Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Cap generates 3 checks, temple 1, pretender 2, prophet 1. So if he rolled really well with an awake pretender, or had high dominion (thus likely to roll well) it's like ~5 vs 2 average. Negligible actual difference, significant percentage difference.

That sounds too low, so there's probably more checks in the first few turns to get you started. To the Wiki?!

Also remember that intel reports are off by up to 50% for most nations at the moment. If you see 10 troops in the next province it could be 20! Or if you see 300 it could be 150. Stealthy troops, certain dominions, scouts and spies all have effects on this in one way or another.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Obscure Node
    Hey guys, just thought I'd rudely interupt you all to say that if any players are currently looking for a game, then right now I'm organsing two newbie games over on the official Desura forum. Please feel free to check them out, and sign up if you're interested in playing (oh and blame Prester John for me coming here and annoying you all, as he tipped me off about this game )

http://www.desura.com/games/dominion...wakening/forum

Just read over this thread, so thought I'd answer/point out a few things while I'm here. (one of my bad habits )
    Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    Cap generates 3 checks, temple 1, pretender 2, prophet 1. So if he rolled really well with an awake pretender, or had high dominion (thus likely to roll well) it's like ~5 vs 2 average. Negligible actual difference, significant percentage difference.

That sounds too low, so there's probably more checks in the first few turns to get you started. To the Wiki?!
    The number of temples checks generated by various things is as follows. I think this is the complete list, but it's off the top of my head so I might have missed something. The strength of these temple checks is based on your starting dominion score, and does not increase by +1 for every 5 temples you build as the manual says. (This is one of the things the manual gets wrong)

Home Province - 2
    Temple - 1
    Prophet - 1
    Pretender - 1 (but always at a dom strength 10. ie. It always generates a successful temple check regardless of your starting dominion score)
    VP - 1 (but always at a dom strength of 5, regardless of your starting dominion score)
    Blood sacrifice - 2 per slave
    Juggernauts - 1

There is no extra dominion produced in the early turns to help get you started. The game isn't that generous The only thing in the game in that regard is that some random events are locked until a few turns have passed. So you can't get a barbarian attack on turn 2 for example (it unlocks on turn 5 IIRC). You can get a vampire count attack though. (as I said, Dominions3 is not a generous game)

Two nations being played using the same CD-key, and running into a CD-violation error is WAD. As it helps prevent one person abusing MP games by pretending to be two different players, and thereby getting an unfair advantage by playing more than one nation in one game (yes, such players do exists, and Dominions has had a fair share of cheats over the years who have done this, and worse).

The map you are using is the "good" version of the Plane of Rusty Nails for 9 land nations. There is another version on the llamaserver called "Plane of Rusty Nails - 9 fixed starts", which has a poor and unbalanced set of starting locations. Your map is called "Plane of Rusty Nails - 9 fixed land starts", which is the good version done by my friend Valerius. (and I'm pretty sure he used version 1.4 of the map, or at least I see no reason why he'd base his map on an older bugged version)

The CBM vs Vanilla discussion thread that was linked to is very out-of-date now, as CBM has gone through a few evolutions since then (think that thread happened around the time of 1.5/1.6). CBM is still a very fine mod though, and still by far the premier mod that is used in games by several Dominion communities. So one thing you can count on is that it is quaility assured. But some of the CBM vs Vanilla arguments are not as valid as they were before. That is to say recent CBM's make a lot of significant changes to the game compared to vanilla. Whereas older versions of CBM, while still making a lot of changes compared to vanilla, it made very few (if any) changes that could be classed as "significant". And each significant change tends to take the game further and further away from vanilla (than multiple smaller changes and fine-tuning tweaks ever do).

If anyone has any questions then please feel free to drop by the official forum and ask them, and if I can't answer them myself (rare), then I'm sure someone else there will be able to pick up my slack (or ask on Dom3mods). You can ask them on this thread as well, but I can't guarantee I'll check this thread as often as I check Desura (or my other home, Dom3mods), so you might be waiting a while for an answer (from me).

Apologies again for the sudden interuption. Hope you all enjoy the game
    Calahan

Obscure Node
    Hey guys, just thought I'd rudely interupt you all to say that if any players are currently looking for a game, then right now I'm organising two newbie games over on the official Desura forum. Please feel free to check them out, and sign up if you're interested in playing (oh and blame Prester John for me coming here and annoying you all, as he tipped me off about this game )

http://www.desura.com/games/dominion...wakening/forum

Just read over this thread, so thought I'd answer/point out a few things while I'm here. (one of my bad habits )

The number of temples checks generated by various things is as follows. I think this is the complete list, but it's off the top of my head so I might have missed something. The strength of these temple checks is based on your starting dominion score, and does not increase by +1 for every 5 temples you build as the manual says. (This is one of the things the manual gets wrong)

Home Province - 2
    Temple - 1
    Prophet - 1
    Pretender - 1 (but always at a dom strength 10. ie. It always generates a successful temple check regardless of your starting dominion score)
    VP - 1 (but always at a dom strength of 5, regardless of your starting dominion score)
    Juggernauts - 1

There is no extra dominion produced in the early turns to help get you started. The game isn't that generous The only thing in the game in that regard is that some random events are locked until a few turns have passed. So you can't get a barbarian attack on turn 2 for example (it unlocks on turn 5 IIRC). You can get a vampire count attack though. (as I said, Dominions3 is not a generous game)

Two nations being played using the same CD-key, and running into a CD-violation error is WAD. As it helps prevent one person abusing MP games by pretending to be two different players, and thereby getting an unfair advantage by playing more than one nation in one game (yes, such players do exist, and Dominions has had a fair share of cheats over the years who have done this, and worse).

The map you are using is the "good" version of the Plane of Rusty Nails for 9 land nations. There is another version on the llamaserver called "Plane of Rusty Nails - 9 fixed starts", which has a poor and unbalanced set of starting locations. Your map is called "Plane of Rusty Nails - 9 fixed land starts", which is the good version done by my friend Valerius. (and I'm pretty sure he used version 1.4 of the map, or at least I see no reason why he'd base his map on an older bugged version)

The CBM vs Vanilla discussion thread that was linked to is very out-of-date now, as CBM has gone through a few evolutions since then (think that thread happened around the time of 1.5/1.6). CBM is still a very fine mod though, and still by far the premier mod that is used in games by several Dominion communities. So one thing you can count on is that it is quaility assured. But some of the CBM vs Vanilla arguments are not as valid as they were before. That is to say recent CBM's make a lot of significant changes to the game compared to vanilla. Whereas older versions of CBM, while still making a lot of changes compared to vanilla, it made very few (if any) changes that could be classed as "significant". And each significant change tends to take the game further and further away from vanilla (than multiple smaller changes and fine-tuning tweaks ever do).

If anyone has any questions then please feel free to drop by the official forum and ask them, and if I can't answer them myself (rare), then I'm sure someone else there will be able to pick up my slack (or ask on Dom3mods). You can ask them on this thread as well, but I can't guarantee I'll check this thread as often as I check Desura (or my other home, Dom3mods), so you might be waiting a while for an answer (from me).

Calahan
    Last edited by Calahan; 05-01-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Obscure Node

Home Province - 2
    Temple - 1
    Prophet - 1
    Juggernauts - 1

Two nations being played using the same CD-key, and running into a CD-violation error is WAD. As it helps prevent one person abusing MP games by pretending to be two different players, and thereby getting an unfair advantage by playing more than one nation in one game (yes, such players do exists, and Dominions has had a fair share of cheats over the years who have done this, and worse).

If anyone has any questions then please feel free to drop by the official forum and ask them, and if I can't answer them myself (rare), then I'm sure someone else there will be able to pick up my slack (or ask on Dom3mods). You can ask them on this thread as well, but I can't guarantee I'll check this thread as often as I check Desura (or my other home, Dom3mods), so you might be waiting a while for an answer.

Calahan

I was pulling the numbers on checks out of distant memory, so at least I wasn't hugely out. You can certainly push dominion into neighbouring provinces immediately which is why I thought it seemed low. I now recall that the formula for pushing out dominion does encourage this, otherwise Dom10 would basically fill up your cap and do nothing else.

Other ways to check for awake pretenders is to look at: turn 1 expansion, turn 1 research (though some nations get t0 researchers!), the pretender names and epithets (something Forbidden Friendship / AwesomeGods does which is awesome is reduce the number of those) and the type of nation.

There are basically no chasses where blind T1 expansion is perfectly safe, but there are a whole bunch tough enough to take on 90% of provinces.

Early rainbow mages for sitesearching and forging are otherwise useless on T1 so tend to research, which given the number of paths/picks will be very obvious on a research graph. Awake combat mage pretenders is not something I've ever heard of, simply because it takes a while for Evocation to make a difference and you can thus get bonus points from dormancy.

Mictlan will almost never have an awake pretender as they want the bless instead, which means high paths which means dormant/imprisoned usually. Marverni and the monkey nations tend to be very weak early game so they often get SCs, either as expansion tools or to dissuade early rushes.

The pretender epithets can tell you a hell of a lot about paths, scales and dormancy. Some of them are very obvious (defender of the forest is several points in nature magic for example), but others are spread across multiple paths and scales. I don't think they've ever been fully decoded, and thus if you end up writing up a game it makes for a good long theorycrafting post. In newbie games you can often check Baalz guides for possible epithet matches; they'll tell you a lot about the other person's likely strategy if you find a match. On the other hand some of those guides are woefully optimistic (spam barechests as Marverni? realllllly?), non-competetive or out of date.

I'd like to ask a question beforehand: I'll be off due to work-related things from next Wednesday until sometime of next Friday. So, I guess I need someone to play my turn for me, but how does that happen in practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    I'd like to ask a question beforehand: I'll be off due to work-related things from next Wednesday until sometime of next Friday. So, I guess I need someone to play my turn for me, but how does that happen in practice?
    I've set the game to have a 4 day cycle (this can be changed) so if you get a turn in on the Tuesday/Wednesday you should be fine for the Friday.

As a second option i can postpone the turn until you get back.

If its a longer break and you want someone else to sub for you for a turn or two i can set the game to send your sub the turns but i'll need emails obviously!

A final option is that the turn gets missed.

views?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Personally, I'd like prefer a weekly cycle. Sure, I could log on and take my turn just now, but I'd really rather find time to read up on some stuff first, and work out what a good strategy is. As opposed to just clicking on things randomly!

Trying to work out if I'm currently strong enough to take on any nearby provinces. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    Personally, I'd like prefer a weekly cycle. Sure, I could log on and take my turn just now, but I'd really rather find time to read up on some stuff first, and work out what a good strategy is. As opposed to just clicking on things randomly!

Trying to work out if I'm currently strong enough to take on any nearby provinces. Hmm.
    Turn cycles ! My concern with setting it to weekly is that people tend to plan to the timescale given and something comes up so they can't complete and the game gets delayed into a second week.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Prester John View Post
    Turn cycles ! My concern with setting it to weekly is that people tend to plan to the timescale given and something comes up so they can't complete and the game gets delayed into a second week.
    I should add: a preference for weekly, and only postponing the turn if the person has a really good excuse/gives advance notice the week before.

But sure, i can live with 4 days.

Now, to ponder what I should do this turn. Guess I should try some single player experiments. I hear the eagles aren't all that tough, and I don't want to die horribly on turn 2!

Activated Node
    This turn was a bit more exciting! From the hall of fame looks like arco has some kind of awake thug or SC pretender?

Given that its so early in the game and I tend to want to play the turns faster I would be in favour of the system that Calahan uses, with 48 hour hosting for turns until about 12- 15. I dont mind turns taking longer after that, as at least the game has got started a bit.

Don't want people to miss turns though. Just like to see the game kick started a bit then happy for it to take longer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Everyone's all up in my face with the speculation! It's making me feel paranoid.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Everyone's all up in my face with the speculation! It's making me feel paranoid.
    Ha! Sorry man, just got bored waiting for people to submit and started looking at the score graphs.

Well he(she?) is in the hall of fame as well (pretenders are listed as "God of Nation") so it's not so secret =D

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Woooo, I'm not the last person to submit the turn this time!

Can you clarify the diplomacy rules? From what it sounds like either use ingame or post NAP related stuff publicly in this thread?

What about for trading or border agreements? I am fine with ingame border stuff, but trading is tedious enough without having to spend 5 or 6 turns haggling and using the forums should hopefully avoid any miscommunication.

I think you can do any kind of diplomacy in this thread, and whatever deal you make will be binding. The NAP stuff was just some examples and clarification to what "binding" should mean if nothing else is specified.

I assume it's well early for anyone to actually have them yet, but I may as well go ahead to ask anyone who gets a spare dwarven hammer to drop me a line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolima View Post
    I think you can do any kind of diplomacy in this thread, and whatever deal you make will be binding. The NAP stuff was just some examples and clarification to what "binding" should mean if nothing else is specified.

I assume it's well early for anyone to actually have them yet, but I may as well go ahead to ask anyone who gets a spare dwarven hammer to drop me a line.
    It's a unique artifact in CBM, I think.

Ah, so it seems. Well that makes me worry a bit less about my lack of earth access since that seems to be the one truly must have item in core.

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    Can you clarify the diplomacy rules? From what it sounds like either use ingame or post NAP related stuff publicly in this thread?

What about for trading or border agreements? I am fine with ingame border stuff, but trading is tedious enough without having to spend 5 or 6 turns haggling and using the forums should hopefully avoid any miscommunication.
    Yes forums can be used for any form of diplomacy etc, the NAP was as Jolima said just by way of an example.. but whatever you agree on forum is binding!

Game seems to be rolling along at a decent place... anyone met yet?!