Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Diablo 3 PvP temporally canned

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8163...te_-12_27_2012

we don't believe it's the experience we feel it needs to be in order to ship, so we will be shelving it for now and exploring other options.
    Dueling will still be added tho.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post

So... PvP isn't cancelled.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Temporally? They chucked it into a rift in the space-time continuum? Well if you're gonna ditch features you can at least do it with style!
    Last edited by Sakkura; 28-12-2012 at 12:08 AM.

that's probably for the best, if pvp in wow is anything to go by then it would most likely have been pretty imbalanced.

Banned
    It's like a train wreck that just keeps on... well, wrecking itself

Obscure Node
    never had pvp

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Its canned until they decide onto something different. They believe through playtesting arenas would provide little more than a few hours of entertainment.

If they put that much work into it, might as well release it and let the players use it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Its canned until they decide onto something different. They believe through playtesting arenas would provide little more than a few hours of entertainment.

If they put that much work into it, might as well release it and let the players use it.
    As far as I understood, the skinner box and monetization model behind PvP was not profitable enough so they're rebuilding it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    You'd think after WoW they would be capable enough to build competent skinner boxes.

Banned
    As far as I understood, the skinner box and monetization model behind PvP was not profitable enough so they're rebuilding it.
    Oh you.

I think they put all the classes in 1v1 scenarios, ran some tests, practice matches... and some things were op. Op beyond simply nerfing them in a patch, since that would ruin them for PvM.

And what use was removing stat and skill allocation from the game now, eh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Blizzard are getting really bad at releasing games with content that's on the box missing and then just cancelling it or not talking about it. From the top of my head there's this, there's air combat in Wintergrasp for the WOTLK expansion for WoW and I believe possibly also from the same expansion the dance editor.

At this stage I doubt the players of these games will see any of these features.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yah. They probably did not want to deal with what they do in WoW having to balance PvE and PvP. WoW at least has had 5 years to fight that battle. D3 is just beginning.

Maybe just give everyone same amount of stats and level and let them go at it. Arenas reward comestic stuff and title. Or its still unbalanced if even people have the same gear but simply use different skills that are to strong.

WoW did not come with any PvP system outside allowing you to world PvP. The honor system and battlegrounds were a bit of a disappointment when they came out, coming from DAoC. Its fun but still wish they put in some meaningful World PvP. Wintergrasp and the like were a neat idea but never fully more on. And give old Alterac Valley back with 12 hour long battles and the sub objectives that helped your team push. It almost felt like a MOBA, where you were the normal minion wave and the summons were the big cannon waves. They have mentioned implementing a MOBA style battleground but have not quite developed the tech for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    And give old Alterac Valley back with 12 hour long battles and the sub objectives that helped your team push. It almost felt like a MOBA, where you were the normal minion wave and the summons were the big cannon waves.
    Dear god, this. If they ever go back to good ol' AV, I'd resub. I don't give a fig about anything else, just give me back old AV.

And give old Alterac Valley back with 12 hour long battles and the sub objectives that helped your team push. It almost felt like a MOBA, where you were the normal minion wave and the summons were the big cannon waves.
    I'd third that motion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hahahaha. I see what you did there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    They're overthinking it. Fell into the same trap as Valve and id. Nothing is good for them unless it's overengineered.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    They're overthinking it. Fell into the same trap as Valve and id. Nothing is good for them unless it's overengineered.
    Yea I think this is what may have happened. It's crazy the full PVP is not out yet.
    Broctopus had a good comic on this: http://www.thebroctopus.com/comic/ja...led-pvp-ideas/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darkdeus View Post
    Broctopus had a good comic on this: http://www.thebroctopus.com/comic/ja...led-pvp-ideas/
    That's barely even a comic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My theory is that PvP was put apart for a long time... and now have a PvE game that adapt less than decently to PvP. And want a PvP that can turn into a e-sport, and doing this is.... well.. not easy, mostly like creating another game from scratch, from pieces of other game, a frankesteingame.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Actually I'm pretty sure they've gone on record saying that they don't think D3 would work as an e-sport, but yeah, the pvp debacle is a bit sad. And so is patch 1.07. So let's see what happens now that Wilson is gone.