Secondary Hivemind Nexus

One Name Tag: Steam Barter Challenge!

Long story short, I'm looking to trade [at time of post update] The Ship for any other game on steam. From there, I'll see what I can trade up to, and if I can keep it going! Any offers? I'll keep a record of the story below too. Let's hope I don't get given something that no one wants!

The Story So Far
    Inspired by the new Valve Market place for game items and game gift trading, I thought I'd give it a go. What can I loose?
    Except maybe some sleepless nights tracking the market demand for crates... So I fired up TF2 and looked to see what I could trade. My long (but gap filled) list of hats, items and more hats, left me with only one tradable item.

Untitled.jpg

A TF2 weapon name tag. No frills and without any sparkly special effects. Nothing to make it stand out at all really. But despite it's simplicity, it fetched 0.41p, which gave me 0.36p in my Steam wallet. Score!

After nearly a thousand hours of TF2 gameplay, I get back something from it all. 36p. So, I fire up the Steam store to see what I can get. It's Bad Rats. The only game under 40p. That's not too bad I suppose. Is it? Well, turns out it's quite possibly the worse game on Steam ever.

This could be a very difficult challenge, if I wish to trade Bad Rats for anything else that's even remotely playable, I'll need to find someone very generous. Or perhaps naive? But Good news, Toki Tori is also on sale, at 34p. So, I have a chance here, to make the biggest Steam game trade challenge ever.

The Challenge is: To trade up from 1 game on the Steam store all the way to the complete Railworks 3: Train Simulator pack.

Am I crazy? Probably. Why do it? For the challenge! Will I succeed? Perhaps it's best not to answer that one. ;)

So to begin, I'll need to buy a game with these humble funds. After the first purchase, I'll be trading games only, so it will be bartering all the way. Trading back and forth with others, and trying to not corner myself with a unwanted "lemon" of a game. Any takers? The final question is, does anyone want to trade a game for Toki Tori then?

Trade so far:

1) Toki Tori went to Aiphator as my first trade for The Ship.
    2) The Ship went to Cricky as my second trade for The Legend of Grimrock.
    3) The Legend of Grimrock went to Yoko as my third trade for Bastion.

4) Bastion went to Skhalt for Civilization IV.

Current game is Civilization 4 and Burnout Paradise (+ any other EA duplicate games I have :) ). Any offers or takers? :)
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 26-08-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Toki Tori is probably a worse place to start than Bad Rats - more people will already have Toki Tori :)

I'll trade a copy of Sequence for Bad Rats tho - because I love Sequence, it should get you into something better again :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Do you need the game to be a Steam gift or is just the key acceptable? I have a spare key for Titan Quest from one of the Humble Bundles that I couldn't pay someone to take, and I don't have Toki Tori yet.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks for the offer trjp and Fumarole. I've successfully traded Toki Tori for The Ship with a nice gamer called Aiphator. While arguably equal in quality and longevity, it is a bit of a "cult classic". I wonder if anyone at all would want that one. :P
    trade1.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I managed to swap The Ship for The Legend of Grimlock (no idea how! :P). I traded The Legend of Grimlock for Bastion with my bro. So the game now on offer for trade is Bastion. Someone must have a really nice game spare from the Steam sales or from a gift they would swap for this, surely? I'd like a really good exchange, nothing over the top, just a good like for like. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well... Never managed to trade out Bastion. I missed a posted trade request just before the latest sale. with the latest sale, I don't think there is a person on the planet who does not have Bastion (except me, technically as it's in my gifts only).

But in other more relevant news, my bro sold (for Steam wallet cash, as part of the Steam Market so all allowed) his TF2 hat (just 1 hat) for 230. Yep, was a rare one. An Unusual Towering Titanium Pillar of Hats.

Beats my name tag. :(
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 17-08-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Actually I'd quite like to gift Bastion to a friend of mine. I think I have a few gift games that I really don't know what to do with in my inventory (Titan Quest and its expansion, and I think they gave me Civilization IV as an apology for Brave New World going on sale by mistake).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd be tempted to swap Bastion for both TitanQ and Civ IV if your interested. I know that's cheeky but I can throw in a free copy of Burnout Paradise too, as all going well, it's due from SteamGifts.com.
    PM me if you want to do the trade! :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, the trade goes on. Skhalt traded Civ IV for Bastion.

I'll throw in a free copy of Burnout Paradise (Steam Key) if anyone wants to trade anything for Civ IV by the end off the week. If after that, Burnout becomes someone else!

Oooo i could really go for that civ iv copy. I'll poke around in my library when i get home from work to see what I've got

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ok, I bit the biscuit (against my well intentioned knowledge and previous experiences) and got some EA games from a well renounced bundle site. ;)

So, as I have quite a few duplicates, I would be tempted to include them (Steam or Origin) with anyone who wants to offer something good for Civ 4. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I thought the point of these kind of challenges was that you can only trade what you got from trades? Adding in extra games sounds like cheating the challenge, unless those games where both received through trades?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They are duplicates... I can't do much else with them. I can add them to Steam Gifts, and see what I can win in return. But it would still not be free. These were at the price of pennies... so still within a 1 worth as it is. I've got plenty of free gifts in my Steam Inventory, but no idea if anyone would be interested as they are old games.

Burnout is defiantly "free". I'll throw in Mirrors Edge, as I've had about 4 or 5 copies of that game already, and it's great, so will throw it in out of my own pocket. As to the other games, it depends on what anyone wishes to offer. But of cause, they are only worth about 50p each or less currently in the Humble bundle.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I understand, but I remember doing something to this in college based on "one red paper clip". If I remember, the rule was you couldn't trade anything that you didn't get resulting from a previous trade.

So if I trade my tag for two games, I can trade both those games. But if I trade my tag for one game, I can't then decide to put another game in, because that other game didn't come from a trade.

But it's your own challenge, so go with whatever rules you want!
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As said, I got Burnout for free, so can throw that in at the least. :)