Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    No true scotsman would play whatever it is you play, Nalano.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    It was marketed as a game you go ridiculously fast in, look at the trailers it shows the driver avoiding collisions at high speed and all that jazz, whereas GT5 would show the track and the minor details that people like the series. I think Valve knew that CS GO wouldn't be for 1.6 fans and that it exists quite nicely with it, with GO being more newbie friendly. There isn't a whole lot of point trying to remake 1.6 as no-one will accept it because it depends so much on things that so many wouldn't allow any change on.
    Yeah you are right they went heavily for the shaky cam and action angle, they also did pretend they had the whole sim physics going on though which was just a load of crap.

And I also don't think valve went for a proper cs reboot , else they wouldn't have dignified the gungame crap and wouldn't have made it a selling point for GO. (and they would have made some proper new maps instead of those tiny cod sized gungame maps).
    I don't get the point of releasing (another) casual cs though (this is the third one now).
    It's ironic because they got the original mod creator involved when the community balked at the awful gunplay during cs:go beta.

A lot of oldschool fans would have liked an engine update and some new 'official' maps and especially some new weapons while keeping what was good intact likepunishing recoil, uncontrollable spread, extremely low randomness factor compared to every other shooter (this is one of the main things that made cs maintain it's own audience) , heavy emphasis on the walk key, wall'banging' as kids call it these days, plenty of room for skill in throwing physics for grenades and ofc all the community features like rcon , dedis, mods etc. In fact that is what every cs player I know of expected of source and was waiting for when the source engine was first announced. (+ back then people could imagine cool physics based stuff, now everyone knows better).

There is no audience nowadays for a casual cs, nor is there a point. Cod players will stick to cod, and cs players won't touch a game that misses core cs features with a ten foot pole.
    As steam stats show the cs: GO playerbase is collapsing fast (already back down to a third of the peak players compared to 1.6)
    They basically just devalued the brand name of the IP now (again) and rode it into the ground.
    In a year all the new casuals brought in based on the oldschool cs hype/history it piggybacked on will have moved on.
    CS players have already gone back to cs and css , as numbers for both are back to exactly what they were at before GO was released.
    Noone will remember the game in 10 years, but 1.6 will still be in the top 10 on steam every day until something comes along that can offer the same things (low randomness combined with high consistency for me).
    Last edited by Finicky; 03-01-2013 at 05:47 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    You should really stop posting about games you haven't played... if you don't understand what the sound comment means. I'm not going to dignify you by spelling it out. Find our for yourself if you are interested, else stop trolling.
    That whole post is so full of 'I have no idea what I'm talking about' stupidity I don't even know where to begin. Now I know how my mum felt every time she uttered the words 'you'll understand when you are older' when I was a wee lad.

'lowest ping wings netcode' is the most asinine combination of words I've heard all week.
    There is a dutch saying for what I'm feeling now , it's called 'plaatsvervangende schaamte'.

I guess I should feel sorry for you that you play games for all these years and have never been able to appreciate or discover what makes an fps good.
    I guess trying to explain would be like explaining to a 6 year old nephew that he shouldn't eat half a bag of candy 30 mins before bed time.
    They won't listen or understand anyhow. You'll watch them stuff their face in glee as you just shake your head.
    I really wish my English was better, it's hard to express an appropriately large amount of condescension compared to the amount of ignorant stupidity in your last post. I tried, but it isn't enough.
    1) I've played CS, quite a bit. The last time I played CS was back before it was Source.

2) Fuck you. If you're going to talk about how stupid I am, at least mask it or make it witty. I mean, for fuck's sake, these are the cretins I have to work with? Your shit isn't worthy of spitting on, you useless philistine.

3) Sorry I shit on your favorite game.

Oh wait. No I'm not.
    Last edited by Nalano; 03-01-2013 at 06:20 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Well you obviously didn't know what he meant when he brought up the sound (it has nothing to do with nostaliga for the actual sound effects). People have always rationalized away the popularity of 1.6. First it was that people played it because their computers weren't good enough to run CS:S, then that turned into people being afraid of change. The truth, however, is that people still play it because they find it to be a mechanically superior game. The damn thing has never been promoted by Valve and still it sits firmly as the #3 most played game on Steam, #2 before TF2 went F2P. Explain it away all you want, being popular doesn't mean it's good etc., or just acknowledge that maybe people have valid reasons for still liking it. I don't see nostaliga giving Quake Live 50,000+ concurrent players.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Wait - CS was ever good?
    It's basically the gaming equivalent of football. And yes, it is really good. I personally do love the gunplay and how it rewards both tactics (flanking and when to use grenades, as well as the importance of footstep sounds, or not making any footstep sounds by holding down shift at the cost of the other side potentionally fortifying their position) and accurate aiming, and above all else keeping a level head. The continious tradeoff between more bullets and more accurate fire, etc.

It is quite different from the other shooters in the market, in the same way as Starcraft and Age of Empires are quite different from each other, whilst looking the same at first glance.

A lot of oldschool fans would have liked an engine update and some new 'official' maps and especially some new weapons while keeping what was good intact likepunishing recoil, uncontrollable spread, extremely low randomness factor compared to every other shooter (this is one of the main things that made cs maintain it's own audience)
    This is basically what GO is.
    From my understanding, all the guns in 1.6 have pre-set recoil patterns (as do the guns from GO, as it was a requested feature from the 1.6 fans), so spread can actually be controlled - Source had semi-random spray patterns, which is why some people hated it, as it added to the randomness factor. Both 1.6 and source did have some strange kinks in their weapon values that were never ironed out untill 2011 (for source, 1.6 was unchanged).

I think the main problem holding back GO these days is not that it is worse then 1.6 or Source (because it is not, I daresay it is better then both). It's that most people who are interested in CS have 1.6 or source already, and there is not really a reason to buy GO if you already have either game. Which is fair enough, as GO is basically mechanical updates. It hardly offers any new content.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 03-01-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    It's basically the gaming equivalent of football. And yes, it is really good. I personally do love the gunplay and how it rewards both tactics (flanking and when to use grenades, as well as the importance of footstep sounds, or not making any footstep sounds by holding down shift at the cost of the other side potentionally fortifying their position) and accurate aiming, and above all else keeping a level head. The continious tradeoff between more bullets and more accurate fire, etc.
    Which is nothing that other FPS games don't do, and usually better.

Hell, I remember making fun out of my buddy because he actually used the "walk" button in Quake 2 DM because this way he didn't make footsteps sounds. Even Quake 2!

Counter-Strike always seemed like a proto-Call of Duty MP to me. Very fast, very twitchy, instant death gameplay with tiny, fast maps that are very easy to memorize. And camping. Lots and lots of camping. No control points to fight over, no weapon spawns on the level to make strategic decisions or manage territory. Just spawn and go, go, go, GOGOGOGOGOGOGGOGOGOPrime breeding grounds for everything ADD.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I personally do love the gunplay and how it rewards both tactics (camping) and aimbotting, and above all else more camping.
    Fixed. You're welcome.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Counter Strike obviously is not for everyone,i mena we have people who adore Saints Row 3 and new BF badmouthing the CS series and that say allot.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Counter Strike obviously is not for everyone,i mena we have people who adore Saints Row 3 and new BF badmouthing the CS series and that say allot.
    That they think it's more fun drop-kicking people in rabbit costumes than getting insta-killed by someone in the first 6 seconds of a game round that can last 5 minutes?

That does say a lot.

Network Hub
    Your complaints are well over a decade too late. CS had a reputation of campers and cheaters, in 2001. 5 minute roundtime has not been used by anyone for a similar amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrieee View Post
    Your complaints are well over a decade too late. CS had a reputation of campers and cheaters, in 2001. 5 minute roundtime has not been used by anyone for a similar amount of time.
    Hence why...

Attachment 2399

Network Hub
    Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better

Obscure Node
    ITT: Rose tinted glasses, the decline of video gaming and opinions that are different.

I personally liked CSS because I grew up with it.

Obscure Node
    Goddamn, I've hated Counter-Strike since beta 6.5. Do I win?

At that time came the godawful HPB (do people still use that term?) netcode of wall warping bullets, the horribly wide spray patterns - introduced I presume solely to facilitate the new players' insertion at a time where coming across a good player often meant instant death by headshot from across the map - ahhh, how I miss thee P228! - camping existed before this to be sure, but never quite to the same extent.

Counter-Strike 6.2 was a tremendously smooth experience, one that rewarded assault as much as it did camping, where everything felt so damn crisp and lethal, so right - most of all because its recoil patterns and hit detection had this ... Purity about them. I never felt cheated because it all was so certain, so absolute. If I died it always felt as if it was my own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    And "lowest ping wins" netcode. Yay! Let's stay in the 90s forever.
    Got to say, after - what is it, fifteen years of online gaming? I'm still leaning that way. What virtue does lag prediction hold when high speed connections are virtually everywhere?

Only other game I've played to the point of being pretty seriously good is Mount & Blade Warband - while things get dodgy fighting someone's who's ping reaches the triple digits (their animations speed up to compensate - they have a harder time blocking, but then so do you) on equal, sub-50 ping things are terrifically smooth. Heck, the game includes a counter mechanism that involves pulling an opposite strike a fraction of a second before theirs reaches.

I think Warband has some sort of a system where it gives every player below 30 or 40 ping that much 'fake' latency - ensuring noone has any advantage with a very low ping, it works quite well. This is the sort of 'lag compensation' I can go for, give all a set delay - but warping the experience, the REALITY of the game because someone has a much higher ping? No, give me them 90's anyday!

On the subject of Counter-Strike, anyone remember the CLQ?
    Last edited by Farcelet; 03-01-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    'lowest ping wings netcode' is the most asinine combination of words I've heard all week.
    Here it is, my next xkcd style password.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better
    How about I keep telling you that because it's the truth?

Yeah I think that'll work better.

Network Hub
    This is the 21st century, not the 15th when pompous pricks were arbiters of truth. Maybe if you lived back then you could've been both things instead of just one of them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I remember all the CounterStrike aimbotters/wall hax would come into natural selection servers and fail. Because teamwork, strategy and tactical positioning won out over headshots.

I honestly think NS was an evolutionary response to the hacks, both teams are preloaded with their own versions of wall hack(sensory chambers, parasites, scanners) and the game doesn't even have headshots.

"Why is there only 1 gun, this game sucks"
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    1) I've played CS, quite a bit. The last time I played CS was back before it was Source.

2) Fuck you. If you're going to talk about how stupid I am, at least mask it or make it witty. I mean, for fuck's sake, these are the cretins I have to work with? Your shit isn't worthy of spitting on, you useless philistine.

3) Sorry I shit on your favorite game.

Oh wait. No I'm not.
    So instead of defending your own stupidity, you go for patronizing overbearing outrage.
    Typical Nalano. It's a shame you have absolutely nothing better to do than shit up every single thread with your combination of 'random posts with nonsensical anecdotes' and 'faux pretentious look how smart, artiste and elite I am'.

This is the 21st century, not the 15th when pompous pricks were arbiters of truth. Maybe if you lived back then you could've been both things instead of just one of them.
    And maybe if you put even a trivial amount of effort into it, you could be considered even somewhat intelligent.