Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 77 of 77
  1. #61
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    It's not perfect but personally I never noticed any large mistakes, did you? OTOH I had in-game timers reporting largely underestimated playtimes, probably because they are tied to a single save.

    There were cases of people reporting exceedingly short times (Portal 2?), but on average I suppose they are balanced by those forgetting (or purposefully leaving) games/launchers running in the background.
    I've definitely had play sessions it outright didn't record, that's for sure.

    Also, if a game closes wrong/crashes on exit, Steam will sometimes continue to count it as running. I once discovered I'd been "playing" New Vegas for 24 hours straight as a result of that!

  2. #62
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    It's not perfect but personally I never noticed any large mistakes, did you? OTOH I had in-game timers reporting largely underestimated playtimes, probably because they are tied to a single save.
    Steam claims 58 minutes of New Vegas and 1 minute of Fallout 3. Now, I did play them in offline mode quite a lot, but still.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  3. #63
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Also, if a game closes wrong/crashes on exit, Steam will sometimes continue to count it as running.
    Probably going to sound as a fanboy, but it's hardly steam's fault if the game crashed leaving a zombie behind. I never had any occurences of it losing time, so I can't comment on that part.

    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Steam claims 58 minutes of New Vegas and 1 minute of Fallout 3. Now, I did play them in offline mode quite a lot, but still.
    There you have your answer. It still boggles my mind that it needs to be online to record time, they could record the data and sync it at a later time whenever a connection becomes available. Then again with all the limitations the steam client still has, maybe it's just too much too ask :|
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  4. #64
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    There you have your answer. It still boggles my mind that it needs to be online to record time, they could record the data and sync it at a later time whenever a connection becomes available. Then again with all the limitations the steam client still has, maybe it's just too much too ask :|
    I definitely played online for more than 1 minute though. Perhaps no more than a dozen hours, but still rather more than 1 minute.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  5. #65
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,075
    Problem is, if your connection is spotty or goes away, there's a chance your time won't be logged just as if you were in offline mode. That's how I lost the only couple hours of FTL I'm missing.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  6. #66
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Probably going to sound as a fanboy, but it's hardly steam's fault if the game crashed leaving a zombie behind. I never had any occurences of it losing time, so I can't comment on that part.
    I'm not really interested in assigning blame, my point was simply that the count was unreliable.

  7. #67
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    49
    Most of my gaming hours were spent well before I started using Steam. The main culprits there would have been in no particular order EU2, Victoria, Civ2 & 4, a host of CM/FM games and of course RTCW:ET.

    Currently topping the Steam hours:
    (FM2011 - 1424 h)
    BFBC2 - 990 h
    (FM2012 - 965 h)
    M&B WB - 320 h
    Civ5 - 197 h
    Skyrim - 168 h

    Football Manager hours are not really relevant as the game might be open for 4 days straight while the active playing time there might be only a few hours. Of the Steam games, only Civ5 is still racking up more hours. I was actually surprised about the Warband and Skyrim hours though.

    Also, judging by other's statistics it seems I've dodged a bullet or six by keeping away from MMOs. Time's scarce as it is.

  8. #68
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,075
    It is unreliable, but your hard disk, car, tablet are too. They're just reliable enough that you expect them to work every single time, and when they don't ...it stands out. Steam is usually reliable enough for a digital service that we feel the same way.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  9. #69
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    It is unreliable, but your hard disk, car, tablet are too. They're just reliable enough that you expect them to work every single time, and when they don't ...it stands out. Steam is usually reliable enough for a digital service that we feel the same way.
    I think we're talking past each other on this one. I'm not trying to make some broad statement about Steam/Valve, I'm not criticizing anyone, I'm only saying that Steam "time played" numbers are not a good source to use when determining what games have eaten up the greatest amount of your time.

  10. #70
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,075
    HLTB has a timer thingy that's supposed to help you keep track, but I'm never mindful enough to start and stop it when I'm playing a non-steam game. The convenience of Steam doing all automatically IMO greatly outweighs the chance of it getting wrong occasionally - I do have a fairly stable internet connection though.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  11. #71
    Obscure Node dancanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    12
    Arma 2: CO - 795.8 hrs. No I don't play DayZ, that's Warfare BE. Yes, I'll show myself out....
    BF:BC2: 359.6 hrs
    Men of War: assault squad: 128 hrs
    New Vegas: 116 hrs
    Skyrim: 100.4 hrs

  12. #72
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    HLTB has a timer thingy that's supposed to help you keep track, but I'm never mindful enough to start and stop it when I'm playing a non-steam game. The convenience of Steam doing all automatically IMO greatly outweighs the chance of it getting wrong occasionally - I do have a fairly stable internet connection though.
    Yup, the Steam counter is a nice tool. It can't tell you what game you've played the most, though, if you've been playing games since prior to 2010. :)

  13. #73
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    1,231
    Steam's time tracking is really inaccurate, but my old xfire profile shows the sort of ratio I've put into games I guess. Haven't used it in like 5 years, but eh:

    World of warcraft, 1332 hours
    Counter strike: source, 484 hours (steam still only thinks I've played 142 hours of it)
    Jedi Knight 2 multiplayer, 247 hours
    Eve online, 247 hours
    Half life 2 deathmatch, 113 hours
    Supreme commander: forged alliance, 73 hours (played more than that last month lol)
    solitaire, 56 hours
    wolfenstein: enemy territory, 54 hours

    Every single one of those I've played a lot more than reported, even when I was using xfire I'd hazard a guess it was only open 1/3 of my gaming time.
    mickygor, Battlefield 3
    Otmer, League of Legends EUW
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC

  14. #74
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Yup, the Steam counter is a nice tool. It can't tell you what game you've played the most, though, if you've been playing games since prior to 2010. :)
    I'm afraid the past can't be changed ...yet :P
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  15. #75
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,520
    So this is one pro for Steam, to precisely record gameplay hours for a title.

    Me, I played 171 hours Bad Company 2 online (disregard 6 to 10 hours something on the stupid campaign, I finished it out of the server outage periods). Not as impressive as you guys but I played in cybercafes, that's why. Yet I bought a legit copy myself and installed it in my own desktop, where I finished the campaign (and I start to wonder if I am stupid to do so for me not being able to play it online at home with my unreliable Internet connection).

  16. #76
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Really? what the hell is there to do in 350 hours? One playthrough is 28-34 hours. you beat the game 10 times?
    Only telling you what Steam tells me. I don't play a lot of games, but when I do, I play the hell out of them. Interesting side note, about 3/4 of those hours were not complete play-throughs.

    I've also logged a similar number of hours on TF2, but I've been playing that one off and on for the past 5 years.
    Last edited by dspimoni; 02-01-2013 at 07:12 PM.

  17. #77
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,474
    All I know, that I have arround 120 h clocked on Tribes: Ascend and over 240h in Guild Wars 2. I can rely on the information the game gives me unlike steam.
    Other games I can only speculate at the moment actually. Probably most played for me would be between CoD4 and AvP2, these games I probably spent near 500h and only maybe matched by F.E.A.R. Combat from back in the day.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •