Network Hub

Life Affirming or Feel Good Films

A recent post in the "Wot films are you watching?" thread got me thinking about a certain kind of film: the kind able to cheer you up when you're feeling down, that restores your faith in humanity and leaves you feeling warmly benevolent towards all things. In other words: feel-good films. This thread is where we recommend them. If people could post a short description or trailer with their recommendation, that would be appreciated. Here are a couple to start with:

3 Idiots (2009)
    IMDb: 8.5

A Bollywood film about three Engineering students and their struggle to navigate the hurdles of exams, life, and love.

Tillsammans (Together) (2000)
    IMDb: 7.5

A Swedish film set in the 1970s, about a wife who leaves her abusive husband and joins her brother's leftist commune. Idealism collides with human foibles and mundane practicalities.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
    IMDb: 8.4

Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet star in a romantic comedy about the perils and possibilities of a new procedure that allows people to erase each other from their memories.
    Last edited by Lethe; 23-03-2015 at 12:00 PM.
    Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Probably there's no way to get this movie with english subtitles at all, as it is rather obscure even here in Poland, but anyway:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102508/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    This is my ultimate movie to brighten the mood. It's quite nostalgic, but it's not a rose-tinted nostalgia and it have fantastic feel of 60's countryside of Poland. If you have an opportunity to watch it - do it.

Fantastic Mr. Fox - it's really fantastic stop-motion animation based on book by Roald Dahl I think.

My Neighbour Totoro - by Gihibli Studios, do I need to say more?

To Kill a Mockingbird.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    I like your suggestions as you haven't gone for the usual shmaltzy rubbish that often has the opposite effect.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    More goodies:

Amadeus - full of good performances and music, it always cheers me up a little, especially Salieri's march scene and Mozart's laughter.

Swingers (1996) - kind of buddy comedy that doesn't fall into stupid american comedy subgenre. Lighthearted and warm movie.

Several scenes from Falling Down, although it's kind of fucked up feel food film, but it's good when you're angry.

Disney's Fantasia - brilliant music combined with brilliant visuals is always welcome.

Once Upon a Time in West - I can't say what exactly makes this movie upbeating, probably ending which shows someone's dream coming to life.

I've mentioned Fantastic Mr. Fox before, but all other movies by Wes Anderson should be here too.

Network Hub
    I'm looking for a film for years and I just can't find its name. Also, it's very funny and playful, kinda screw ball comedy: it's Japanese, made in the 1990s I guess. It's about a staff of a radio station and they're exposed to all kind of wild shenanigans.

Does anybody know, please I must know it. Please please!!!!

Activated Node
    Google suggests Welcome Back, Mr. McDonald: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133170/

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty seems to be perfect for this. Someone who just imagines living an exciting life has to embark in a wondrous journey.

Fitzcarraldo makes you feel like you can take over the world. Aguirre does the opposite.
    Immersive Sims on Steam WIP

Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

Without directions a lot of people wind up going round in circles...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BjolkeDeBjeer View Post
    Google suggests Welcome Back, Mr. McDonald: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133170/
    I love you, forever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Mirror Mirror - the most charming and delightful movie I've seen in ages, with the sweetest Snow White ever. Also a hilarious performance by Julia Roberts as the evil queen.
    Ignore the trailers and watch it on Blu-Ray.

It's more of a comedy than a life-affirming or feel good film, but when I'm feeling down I usually re-watch This is Spinal Tap. It never fails to make me laugh and really cheers me up.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.