Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

mount and blade - which bits to get?

I'm tempted by the mount & blade pack on steam. But getting original + warband seems a little redundant to me? Not really interested in the napoleonic dlc so was thinking just getting warband and fire&sword.
    Sound sensible, or would I be missing something by skipping original?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Not really,Warband is improved version of original,also some really good mods for it(For example AD 1257).

Never tried Fire & Sword :/

Activated Node
    Yeah, you don't really need the original if you get Warband. Also, get Prophesy of Pendor when you're up to the task; it's an awesome really extensive mod that improves upon the base game in lots of ways. It does make it harder though.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Not really,Warband is improved version of original,also some really good mods for it(For example AD 1257).

Never tried Fire & Sword :/
    Cool. Though that might be the case.
    I've heard Fire & Sword can be little wonky due to how firearms implemented, but for the price seems well worth it for variety.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I would check to make sure there aren't any unported mods you really want to play (last I saw, most of the good ones migrated to warband or started in warband), but otherwise don't bother with the original.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiatil View Post
    It does make it harder though.
    I may wait a while for that then. Last time tried Mount & Blade demo I spent 30 minutes in training section trying without sucess to hit something with a lance. I suspect there was something obvious I was overlooking (or I really suck at it.)

You'd be missing a less interesting map and the ability to play a few mods (I liked 1866), but that's about it.

With Fire & Sword is an oddball, and your enjoyment of it isn't necessarily guaranteed even if you love Warband. Neither the setting nor the introduction of firearms fit comfortably into the Mount & Blade mold. I like it, but partly as a curio. Multiplayer is also pretty fun.

I bought the collection last year for myself and my girlfriend and the one we ended up playing most was With Fire and Sword by a long shot. It had the best dynamic to us. Napoleonic Wars was a bit TOO reliant on guns and Warband just didn't have guns.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I have yet to really sit down with Fire and Sword, but look into one of the gun mods for Warband. They are obscenely powerful but are balanced out by long reloads. And the better mods keep them rare enough that only one or two people in a size 80 army might have them. Of course, those one or two people will probably wreck the entire other army :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Fire & Sword is a pretty hit or miss game from what I've heard, but most everyone likes Warband so I would definitely hit that.

Fire & Sword is a standalone based on the vanilla m&b, so it lacks the engine upgrades of warband. In other words, it's damn ugly. I kind'a preferred the vanilla map over warband, but yeah, go for warband.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I hated Fire & Sword. The guns, while balanced are just too annoying. They're extremely powerful and extremely hard to aim. However, if a peasant farmer with a pistol gets a shot on you and hits you, which can and will happen you'll pretty much lose straight away.

The worst thing about that is your army acts like complete retards without you to command them and your 100 knights will get the crap beat out of them by a couple of savage bandits with rocks and big sticks.

Warband is the best one in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    -snip-
    Personally, I was talking about the online multiplayer.

Obscure Node
    I wasn't a fan of Fire & Sword, really didn't enjoy it. I've played and love both the original and Warband; and really the only reason to get the original for me is for The Last Days LOTR mod, but that just went open source so I'm hoping someone will port it to Warband.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Didn't enjoy Fire and Sword, the game world just isn't very interesting. Warband meanwhile is awesome, get it. I'd probably recommend the original only for The Last Days like Qazwsk suggested, or for any other mods that haven't been ported. Otherwise Warband is the original plus even more awesome, which shouldn't be possible.

Just Warband.

As much as I think Taleworlds deserve more monies and popularity for making such awesome melee combat system, I wouldn't recommend buying Fire and Sword or Napoleonic Wars. There are free mods for Warband which are much more polished and fun.

Just adding my voice to the choir: Warband is all you need. There is zero reason to play the original M&B instead of Warband, and Fire & Sword is, well, rather awful thing with the inferior engine, graphics, setting, and overall production values and professional feel compared to Warband.

Napoleonic Wars is a MP-only title, it can be fun in the hilarious sense of the word (it has bagpipers as a playable class!) and I've enjoyed it, but it has no long-standing appeal.

Also, the #1 mod for Warband is Floris modpack. The download is IIRC bigger than the base game itself, and yet it keeps the setting and feel of the original and expands on that in a very pleasing manner.

Warband + Floris is probably my Game Of The Millennium so far.

Warband.
    Mod: Prophecy of Pendor,light Fantasy Setting with Demonic Armies ,Magic weapons etc.

Also try setting the Realism to 100%, makes Battles more thrilling & skillful as you dont get the obscene Hp Buffs.
    Great Search Engine for Game bargains:
    http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Also, the #1 mod for Warband is Floris modpack. The download is IIRC bigger than the base game itself, and yet it keeps the setting and feel of the original and expands on that in a very pleasing manner.
    Holy crap that's awesome, I'm gonna be a Viking pirate lord.