gay".

Comedy: Hot Fuzz - Perfect comedy movie, so re-watchable, so quotable, and has a great story and sensibility to it. Better and with a much better theme to it then a lot of comedies and dare i say it Shaun Of The Dead.

Action: Total Recall - I'm not kidding with this, this is a clever movie ostensibly a cheesy 80s action movie staring loveble Mr. Arnold that you can enjoy on that level, but also a movie satirising 80s cheesy action movies and how weird it is that Mr. Arnold is an action hero. Awesome awesome stuff, the action and that is glorious over the top and the story is great.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven is a masterpiece.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Total Recall - I'm not kidding with this, this is a clever movie ostensibly a cheesy 80s action movie staring loveble Mr. Arnold that you can enjoy on that level, but also a movie satirising 80s cheesy action movies and how weird it is that Mr. Arnold is an action hero. Awesome awesome stuff, the action and that is glorious over the top and the story is great.
    Paul Verhoeven in general...

I don't like repeating myself, so here's an IMDb list
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    The Big Lebowski (uh... comedy/crime/hardboiled detective film noir-pastiche? ...with bowling)
    Yeah well, that's just like, your opinion, man.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

The Matrix for me. Lost interest in the sequels but the first one is just awesome in all ways.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsonite View Post
    The Matrix for me.
    They blew their budget on this scene alone, and then asked the studio for the rest of the film. It was granted.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?