Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Yesterday looked awesome !
    Why do you guys do cool human pyramids on the very night I can't join ?

Quote Originally Posted by njursten View Post
    How long are you staying?
    We're here until saturday morning, so the whole week. We took a few long walks on the southern island which name I already forgot and found out that many people and coffees and bars seem to be located there, so yeah we were looking in the wrong place. If you or/and Alaeus want to have coffee or a drink one of these days, that could be fun; don't feel obligated to say yes obviously, I'm here on holiday and I'm sure you guys have busy weeks.

Anyway, sorry everyone for disturbing the ns2 forum. I know I know, it's not called Rock Paper Sweden.

Edit : I miss playing with you guys. schnief.
    Last edited by Felisc; 25-03-2013 at 06:50 PM.

That was a good series of games last night. I commed a couple and didnt actually lose. Which is a nice change But I think I was lucky as my team seemed pretty good, I'm not entirely convinced I was doing much for them really. Need to practice marine comming though as that's still a bit unfamiliar to me.

And that tram game with the awesome skulk horde at the end was awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Felisc View Post
    Yesterday looked awesome !
    Why do you guys do cool human pyramids on the very night I can't join ?
    No one wants you on top of them.

I'll be uploading the games soon I promise! That was probably the best weekend we've had. A game of only RPS with 8 people on each side? Magnificent!
    steam: sketch

As a newcomer to NS2 (haven't started it once), how familiar should I be with the game to not dismay my fellow RPSers?

Not at all! We try to encourage as many new players as possible, and are more than willing to do a little tutorial session to help explain some of the basic game concepts to get your started.

We are also very happy to let newbies try commanding. Comming in public games when you're learning is a nightmare, not just because people will yell at you that you're doing it wrong, but will often tell you off for building perfectly reasonable things/not pay attention when you do what they want/basically not cater to their every whim.

Also airtekh is sick of us bugging him at the start of every single game by this point.

-Rammrool

Edit : I miss playing with you guys. schnief.
    I miss you too mon ami! Sketch has been very mean lately, as I had to take all the beatings which were actually meant for you. So, please do come back, I'm not sure how long I can hold out before I go on a mad killing spree (with a Fade obviously).
    It sure is hard to be Felisc around Sketch...

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    No one wants you on top of them.

I'll be uploading the games soon I promise! That was probably the best weekend we've had. A game of only RPS with 8 people on each side? Magnificent!
    I believe it even went near or above the twenties at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Labbes View Post
    As a newcomer to NS2 (haven't started it once), how familiar should I be with the game to not dismay my fellow RPSers?
    As Sketch and Ramrool said: it doesn't matter at all. Still, I suggest reading up on the basic lifeforms and weapons, upgrades and evolutions and maybe watch one or two tutorials before getting started to make things easier for you. I can remember it was a little overwhelming when I first started the game and went straight in. There's just so much going on at once...

I found this wiki to be a good place to get some basic advice:
    http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/index.php/Guide

I actually recommend tracking down a 'pro' competitive game or too being commentated on on youtube. It probably won't look like what you're actual experience of it would be like too much, but it gives you an idea of what's important for your team to focus on and how best to use some of the trickier alien classes (fade in particular, a lot of new players will try to rush a base with them).

Also you'll be able to answer smugly when someone asks why your commander built an armoury next to a door on the other side of your base.

Obscure Node
    Sunday was a great night! Great games and great fun. NS is such a different beast when there's communication and some familiarity with the players :-)

Unfortunately I probably can't make it this week, what with the Easter and and all.

Quote Originally Posted by pilot13 View Post
    I actually recommend tracking down a 'pro' competitive game or too being commentated on on youtube. It probably won't look like what you're actual experience of it would be like too much, but it gives you an idea of what's important for your team to focus on and how best to use some of the trickier alien classes (fade in particular, a lot of new players will try to rush a base with them).

Also you'll be able to answer smugly when someone asks why your commander built an armoury next to a door on the other side of your base.
    I also recommend this pretty much for everyone. Especially for commanding. In addition to what Rammrool said one thing I find very useful is that you get to see the ebb and flow of the game. You get to see the missed opportunities, mistakes and how delicate changes can have a huge effect. Also, when you command you're always so focused on what you're doing and very stressed. So you miss a lot of things, because you just don't have the time to process most of it. There's no pressure when watching matches, so you can actually see what's happening :-)

Of course spectating normal games is useful as well. And you get to move the camera yourself. However, on many servers spectating is considered bad manners, as it takes up a slot. Watching a league game or two also has the advantage that those games are usually very coordinated. Which means pretty much everything you see is practiced and purposeful.

We could perhaps have someone spectate and make a video of an RPS game some night. Even with commentators :-)

EDIT: Clarified a bit
    Last edited by unimural; 26-03-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Activated Node
    Yeah, would be super cool with someone spectating and recording!

I really ought to learn some different tactics, as now I'm mostly just building stuff and asking people to defend somewhere, not really organizing attacks.

To be honest, I have to disagree that watching pro matches when you haven't even fired up the game once is going to help much. Sure, watching these matches is awesome for advanced teamplay and observing refined tactics/strategies, but it won't explain the basic things that you have to know, once you're faced with a marine or an enemy base. First you have to know what does what, then you can draw conclusions. Otherwise it would be putting the cart before the horse.

Anyway, Labbes, now that I have started to discuss this matter, please don't feel pressured into doing any of these things. I'm just discussing this as a matter of principle. You will be just fine without preparing, it will take a little longer to ease into the game, that's all.

Yes, a spectated and commented game would be awesome! Sketch, you're eloquent and got a handsome voice and are very skilled at recording... No reason, just saying!

Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    Sketch, you're eloquent and got a handsome voice and are very skilled at recording... No reason, just saying!
    I'm sorry but we should have dual commentating from Airtekh and Balmark doing their best irish accents.

Yes, a spectated and commented game would be awesome! Sketch, you're eloquent and got a handsome voice and are very skilled at recording... No reason, just saying!
    I don't know someone with a nice cultural mix of New Zealand and German would go down best don't you think? Felisc can't do it for obvious reason...

Quote Originally Posted by pilot13 View Post
    Also airtekh is sick of us bugging him at the start of every single game by this point.
    Yeah, I'm starting to think that you guys like losing so much that you can't wait to get me into the command chair. :P

By the way I'm not claming that Alien win from the other night, that belongs to Olive. We were well on the way to defeat before he took over.

I'm sorry but we should have dual commentating from Airtekh and Balmark doing their best irish accents.
    Um, not sure what part of Ireland you've been visiting Felisc, but I don't actually have an Irish accent. Mine's 'Generic South of England'.

Balmark does though, a lovely Cork brogue so it is.
    Last edited by airtekh; 26-03-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Well remember he thought Houdini was German. A man of the world is our Felisc.

By the way I'm not claming that Alien win from the other night, that belongs to Olive. We were well on the way to defeat before he took over.
    You should, you kept us hanging on even though the marine team had us dead to rights for almost the entire thing. And that's not on you really, I can't speak for anyone else, but I was playing pretty badly.

Anyway, Labbes, now that I have started to discuss this matter, please don't feel pressured into doing any of these things. I'm just discussing this as a matter of principle. You will be just fine without preparing, it will take a little longer to ease into the game, that's all.
    Ah well, I would feel bad if I didn't know anything, so I'll try not to be Mr. Noobynoob, but I probably won't command for a while. Or...be very useful. But I will have my key bindings ready and won't ask "but what's a shotgun?"

Research defenses against fades, or else Kwis will sculpt you into a statue of him self using your bones.

I'm kidding but he is a very good Fade so ask him tips

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    I'll be uploading the games soon I promise!
    Sketch! You're way behind schedule! What do you think you are getting played for?!

Okay okay! Today I promise!

Stupid Bioshock Infinite download, why must you be so hefty?