Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Yeah, it's really easy. I tried it at our first meet and it worked, but everyone's latency was really high because my connection wasn't able to handle the stress.

It's simple to set up, just go to the main menu > Play > Start a server and then fill in the details, including a password. We could try it on Sunday and see what sort of connection we get.

A München Kwisatz server sounds fine. München sounds a bit like munching so that makes sense anyway.
    See you sunday guys !
    (And to any random guy looking cluelessly at this thread : join us !)

Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    I had a blast too!
    About that server thing: I had my connection upgraded to VDSL today (actual DL-speed is 42.967 kbit/s, actual UL-speed is 4.687 kbit/s) and I also upgraded my CPU to an i5-2500K which is running at 4.2 Ghz. I have no experience whatsoever with running a server, but it seems to be simple enough in NS2. If you think my equipment and connection is up to it I'd be happy to give it a shot!

Let me know what you think.
    Sounds awesome - the one thing to remember with running a home server is that it's worth taking the time to cable it up to your router, rather than try to run it wirelessly.

Quote Originally Posted by corbain View Post
    Sounds awesome - the one thing to remember with running a home server is that it's worth taking the time to cable it up to your router, rather than try to run it wirelessly.
    Yeah, that's what I gathered, so I wired it up last week. We'll see how it works out tomorrow...
    Password will be "horace" as hitherto.
    Last edited by KwisatzHaderach; 12-01-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Network Hub
    Yeah, that's what I gathered, so I wired it up last week. We'll see how it works out tomorrow...
    Password will be "horace" as hitherto.
    Hope to be there tonight, will be late (putting me boys to bed at that time and will have to barter for time gaming :P ).. was good fun last time
    Been eyeing cpu/mb/gpu/ram bundles all over .. might be able to afford something that'll get me off 10-30fps in a year or so

Another good Sunday session. Had a few new faces show up as well as the regulars, nice to see you all.

Our attempt at creating a private server for ourselves was unsuccesful, but we might have another crack at it next week.

Apologies for my use of colourful language after the game where I commanded marines on Tram. I took offence at being called a noob comm by two idiot players (who clearly couldn't aim for shit themselves) who were demanding exos and jetpacks when we only had 1 command station.

Yup, good session ! Nice to see we're having a solid 8 and plus players count.
    I enjoyed trying my hand at commanding hehe; I actually had excess res and was a bit clueless at the end, didn't know what to build...
    Oh and you were right to scold those two young idiots.

Hopefully I'll fix mumble for next week.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sorry, saw the event pop up but was busy with other events going on.

Hope to join my first RPSkulk soon.

Wish i could have joined you, but Sundays i'm either working or spending "quality" time with the missus.

The Redditt EU servers are usually pretty good to play on other nights, games from 7pm GMT every day.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NS2redditEU

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Enjoyed last nights game, though I'm still reeling from being kicked out of the Commander's seat.

If I recover emotionally, I'll be there next week, although I might have to be a bit late as I have an exam the next day. Gotta prioritise these things apparently.
    steam: sketch

I agree, we had some really nice games going yesterday night!

I made a thread about my little server problem over at the UWE forums:
    http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/for...owtopic=127106

As you can see, I'm hopelessly overwhelmed by this near herculean task, so if any of you feels he might be able to whet my ganglia into an understanding shape, feel free to phase over there and have a look. And respond either here or there.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Enjoyed last nights game, though I'm still reeling from being kicked out of the Commander's seat.
    That was ridiculous. There were five players on your team, three of whom were RPS, and you still got the minimum 2 votes to get ejected. Madness.

@Kwis

Yeah, that's probably the best place to post. I have only very little understanding of how port forwarding works myself.

However, I had a thought afterwards about the game setting up as a LAN (if that's what is actually causing the problem). If it is a LAN, then we could try using a separate program like Evolve or Hamachi to connect to the server over a virtual LAN instead. We'll see how it goes.

Ok, the server should be ready for next sunday.
    Someone on the UWE forums pointed me to it: I just had to switch TCP for UDP when forwarding the ports (I think I did that at an earlier stage when something else was wrong) and it seems to be working now! Sketch just jumped in the server to test; VOICE worked and he had a Ping around 70-80, so that should be alright.

Looking forward to some tranquil and civilized matches. Without swearing (or you get kicked by the mighty admin: rules are rules!).

Without swearing
    As a french person, I'm offended by this censorphip.

Ok more seriously, great job on getting this to work.
    Also I had to google "whet my ganglia". Didn't know that verb.

Sunday's event is now up on Steam, hope to see you all there.

I've been checking out the changes made to Docking in this weeks patch. Cafe and East Wing look very different.

I just quickly watched a video about it.
    Departures has elevator stairs apparently... Hopefully they're not functional, otherwise I just know I'll end up taking them the wrong way.

I haven't touched my pc since last sunday which makes me feel very " " so can't wait to kill stuffes tomorrow ! yay !

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Well sorry about not being able to play much guys, the crashing was a real problem for me!

I think it may have been an overheating issue because I've switched GPU slots now and I think it's running MUCH cooler. So hopefully that's that.
    steam: sketch

yeah, kind of sad you weren't able to join properly :/

i enjoyed the games we had. no one-sided complete crushing, we had some nice come backs, victories ... at the end of our last game someone actually said it lasted for 57 minutes ... was it true ?!
    One complaint, though : winter cold makes it really hard to aim as a marine, my fingers were frozen (that's this week excuse).

Had some fun last night guys, thanks again for coming. I know we had small numbers, but the advantage of that is it can be easier to all get on the same team.

If we get more people in the future, we can host our own game on Kwis's supercomputer.

I won as commander again (hooray!), but marines didn't put up much of a fight in that game on Mineshaft so I had an easier time of it. I really hope UWE sort out the binding of commander hotkeys because then I could be a lot quicker with cysts and medpacks and stuff.

Highlight of the evening for me was the epic marine comeback on Atrium, where we took down no less than six onos.

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    no less than six onos.
    One of them being Kwisatz. Serves him well for killing me 430983098 times.

Quick idea for next week : any interest in trying a few mods ? A silly map, maybe more. I haven't explored any mods so far, I'm quite curious to see how yummy they are.