Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Why does Counter Strike suck so much now?

I wanted to play 1.6 because it is the game I used to love and the server browser says so many servers are full and yet when I try to join a server even though the info says they have people, I join and they're empty. Like wtf is going on? happened 6 servers in a row and I've just given up. Another bad thing is most have mods you have to download or aren't the original version, why isn't there a filter? Valve have just let the game die. Counter Strike doesn't have like 60,000 concurrent players at all, I bet it just counts all these lying bastard servers that say they have 30/32 players when they don't.

Source sucks, always has done, it's a game for noobs.

CS:GO I'm sat there waiting for ages to find a competitive game, the menu option for it is so hidden I'm not surprised why no one plays it. That was the best thing about CS:GO, being able to easily have 5 v 5 competitive games and now that mode is dead thanx to Valve. Their menu design is so shit these days, I mean that new video settings menu is so bad, you cannot tell what is the highest setting until you scroll round on each one... who designed it like that? Just have far left and far right or the old drop down boxes ffs! I didn't really wanna play the game anyways If I'm honest, the new maps are shit, the new mods are shit mods I used to hate for the original and there is a dumb graphics filter you cannot turn off and too much fog and annoying tracers.

What have Valve done to the series? It is a mess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    While it's fair to criticize the new outings in whatever way suits your fancy, blaming valve for just letting a twelve year old game die is a bit much. Valve is one of the better companies in the industry when it comes to supporting multiplayer games for a long period of time and they simply don't have control over the evolution of the game when it comes to users prefering mods and variants. The misreported server populations seems like a huge problem though. I've encountered that in a number of older games--probably comes from lower moderation and users having had so much time to crack server safeguards. And if you want people to join an empty server, the best way is to tell them it's not empty! Unless of course every other empty server does that .... BF2 has a lot of these servers in my experience. It's a shame.

But communities change. A large number of players get bored of playing the same game indefinitely. They end up trying new things, making mods, changing the rules, exploiting bugs or leaving the game. It happens, and it's unrealistic to blame Valve for it.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Network Hub
    They support their games, Counter Strike still sells, surely they could update the server browser? Not much to ask, especially when CS:GO and CS:S turned out to be so bad, though the horrible Source engine is to blame for a lot of it, never have a good netcode. The only reason CS 1.6 probably turned out to be so good is it's based on the Quake 2 engine and John Carmack engines always seem to have an amazing netcode.

I finally got into as game but was kicked because apparently you have to be a forum member to a certain site? Thought forget it and uninstalled, not worth fighting to try and play the game lol. Such a shame.

I don't know. It sounds like more of a community issue than a server browser issue. If people are hacking false numbers into the browser, forming exclusive servers dependent on forum membership, playing mods and variants etc .... the game sounds to be dying with or without any additional technical support from Valve. I doubt it would be easy for them to fix much of what you're describing ... and even if they could, they have newer games with higher server populations that demand their attention. 12 years is a long time in this industry. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is.

Personally I liked CS:Source. 1.6 felt more floaty. It felt faster without feeling either more precise or more arcade-like. I don't remember having an unusual number of network related issues on CS:Source, but perhaps I just never turned up the graphics settings high enough, had an unusually stable internet connection or wasn't good at the game enough to notice. What did you like about 1.6 over CS:Source other than it being, in your words, for n00bs--a rather uninteresting and uninformative criticism.

P.S. Additionally, if only one game in the series is any good, it's hardly the series that's been brutalized by the company--the "good" series never even existed in your estimation. Just a good game with a bunch of crappy and uninteresting sequels. There's no long-running brand quality to be squandered by the series. It's a shame that good game is dying for you, though.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 31-12-2012 at 06:23 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    What have Valve done to CS?

They adopted it.

Sorry you missed the boat.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    In CS:GO people complained that folks were leaving competitive matches. So they patched in a function where you would be locked out of playing if you disconnected too often. Turning what had been a fun way to spend downtime into a high time cost mode.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    ...though the horrible Source engine is to blame for a lot of it, never have a good netcode.
    Left 4 Dead 1/2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal 2 seem fine to me :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Ice-Fyre View Post
    Portal 2 seemed a bit dodgy in the network department to me ... but my co-op buddy was using the Mac version so perhaps it was a more platform (or cross-platform) specific issue.

But I haven't had any other problems getting the Source engine online.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    Source sucks, always has done, it's a game for noobs.
    Source was better. *sage nod*
    It had moar polygons, but ALSO moar fun.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Banned
    Wait - CS was ever good?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice-Fyre View Post
    How many times I've died once I've already run round a corner because to the server my hitbox is back 2m. Happens with DICE games too, god they have horrible hit detection and Planetside 2 especially.

Weird cause games like Quake 3 or UT never had that issue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Wait - CS was ever good?

Should this be surprising for all of us here ? I don't hink so..and yes Counter Strike 1.5/6 was GOOD,source was decent,all others are medicore.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    1.5 ruled, 1.6 was significantly dumbed down (much reduced spread and a bunch of other annoying shit), but it's still a jesusgame compared to source and all the modern trash sold today.

1.6 isn't dead what are you smoking op. Sounds like someone got knocked over the head with too much matchmaking and forgot how to use a server browser.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    You can't blame the developer on the community. It's not Valves fault that people are playing the game in ways you don't like.

What are you talking about? It has always sucked from the beginning!
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Man, you guys are more negative than the steam forums in here. Well okay no that's not even physically possible, but the "1.6 rulez everything else sucks" spiel has gotten real old at this stage. It was old when people said during the era of source when they actually had some good points, but it makes far less sense now since GO has shaped up into a proper good game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outright Villainy View Post
    Man, you guys are more negative than the steam forums in here. Well okay no that's not even physically possible, but the "1.6 rulez everything else sucks" spiel has gotten real old at this stage. It was old when people said during the era of source when they actually had some good points, but it makes far less sense now since GO has shaped up into a proper good game.
    It's TixyLixx and Mohorovicic. They haven't been positive about anything since ever.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Team Fortress 2, and to a certain extent all Source multiplayer games, suffers from slightly odd hitboxes. It's not very noticeable though, unless you're playing competitively, in which case you've probably got so much experience in the game that you're used to them anyway.

What seems to annoy far more people and what TixyLixx is complaining about in his post is the lag compensation of the Source engine. Basically the server automatically adjusts to your latency, so if it looks as if you hit another player from your point of view, you will hit him even if the player in question saw himself already save behind cover. The great advantage of this is that players with a high ping aren't inherently worse off than everyone else, but it does lead to those occasional moments where it feels as though you have been shot through a wall.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Sometimes kids will leave flaming sacks of shit on your doorstep. Usually a good idea to shovel it onto the street and go back in your house.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 31-12-2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: removed expired link for threads started by OP

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Wait - CS was ever good?
    It was always Natural Selections stupid but popular brother, what can you do? People like shooting terrahists.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/