Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Years Gaming Resolutions!

17 years ago (or thereabouts) I made my last New Years Resolution which was never to make another New Years Resolution. Now I'm faced with a desire to wonder what my fellow RPS readers have planned for the upcoming year, so as to not break my long standing resolution, I've decided to throw in the word 'Gaming' and make it a completely new type of resolution, independent of the real one, but with much harsher consequences for failure...the knowledge RPS readers will shake their head with shame at the person who failed to keep their New Years Gaming Resolution every time they see their name in the forums - and you'll do it too, won't you? That's just how serious this is.

My goal this year, is to not leave games half finished (Well, not as many, heh).

I have a nasty habit of playing a game, getting around half way through and then leaving for a change of scenery. For the rest of the year, I'll have a game on my playlist that will taunt me. Usually I'm reluctant to go back to a game, having forgot the storyline, moral choices in an RPG I've previously chosen or even just how to play the game...leaving me to either ignore it or start the whole game again, often undoing hours of gameplay.

So this year my plan is to change that, I'll need variation as I know I'll get bored with some games, so I plan to have an active game for a specific genre, so only one FPS, RTS or RPG at a time (with the exception of some multiplayer games I expect...making excuses already!). Hopefully this will have a knock on effect of eating into my backlog of games too, which would be a nice bonus.

I'm eager to know what others have planned, should it be finally getting around to completing a particular game, making a dream game of your own or simply not typing as much profanity into a game of DOTA2...

Here's to the new year, hope you all have a good'un!
    Last edited by Mbaya; 28-12-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    Virtual Organ Doner - "It's better to gib, than to receive."
    .: Steam :: Screenshots :: Steam Beautiful Screenshots Group :.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaya View Post
    17 years ago (or thereabouts) I made my last New Years Resolution which was never to make another New Years Resolution.
    That will work for me

1920x1080 teeheehee

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    1920x1080 teeheehee
    Brilliant :D

I've been thinking of doing the same thing, Mbaya. I've played a bit of quite a few games on my backlog but randomly dropped them for hell knows what reason. In most cases, it isn't because I wasn't enjoying the game (though that does happen of course); I just get distracted by something else. I finished a few games this year that I had previously dropped, though I have countless others to work on (and I keep doing it!). I'd be working on something but I'm currently distracted by Awesomenauts.

Next up (of my partially finished games) is probably going to be Divine Divinity (I'm probably ~80% through this) or Bioshock 2 (~halfway).

Replay more games. For the last couple of years I've had such a constant stream of new games that I've barely had time to replay old favourites or newer ones I've fallen in love with and want to re-experience again. I've actually formed a replay backlog of sorts, so clearing that will be a goal for me come 2013.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    But why force yourself to finish the game if its not that good/interesting :/

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    But why force yourself to finish the game if its not that good/interesting :/
    If its a game I simply don't like, I have no problem shelving it - although I'm a bit of a completionist (just not in a timely fashion), I find most games enjoyable enough to play through to conclusion, at least single player story wise. My problem comes when choosing between a game I expect to be better or a game that I know is much shorter, in order to get it out of the backlog.

There was a time I was absolutely addicted to achievements though...grinding through a game just to meet the requirements is something I have largely under control now, although I still fight the desire to knock off all the camera's in portal. *sigh*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Maybe this will finally be the year I beat Mass Effect.

I think I'll resolve to actually finish Dark Souls, this time
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Obscure Node
    Not really sure

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    My resolution is to play more games than I buy, for once. And to finish the ones worth finishing (if possible).

This I actually started working on the last month. But, I have the intention of keeping my backlog on reasonable levels. I can't buy new games until the moment I finish off my current backlog, and then, I won't allow myself to buy more than four games on each big sale. Outside of big sales, I'll only buy games one at a time and if I don't have any backlog at all.

I've kind of been working on this for a while, but it's to play every game that I buy at least long enough to have some opinion on it, rather than a constant stream of "have it, no idea how it plays, or whether I even like that sort of game". Games in bundles that were bought for the sake of other games aren't entirely exempted, but they go to the back of the queue.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaya View Post
    17 years ago (or thereabouts) I made my last New Years Resolution which was never to make another New Years Resolution.
    You should have said "I've completed doing what I swore an oath 17 years ago to never do again... I have created a New Years Resolution."

As for me, I have no backlog. I finish my games as long as they're worth finishing, and only make purchases based on what I will play, not on what I might feel like playing sometime down the road. I'm only here so I can pass not so silent judgement on the rest of you, who lack my discipline.

*Smug*

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    My resolution is to play more games than I buy, for once. And to finish the ones worth finishing (if possible).
    This. A thousand times this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    If I resolve to do any one thing, it will be to figure out how to run my Windows 95 games again (either grabbing a 32-bit Windows 8 and seeing if that works as well as I've heard, or acquiring an old computer to run '98 on, or somesuch).
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Freakin' Backlogging.

I almost never finish a game.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I always say that I need to finish a game before I buy anything new. That never works. I blame multiplayer games.

Network Hub
    I think my only gaming resolutions would be that i'd quite like to actually make something this year. Something small, a mod perhaps using pre-developed tools or maybe a look into AGS or even Flash.