Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Hey gals, FREE BEER... nay, FREE WEEKEND!!!
    At last, everyone who was on the fence can jump in and experience the splendour that is NS2! With the recent patch 242 performance also increased up to 50%, so be sure to give it a shot and join the RPSkulk group for tonight and the coming Sunday.
    Last edited by KwisatzHaderach; 21-03-2013 at 06:49 AM.

I was just about to pop in and tell you what Kwis just already did! Also, the game will be 50% off during the weekend, so make sure everyone gets it. Yes, everyone.

Or better yet, make your friends play it for free and get addicted, and then force them to pay the full price so that UWE get more money. You know they deserve it.

Activated Node
    BTW, I have a free copy of the game lying about, if anyone of you have a friend that is interested in the game. Though as Alaeus says, even better if they buy it. Though if they are poor... Also, would prefer to give it to someone interested in playing with our group.

Probably won't be joining you today.

Quote Originally Posted by njursten View Post
    BTW, I have a free copy of the game lying about, if anyone of you have a friend that is interested in the game. Though as Alaeus says, even better if they buy it. Though if they are poor... Also, would prefer to give it to someone interested in playing with our group.
    Same here. I'm still looking for a loving home for the copy I aquired during the last sale.

Activated Node
    Never mind, will actually show up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Eh, hello, will try game over the weekend. Haven't played something really like that, a bit of Savage and AvP2 maybe.
    Will try to be on mumble, if need be, if not, well, see you in game then.
    If I really like this game, might buy it full price, when salary comes by, or over the easter.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Some, er, interesting games last night. I added yet another game to my commanding losing streak.

Seriously, don't ask me to command; it's a job more suited to those who A) are able to multitask B) don't lose their cool when under pressure and C) have a working microphone for the first ten minutes of the game.

On another note, I was thinking about Sunday, and the free weekend. Given that we're going to have the biggest influx of new players ever, I thought we might have a tutorial session or something to cater for them.

I thought that the last time we had a deluge of newbies, we didn't come across as particularly organised, judging by the amount that actually stuck around.

I was thinking that perhaps we could have a proper tutorial session for anybody that wants it. Slow the pace of a game down maybe, and let people practice things.

If veteran players want to play a proper game, then they could go off and do that instead.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Eh, hello, will try game over the weekend. Haven't played something really like that, a bit of Savage and AvP2 maybe.
    Will try to be on mumble, if need be, if not, well, see you in game then.
    If I really like this game, might buy it full price, when salary comes by, or over the easter.
    Welcome! I would advise that you connect to Mumble though.

You can mute yourself if you don't have a microphone, so we know you can't speak. It's just useful to have Mumble active so you can listen in and you know if we're changing server or something.
    Last edited by airtekh; 22-03-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Obscure Node
    Airtekh, a great idea.

I've often kind of wondered what would be the way to teach NS. It's a fairly complex game, and it is very useful for the players to understand some of the strategic scope of the game as well.

If we get enough new people, we could even possible organize a mock game or two, where we go over the basics and some details step by step. Although that would require some preparation, probably. Or would that be too boring?

Bankrotas: Savage will serve as an excellent basis for NS2. The game does have it's issues, and as with all multiplayer games, a lot depends on the people you play with. Hope you'll have fun!

A very reasonable idea indeed!

Of course, it all depends on the actual number of weekenders we get tomorrow night. So far there have been two new arrivals to the steam group: Bankrotas and some other guy. In case there won’t be any coverage of the free weekend by RPS I don’t expect such a huge influx and it should be managable to integrate “our” green players into regular play, while still helping them out and explaining things along the way.

If there will be coverage (fingers crossed) and we get heaps of new players, it’s whole different story. In that case I would suggest to split up. Let me explain:
    Say, we got 8 regular, experienced players and 10 new, unexperienced players. Apart from that you CAN’T go and make a 18player server (because that would cause the game to explode) it’s not very practical having 18 ppl in one channel. It will be a babylonic babble of confused sheep calling out to their confused sheperds, verily I say unto thee!
    But if we split up into two teams of 4 vets and 5 newbs each, we can use the Alien and Marine channels to have a more orderly way of mentoring. Well, we could still go on the same (18 Player!!!) server of course. If you would want the game to explode, that is…

What say you?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Welcome! I would advise that you connect to Mumble though.

You can mute yourself if you don't have a microphone, so we know you can't speak. It's just useful to have Mumble active so you can listen in and you know if we're changing server or something.
    I am on mumble, don't you worry and a working mic.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

It just came to my attention that the free weekend stops at 1 pm PDT which should translate into 8 pm UTC/GMT if I'm not mistaken. So any potential weekenders will be cut off from our session anyway if not they decide to purchase NS2.

The 50% offer will continue through to 5 pm UTC monday though...

That could be a problem. Perhaps we could mention it at the start to warn people.

However, I think most people will probably give NS2 a shot before Sunday, so they'll already have an idea of if they want to buy it or not.

As regards tutorials, as you say, it all depends on how many show up. We'll see how many we have, and decide what to do from there.

Unfortunately I don't think RPS will mention the 50%, it's a pity it happened during the big indie sale. With any luck a few newcomers will have bought it and will join this sunday.
    Which brings me to this sad point : I won't be there tomorrow evening, as from today I am in holiday in Stockholm
    I had a very tasty IPA and ate some moose on our first evening here, so I think I'm blending nicely.
    I have a tiny question for our swedish RPS NS2 members, though ... is it normal that Stockholm's streets are pretty empty on a Saturday evening ? Or did we just take a walk in the wrong part of town (around a street called Upplandsgattan) ? Maybe I'm just used to the crowdiness of Paris.
    Anyway, er, so NS2, right ? how about'em marines, hey ? and them skulks, oh oh.... bah, i wish I had an alienware laptop.

Activated Node
    Depends on what time? I'm not usually running about that much, but around 9 o'clock there should people about. Upplandsgatan seems to be a bit off though, though I really haven't been hanging out in that area.

How long are you staying?

RPSkulk splendour at its pinnacle:

2013-03-24_00001.jpg

Great games, great people, great session! Hope to see you back on Thursday!
    Last edited by KwisatzHaderach; 25-03-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Really good first session for me today!

I'll gladly come back for more!

P.S.: Get that phase gate up! Quick!

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Awesome session guys!

What video would you like? I think I recorded most games, I'll definitely include the one where marines JUST lost, but what else?
    steam: sketch

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    RPSkulk splendour at its pinnacle:

2013-03-24_00001.jpg

Needs more Onos!

So I guess eight skulks can chew up a power node pretty fast, huh? That was a great game.

My work schedule it quite messed up now for a time, so I don't know when I'll be able to join you again.

Also, no ready room tower is complete without a skulk on top. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    That could be a problem. Perhaps we could mention it at the start to warn people.

However, I think most people will probably give NS2 a shot before Sunday, so they'll already have an idea of if they want to buy it or not.

As regards tutorials, as you say, it all depends on how many show up. We'll see how many we have, and decide what to do from there.
    Are you talking about that one on Tram? THAT was a great game! Even though I commed and lost; it was very dynamic and exciting.
    Well, as far as I can remember pretty much every longer game we had yesterday is worthy of a video, so feel free to pick one to your hearts content.