Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, Build 256/257

It's been out for a few days now. Changelog.

Don't know about anyone else but the input lag from 254/255 is drastically reduced for me. I had to stop playing for a while because it was so bad, but now I can aim again!

Seems to be a slight performance improvement too, although that might be my imagination.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I missed both updates! Been a bit busy so couldnt play today. Any big changes? the 254/255 problems were fixed by changing to Dx11.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

No real big changes, the only balance change is that Gorge tunnels are free now (which allows people to go Rambo Gorge more often).

This one's much more focused on performance and bug-squashing, which was much needed in my opinion. I would be really pleased if UWE focused more on this for the next while rather than adding new features or messing with the balance.

My PC is so old that DX11 isn't even an option sadly, fortunately the DX9 version is behaving again with this update.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Aaah, I like that! Gorge Tunnels are awesome and the much needed counter to phase gates!

Bread?

The games we had yesterday were god fun! The game runs as smoothly as ever again and I think balance is pretty good atm.

@Balmark
    Do think it's a good idea including Tanith in the map rotation? I played on it for the first time yesterday and while I like the unique layout, it is still very unfinished and the long corridors and huge open spaces make it extremely difficult for aliens to get to the marines.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've had some most excellent games myself today, balance seems to be quite alright although I havent tried marines yet.

Bread?

Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    @Balmark
    Do think it's a good idea including Tanith in the map rotation? I played on it for the first time yesterday and while I like the unique layout, it is still very unfinished and the long corridors and huge open spaces make it extremely difficult for aliens to get to the marines.
    I think I had a slight advantage on tanith due to the fact that I have the layout of the map already burned into my memory after years of playing NS1.

Ahh nostalgia.

I do think the map is totally busted for NS2 play though. I noticed yesterday that it is far too easy for marines to sever the cyst chain in the middle of the map. If you guys had held onto cargo it would have been GG right then and there since we would only be able to control a maximum of two harvesters.

Cysts and infestation didn't exist in NS1 so it was never a problem there; I think whovever is developing the map needs to balance it a bit more for NS2.

Network Hub
    Had to remove all custom maps anyhow last release was a bit of a cockup regarding custom maps..

All custom maps, reuse textures and props from the stock maps .. well in last release, a few were deleted making most custom maps fail consistency checks .. until they sort that out, it's vanilla regarding maps

Check out the new command chair btw :P

Airtekh! I was the same, I'd given NS2 a break due to it being a bit depressing trying to kill things .. but it's a bit better now??
    Have spent last while making skyboxes and trying to figure out why my pc reboots whenever the CPU goes idle

Quote Originally Posted by balmark View Post
    until they sort that out, it's vanilla regarding maps
    Oh well, I don't think tanith was ready for primetime anyway. I wish these mapmakers would keep things up to date; I'd just love it if there were a bunch more maps in NS2.

Check out the new command chair btw :P
    What? Did they change something about it?

Airtekh! I was the same, I'd given NS2 a break due to it being a bit depressing trying to kill things .. but it's a bit better now??
    Definitely much better now, I noticed a major difference on Sunday. Before, it was very bad; and trying to play a lerk or fade was virtually impossible.

Have spent last while making skyboxes and trying to figure out why my pc reboots whenever the CPU goes idle
    Ouch, that sounds bad, hope you get it sorted.

I'll be on tonight for a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    What? Did they change something about it?

I'll be on tonight for a few games.
    Maybe balmark refers to his brand new mod?

Won't be there tonight, so I'll see you on the weekend.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    Maybe balmark refers to his brand new mod?

Won't be there tonight, so I'll see you on the weekend.
    hah yeah .. branded the command chair on our server :P
    ( has some mirror writing .. era is ok for now :P )

hoping to make it about 8pm or a little after .. I'll idle in the server for a bit to seed it now .. kick me when its full

ps. dont forget .. if server is 16/16 you can still join .. until its 18/18 .. it has 16 slots but 2 reserved
    Last edited by balmark; 26-09-2013 at 07:16 PM.

no game tonight?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Network Hub
    always a game airtehk#s ingame atm .. I'm there just for server population (3 is the sweet number to populate a server :P )

Will play in about 15 min ..

ugh. I had fun (sortof) but two games of failing hard were enough. Next time, I command.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    ugh. I had fun (sortof) but two games of failing hard were enough.
    Yeah, tonight wasn't great. I played about 5 games, and was on the losing side of every one unfortunately.

It didn't help that there was a bit of stacking going on in the server, we must randomize it more often at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Next time, I command.
    Sometimes it doesn't matter even if you have a great commander; if your team doesn't listen to you, or if they are all new, then there's not much you can do to win.

I commanded two games, and the first on on Veil my team couldn't defend a single extractor. We must've lost about six in the first 10 minutes. That coupled with some of them not listening to orders meant we were destined to lose.

The second on Summit, we had a really bad start and lost some early extractors, and immediately got penned into Datacore for far too long. We did break out and managed to control Crossroads for a while but it was too late by that stage.

Sorry to hear that. I've been playing a lot of NS2 lately and it is very hard to find a balanced game. This is not the game's fault but obviously due to the top scorers stacking match after match. I've played with very able and communicative teams and we still lost because we got outgunned.In consequence I've taken to playing mostly on servers with ELO-based randomizing enabled (maybe something worth considering for your server, balmark?).

or maybe we should have a banlist for all the top ranked players? or just move them manually to a team of our choosing? thats how we even the odds in our battlefield 3 nights. (but of course, that can only happen if everyone knows everyone)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Really Kwisatz? I've had a ton of balanced games, although I suppose I've been lucky most of the time then(someone has to beat at the far ends of the curve eh?!). Sorry I couldnt come, was a bit tired and had some work to do. I hopefully will be here on sunday evening!

Bread?

shall we have a rematch tonight?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Alas no, I have a birthday to attend.

Bread?