Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Dominions 3 - New Game (Beginners esp)

So the game came out on Desura and i finally picked it up. I'd love to get a game started so if you're interested post below and we'll sort something out.Not having played before suggestions welcome.So far i'm thinking:

Get Yer Pretenders In - FAQ linked below

Game Name : RPSnails
    9 players
    Hosted on Llamaserver
    ruleset - CBM 1.94
    Early AgeMap : RustyNails with 9 fixed starting postions

DIPLOMACY
    All diplomacy is to be done either in this thread or via in in game messaging system. Any agreement made public in this thread is binding.

Two turns notice is required to break a binding agreement.

A Pact (Non agression) is an agreement not to attack each other.
    An Alliance is an agreement to help each other which can result in a joint victory

Agreements can be for a set amount of time (eg Pact for 3 turns) or indefinate (subject to breaking as above)

Otherwise anything goes

Hope that works

--------------------------------------------
    player / Nation

------
    prester john - T'ien Ch'i
    Kaira - C'tis
    Jolima - Mictlan
    Zakalwe - Helheim
    GSU - Lanka
    riadsala - Caelum
    Jockie - Arco
    lasikbear - Kailasa
    Nullkigan - Sauromatia

------

reserve
    iridesence

Links

Map : http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showpost.php?p=810394
    FAQ : http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35160
    Server : http://www.llamaserver.net/
    CBM : http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/...?showtopic=998
    Last edited by Prester John; 02-01-2013 at 06:01 PM.

I'd be willing for a game. I probably have no idea what I'm doing, but that's one way to approach the game, eh?

I also got this recently and would be willing to give it a go while having no idea how to play.

Activated Node
    Hey Guys,

Me and a friend (GSU Dyslexic Organiser) have been looking for some people to play with for a while. We have only played like 2 games vs eachother that we didnt finish so both pretty new to the game. He likes to play Lanka, while I quite like Vanhiem or Abysia. Our preference would be Early Age, as has a bit more magic and cool units, though obviously happy to compromise if others have strong opinions on matter.

One thing I would suggest though is playing with the Conceptual Balance Mod. Its basically standard in MP and deals with things like clam spam and some other silly exploity things you get with vanillla. Again we are flexable, though CBM seems like a good way to go.

Hope we can sort something out!

Alex

Lesser Hivemind Node
    As long as you're not wanting too many turns per week, I'd happily join

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'd throw my hat in the ring as well, I've finished 2 games (losing both miserable and am in the process of losing 2 more so I guess i'm more of a immediate so bench me if you fill up with newer people!
    Steam: Sarigs Origin: Sarisan
    Waraura

I've played one game and am currently in a second, but I could go for another if it's not too small or fast paced. Kind of hard to get into the diplomacy side of things when there are only three teams.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Also interested, currently in my third game and I lost the first one in the first 12 turns.

I would second the recommendation for CBM (Community Balance Mod) or another mod set such as the AwesomeMods. Mostly they add more fun things and generally help make more stuff viable.

I'm not so sure on the mods front simply because a lot of strategy you can pick up from LPs that actually go into the details of such suddenly ceases to apply. Summons, gem economies, hammers, boosters and even basic troops all change significantly. Unfortunately the only in-depth LPs that go into the modded game tend to be of mixed quality and assume a certain amount of knowledge of the game or that the reader is uninterested in the mechanics or economy behind decisions. This is why the Mrs Buttersworth Arco LP is so good, even though there are huge multi-perspective ones out there.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

That's a fair point, I am fine either way, it's not like I ever used gem gens in the past games I've played with them in anyways.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    For a complete newbie game which seems to be the gist I'd advise going vanilla, I'd also recommend allowing forums posts for questions about thing in general rather then just in game so the newer ones aren't at a disadavantage
    Waraura

Am I too late to get in on this? I just recently got the game and am a complete noob but would like to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Prester John View Post
    So the game came out on Desura and i finally picked it up. I'd love to get a game started so if you're interested post below and we'll sort something out.

Not having played before suggestions welcome.

So far i'm thinking:

5-6 players.
    Hosted on Llamanet.
    Vanilla ruleset.
    No Age preference.
    Small / Medium Map ?
    Beginners / Intermediate

Activated Node
    So cool to see this game taking off!

Just wanted to labour the point (so sorry) in favour of CBM. From what ive read Vanilla D3 wasnt really balanced for multiplayer, so its much easier for a new player to make really fatal mistakes. Apparently if you are not making clams every turn you are you are going to lose.

CBM is a multiplayer balance mod, rather than a content mod. Only major changes to content are with some of the pretenders and heroes (some nations had terrible heros, some pretenders were not sensibly costed) Its alot more fun to get a hero you can actually use!

Otherwise its a lot of tweaks and balances for various nations, designed to make whats fun about the game work better, but what works in vanilla as a rule works in CBM. e.g. There are still other ways of making gems still in the game.

It increases the range of viable nations players can use, and lessons the chance that a new player is going to be wiped out because the picked a totally rubbish nation. In vanilla some of them are just laughably bad and any right thinking player would only use 3/4.

Given that most of current Dom3 games are played with CBM, it would seem preferable also to be learning the version of the game that is being currently played most often, rather than vanilla (which could be kinda unfair) first, then CBM again later.

Anywho, sorry to be all up in your grilz and such. Just wanted to make the case, and totally not going to go on about it anymore.

I pick Helhiem either way.
    Last edited by zakalwe; 30-12-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: oddly bolded

Quote Originally Posted by zakalwe View Post
    So cool to see this game taking off!

Just wanted to labour the point (so sorry) in favour of CBM. From what ive read Vanilla D3 wasnt really balanced for multiplayer, so its much easier for a new player to make really fatal mistakes. Apparently if you are not making clams every turn you are you are going to lose.

CBM is a multiplayer balance mod, rather than a content mod. Only major changes to content are with some of the pretenders and heroes (some nations had terrible heros, some pretenders were not sensibly costed) Its alot more fun to get a hero you can actually use!

Otherwise its a lot of tweaks and balances for various nations, designed to make whats fun about the game work better, but what works in vanilla as a rule works in CBM. e.g. There are still other ways of making gems still in the game.

It increases the range of viable nations players can use, and lessons the chance that a new player is going to be wiped out because the picked a totally rubbish nation. In vanilla some of them are just laughably bad and any right thinking player would only use 3/4.

Given that most of current Dom3 games are played with CBM, it would seem preferable also to be learning the version of the game that is being currently played most often, rather than vanilla (which could be kinda unfair) first, then CBM again later.

Anywho, sorry to be all up in your grilz and such. Just wanted to make the case, and totally not going to go on about it anymore.

I pick Helhiem either way.
    I'll go with the majoritory on this....

Looks like we have 9 players which should be manageable.

I like the look of the CBM mod but for the first game(s) my preference is for vanilla just to see what i like and discover the game... So no mods for this one...

I also suggest EA game so get in your country preference below and i'll work out the hosting and game set up. If anyone has suggestions about maps that would be helpful but i'l be looking around to get an idea what will work.

------
    prester john - Neifelheim
    Kaira
    Jolima
    Zakalwe - Helheim
    GSU
    riadsala
    Sarigs
    lasikbear
    Nullkigan
    ------
    Last edited by Prester John; 31-12-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: add chosen nations

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hm Vanilla is not that bad at all, thinks like the clams are for advanced late game tactics likewise with the nations all of them can be used effectively some are stronger but you need to be a advanced player to really take advantage of the same.

I'd vote for Vanilla personally for a newbie game. Main reason I'd give is for a first game people are likely going to want to reference wikas and guides etc. Doing that and then finding the thing you trying to build towards/stratigising around doesn't work before it's been moved into a different research tree, different research level or removed entirely is going to throw people off alot more then a vet player tricking his way into the game and taking advantage of beginners mistakes. (And we all already know that out of the 9 players their either complete beginning or have played at most 4 on-going MPs (I think that would be me)

But like Prester says I'm happy to go with everyone else's decision I just think it will be counter-productive for a introductory game. I would also highly recommend that once you've picked a nation you run a quick single player game with them using you intended pretender so you've got a general idea of how they work (Like whether your gold or resource intensive) and can plan your scales/magic paths accordingly
    Waraura

Definitely run as many practice games as you can. The first year is really important (to make sure you have an expansion plan that works) and there is a lot that needs to be accounted for. You should ideally be aiming for a second fort finished and a third started by the end of the first 12-15 turns, as well as one province per turn average (or at least know if nothing goes wrong you can manage that).

Besides that you ought to have general goals for midgame and late game you are aiming for and a sense of how to achieve them. These will then be ignored when you are being rushed by horrible frozen giants in turn 6 but its nice to look at your plans and think "damn, I really woulda been someone if those giants had never banished me to Tartarus". So it's also good to have a plan to deal with your more dangerous neighbors in case of early wars.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Balls, missed this thread, are you full up?
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Balls, missed this thread, are you full up?
    We can put you in as first reserve?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prester John View Post
    We can put you in as first reserve?
    Works for me, cheers!
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter