Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Ah, Bioshock Infinite... the game that is currently mauling my PC. I seriously need new hardware...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I'll eventually play it once Kwis will let me : (
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    I'll eventually play it once Kwis will let me : (
    No.
    Post that video, I want to see you all not having fun and mourning my absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Felisc View Post
    No.
    Post that video, I want to see you all not having fun and mourning my absence.
    That's what I'm doing you onion, hence the "once Kwis will let me". Pssh, you're losing your touch old man.

I come bearing fruit, as a sorry for being so late, a full hour of gameplay, of two pretty awesome games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp-JgirXcxg

I apologise for recording everything I say, even the swears, but it's the only way I can get it to record me at all Wow seriously, at 15 minutes, I sound like such a penis (moreso) sorry chaps.
    Last edited by Sketch; 28-03-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Thank you so much, Sketch!
    I watched 2/3 of the first game so far. It's insightful to watch a game you commed from a grunts perspective. I thought I did alright, but I now know what a long way I have to go yet: vague orders, no calling by name, sluggish reactions to destroyed buildings (we went without an armoury in main base for quite some time g), late mines. And two cardinal sins of marine comming: armour 3 was up very late (Exos had been out for quite some time) and I never kept some emergency res for beaconing!
    Also, I should have spent way more time with the fellas defending ore and pushing repair! I'm sorry, you were more or less left to yourselves. An armoury outside of elevator would have been better than spending thousands of pres on meds and ammo too...

Just a quick question: at one point I beaconed in Server Room but everyone was teleported to Warehouse. Is that supposed to be like that or was that a bug?

Oh well...

The team played absolutely amazing! You did such a great job at sticking together and prioritzing targets! You took down Onos after Onos, Fade after Fade, just an incredible effort. I hope I'll find the time to watch through the rest of the games today.

Ok Sketch, run along now! But don't be late for dinner!

First game: That game felt all the way through as though you guys were gonna take it. We managed to pull you off an early attack on elevator (which would have crippled us entirely I'm sure) by forcing you to beacon to save your ip. We should have tried more concerted efforts like that later on when you were still attacking elevator. As you can see in the vid there are some sporadic attempts to attacking your bases, but nothing concerted to force you to stop pressuring us.

Also Sketch, you seem to kill me disproportionally more than any other player.

Second game: I'm still learning how to command aliens, but even so, I feel like I was very absent. Like kwis said about his game, I didn't really give any solid orders or refer to anyone by name. I just often seemed to say 'erm this one bit is under attack if someone could go there, great'. At one point I think I actually say 'marines in bar, oh wait so are you guys, nevermind.' Basically I didn't really direct or lead the team in any particular way.

That said I think I was competent enough, I made sure the team had upgrades (and felt vindicated that I had actually researched tunnels before someone prompted me, even if it was only missing because the marine team had killed that particular hive and I hadn't noticed).

Watching the game back I should have tried to direct attacks. I think we might have won simply because of my team being pretty good.

-Rammrool

Is there some way of seeing players' names on the map when playing as a comm? I have a hard time knowing who's where and who to tell what to do.

Not on the map as far as I know, only if your viewpoint is directly above them.

Obscure Node
    Thank you very much Sketch!

Kwis: Regarding the beacon, I'm not sure which point you refer to, but there's one point ~27:30 where you try to beacon the marines to Elevator, and they end up in Warehouse because there's no command station in elevator at that point. Did you mean some other point in game? It may well be a bug.

Rammrool: I also suffer from being a directionless alien commander. It happens easily because the alien commander is far more removed from the players. You don't drop meds or ammo, you can build stuff on your own. I often, as an alien commander, feel like I've mostly just commented on what I've built and where I've seen the marines, instead of actually directing players :-)

I'm not entirely sure tunnels are that good an upgrade. The problem is that marines can use them as well, and sometimes that gives them a fast way to take down upgrades. And they are pretty expensive. 3/4 of a hive, or blink. Although I would like to try and use them offensively, for a rush or something.

The second game was difficult. After the fact it's easy to say we spent way too long on trying to take locker. Still, the marines played well, I think, both as a team and as individuals. Most of the time we were pretty focused on doing something relatively sensible. Yet we never gained any ground. I don't think we ever had more than 3 rts. I still don't quite know what I should have differently and when.

I may not be there tonight, if I am it might be quite late, sorry chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by unimural View Post
    Thank you very much Sketch!

Kwis: Regarding the beacon, I'm not sure which point you refer to, but there's one point ~27:30 where you try to beacon the marines to Elevator, and they end up in Warehouse because there's no command station in elevator at that point. Did you mean some other point in game? It may well be a bug.

Rammrool: I also suffer from being a directionless alien commander. It happens easily because the alien commander is far more removed from the players. You don't drop meds or ammo, you can build stuff on your own. I often, as an alien commander, feel like I've mostly just commented on what I've built and where I've seen the marines, instead of actually directing players :-)

I'm not entirely sure tunnels are that good an upgrade. The problem is that marines can use them as well, and sometimes that gives them a fast way to take down upgrades. And they are pretty expensive. 3/4 of a hive, or blink. Although I would like to try and use them offensively, for a rush or something.

The second game was difficult. After the fact it's easy to say we spent way too long on trying to take locker. Still, the marines played well, I think, both as a team and as individuals. Most of the time we were pretty focused on doing something relatively sensible. Yet we never gained any ground. I don't think we ever had more than 3 rts. I still don't quite know what I should have differently and when.
    I think it would have been nice to have tunnels between locker and departures. Sure a marine rush could have taken both hives, but departures actually went down while sketch was in onos form at lockers. Might have saved the hive if he could have gotten through, but it's definitely situational and could easily have been a hindrance as a help. That said I've not seen much in the way of tunnel cheese for base attacks, but an organised team could use them well I think.

Quote Originally Posted by unimural View Post
    I'm quite sure I beaconed from Server Room, which had a CC at the time.
    Is there really the condition to have a CC at the tech point you are beaconing to? I didn't know that.

Activated Node
    Is there some way to disable the context sensitive icon buttons in the game that appear when you're commanding? Too often I end up evolving the first hive randomly.

Quote Originally Posted by njursten View Post
    Is there some way to disable the context sensitive icon buttons in the game that appear when you're commanding? Too often I end up evolving the first hive randomly.
    Oh thats a good question, I got annoyed by those too.
    Also, I can't remember... are we now finally able to remap the command keys ? My stupid Azerty keyboard is nightmarish for using the commanding shortcuts.

Network Hub
    While im at it any CC about my mod that we played this thursday_

Quote Originally Posted by njursten View Post
    Afaik no, there is no way to turn them off. But is there not a cancel option like for the marine comm to abort an ongoing upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Head View Post
    I liked it quite a bit. Going into a dark room, throwing a couple of flares into its corners before building up the powernode felt great! I also like the degree of darkness in most rooms, I was able to see just well enough to track a skulk. There were some really nice and atmospheric situations (e.g. I just love Cargo when it's dark and the outside lighting makes the scene a little kitschy).

I didn't like the total darkness that was prevalent in some areas. Also, as discussed, there has to be a downside for Aliens too, maybe the thing with getting blinded by light (flashlight as well as floodlight), if that is possible to implement. It would also give a much needed buff to floodlights, as they are pretty much useless at the moment, I would rather build up a powernode which takes the same building time as a battery + floodlights, has more armour and gives unidirectional light. I like the idea of light as a kind of weapon, like in Alan Wake.
    Fiddling with the Shade path, getting rid of Camo and substituting it with (an enhanced) alien vision sounds like a reasonable idea. Question is: what happens to shades an of course, it would have to be considered if the basic alien vision should be nerfed or kept the way it is.

All in all I like the mod and can see me playing it alot alongside regular mode. I'm also convinced that there are many ppl who are just waiting for something like this, there have been several threads on the topic over at the UWE forums, asking for more emphasis on light and shadow in the gameplay mechanics.

It's great to have someone aboard who is actually capable of contributing in this way and while I don't understand much about these things I imagine it brings quite a bit of work with it. So, I take my hat off to you!
    Last edited by KwisatzHaderach; 30-03-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Activated Node
    Oh, that might be possible. Will have to check that out next time it happens.

I kind of assume the keys are remappable, considering how supermoddable this game seems to be. Might have to find some specific file and update it, though. :P

Regarding Head's mod, yeah, I agree that something should be done about the alien vision. Maybe at first just some increased ambient light, then with the upgrade add the player highlighting. About getting blinded, seems like it might be a bit too powerful?

Quote Originally Posted by Head View Post
    I might not be the best judge as it was my first time playing and all, but I thought it was awesome. Actually I think I performed worse as an alien because I used alien vision way too much and assumed the room was dark when it was actually lit, whereas the darkness kept me on my toes at all times when playing marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Labbes View Post
    I might not be the best judge as it was my first time playing and all, but I thought it was awesome. Actually I think I performed worse as an alien because I used alien vision way too much and assumed the room was dark when it was actually lit, whereas the darkness kept me on my toes at all times when playing marine.
    This. Forgetting to swap back to normal vision a bunch of times kept me getting caught out in the open in the lights. You need to remember to swap frequently, but i think its more of a problem as a player than as mod choice.

You guys were talking about changing the default alien vision to night vision or something and making alien vision an upgrade. I'm not convinced that having alien vision as default is that big of a problem, and if it was an upgrade i suspect most would rather use silence to make use of what remaining darkness there is given that it would presumably be mid-gameish when the marines have lit up some of the map already making it a bit redundant. That said I tend to use alien vision a lot when attacking anyway as a lot of background elements are distracting while spinning about trying to bite players. So perhaps it might still be useful

As Kwis said the floodlights seemed a bit useless frankly. While they did catch me out in nano and got me killed by a marine after we took the power down, I'm not convinced that they would have the highest construction priority. I don't know what res cost you have associated with them but unless they're fairly cheap I suspect they won't get much use as it stands. They're a cool idea but I think they need something to make them a little more special.

I like the idea of light acting as a kind of weapon against aliens, maybe cause the floodlights to act as flashbangs to aliens using alien vision so as to level the playing field in base rushes or straight up introduce flashbangs.

I really liked the mod though, so I hope not to sound too negative. It changes up the gameplay a bit without changing the core mechanics too much. It seems to encourage the marines to play as more of a team which can only be a good thing. It doesn't change the alien experience too much yet, but pulling off a shadowy ambush feels totally boss. I hope to play it some more. (also please fix that mines bug lol)