Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davkaus View Post
    I never actually realised you could just use NS2 mods in every game, I thought they could only be used on modded servers...With the exception of the delightful Gorge loveheart mod Alaeus has shared, are there any "must haves"?

That was me, thanks, I'll do so. I think it's among the plethora of games in my Steam library that I never got around to installing. This will at least give me something to do while I cheekily wait for Infinite to go on sale at some point.

Would you say the same for Bioshock 2?

I haven't played 2 and I'm 99% sure I didn't miss anything because of it, though if you enjoy 1 you might as well give 2 a shot.

Regarding Planetside, I think I'll give it a blast tonight and try and get a handle on the game a bit more, I'd like to know what's going on a bit more :-)
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Setroc View Post
    Thanks for the games last night, it was all good fun. I particularly enjoyed the round where marines were getting a bit battered around, but won with a quick jetpack and shotgun rush on the hives.
    Yes, those were my personal highlights as well. Aliens were playing really well, not giving us a single moment to collect ourselves and plan an attack. Those rushes were a last resort and could have easily failed.

Conerning PS2:
    I only play Thursdays and Sundays regularly. But I'd be willing to offer one NS2 night to PS2 every once in a while (sacrilege, I know).
    What are the "Tactical Thursdays" all about? Tactics?

Behold the upcoming addition to the alien basic lifeform: white bread without any nutritions weakens the marines physique and softens their brains over time! 3rd Hive ability substitutes Xenocide.
    Sbread.jpg
    Last edited by KwisatzHaderach; 15-04-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Activated Node
    Also, 3rd level armour replaces the soft, silly armour with bread plates.

I have to say, half of the fun yesterday was complaining about sucky commanders. Yes, I love complaining.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    Conerning PS2:
    I only play Thursdays and Sundays regularly. But I'd be willing to offer one NS2 night to PS2 every once in a while (sacrilege, I know).
    What are the "Tactical Thursdays" all about? Tactics?
    Pretty much what you experienced last thursday, only then on a small scale. Most week nights are slightly more casual depending on the desire of most people. Strategic Thursdays are a good way to get into the game since you usually sit in a channel with your SL and 12 other people. Most other nights are 12+ sized channels.

@Felisc

I never got talking about the keybindings, but there's actually a mod that might help you. I have a Dvorak keyboard layout, and I had to use google to find a fix for the commander keys. It involves messing around with XML files and such, so hopefully the mod works and you don't have to do that.

With the exception of the delightful Gorge loveheart mod Alaeus has shared, are there any "must haves"?

Only ones I couldn't live without are the Motion tracking circle and different crosshairs, but it's down to personal preference really.

As regards Bioshock, if you enjoy shooters then you should like both the original games. I enjoyed 2 more than 1, personally; I found the shooting a lot more fun and the story more engaging.

Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    But I'd be willing to offer one NS2 night to PS2 every once in a while (sacrilege, I know).
    Wow, never thought I'd hear you say that Kwis. Are you feeling OK? High on bread fumes no doubt, you really should stop smoking that.

Obscure Node
    Gorge <3 ! Also nice write-ups on aliens, thanks.

With regards to PS2 I wouldn't mind for example alternating between NS2 and PS2 on Thursdays. In PS2 it doesn't really matter how many people we get, we can get a squad going regardless. Where as in NS it's always better to have the 12+ players. Other than that I don't think there's a single day I could properly commit to, but I'll be happy to try and join you all when I can.

Davkaus: Given that I haven't played Bioshock Infinite, this is pure speculation, but I suspect that playing Bioshock 2 will have no impact on your experience with BI. Like airtekh, I kind of favour Bioshock 2 over Bioshock, especially when it comes to gameplay. Storywise it's a bit of more of the same. Although the same here is an interesting, fairly well written story that's told with skill. However, Bioshock is the game you should play, and after having played Bioshock there's in all honesty very little _need_ to play Bioshock 2.

Kwis that Skulk better not leave teeth marks in that bread! Some of us are civilized gentlemen, you know. Actually speaking of bread, I just bought some that is sort of fruity and I'm going to try toasting it. I'll grab a picture later.

As far as Planetside 2 is concerned I'll do whatever really! I'd like to throw my hat in and say some L4D2 would be amazing too but we wouldn't have to do that on any organised night. Depending on how many of us there are we could do 4v4 or use the team search button to find us some public meat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Its probably best to hop by on the PS2 channel, people are playing every night on most days. And Sketch, I would be up for some L4D2!

sketch: 2 has a way better story than 1. but for maximum. enjoyment play 1 regardless before.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Network Hub
    Thanks for the Bioshock comments guys.

When it comes to PS2, I would prefer to play PS2 on another night and not give up NS2 Thursdays, but I'll tag along with everyone else.

Also, I'm in for some L4D2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar

When it comes to PS2, I would prefer to play PS2 on another night and not give up NS2 Thursdays, but I'll tag along with everyone else.

Also, I'm in for some L4D2.
    You really should try PS2 on Thursdays, that's where the real game is, at least for me. Though we might be starting up a subsection of the RPS PS2 outfit specifically for more organised tactical play. All of you guys would be welcome to join in if you wished.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So now I need to improve my gun-game as a marine, any suggestions?

Thanks airtekh... but I was actually referring to that mod yesterday evening
    For some reason typing "commanderazerty" in the console doesn't change anything for me, I was wondering if you had tried it out ...
    (also, how come you have a dvorak layout ? isn't that restricted for XIXth century czech nerds ? ... sorry, stupid joke. But, so, dvorak hey ?)

Now... have you seen Kwis new avatar ?
    That's dedication.

With the exception of the delightful Gorge loveheart mod Alaeus has shared, are there any "must haves"?

I have so many mods installed the game is barely recognisable any more. These are some of the model replacements.

2013-03-24_00004.jpg

The infestation looks like this and my marine buildings look like this. And my guns look like this.

This image is actually a pretty accurate description of what the game looks like to me most of the time (from this collection).
    black and blue.jpg

I think it's already been said, but Bioshock 2 doesn't seem to be essential to the franchise (I don't think it was even made by the irrational(?)) but I actually really liked it. I think I enjoyed it more than the first one, but that might just be because I went into it expecting it to be pretty weak in comparison and being pretty surprised. That said, I didn't really enjoy it for the story which I'm genuinely struggling to recall.

I don't mind sacrificing the odd thursday for Planetside 2, but of all nights in the week tuesday is best for me for other games.

I am also up for some left 4 dead 2, I think that would be pretty fun.

EDIT:
    Now... have you seen Kwis new avatar ?
    That's dedication.
    It is totally awesome.
    Last edited by pilot13; 15-04-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Steam ID - Rammrool

Network Hub
    Does the bread crowd approve of toast, or view it as an abomination unto our yeasty overlord?

If the former, I propose a Kickstarter to enable me to develop a toaster that will burn an Onos on to every slice. (Edit: Patent pending)

I wrote a thread over at the steam forums when the free weekend hit the servers. Maybe you'll find something usefull in there...

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread made, that strikes the most basic things someone who wants to enjoy NS2 has to know.

So I'll start with a few points I find especially important, feel free to add to this thread and make it grow.

-
    Stick to 16 player (Rookie) servers

The game IS balanced around that number (or even less) of players. The very fragile game balance will shift once you hit 20+ players. If you ask me, alot of the imbalance-complaints derive from ppl playing on overcrowded servers.

-

Do not go commander in your first games
    It's much easier to grasp the concept of the game when you're out there as a grunt, fighting, building, munching. There are so many things a comm has to keep track of, it would just blow your mind if you wanted to do them all correctly in the beginning (except of course you are Data. Or his evil brother).
    It's better to be able to focus on a few things at a time in the field, like welding or going Fade for a bit, to see in first person how they can affect the game.
    Also, it's very boring for the whole team if there's someone in charge without any notion of what to do. Games with a very green comm are very boring and often one-sided.

-

Marines have ammo, Aliens have energy
    As a marine always watch your ammo count, time your reloads and ask for ammo/resupply BEFORE you run out.
    As an Alien (especially as a Fade and Gorge) watch your energy meter (circle bar at the lower right corner). Once you run out of energy you have to wait for it to regenerate before you can attack or use special abilities such as the Skulks leap. As a Gorge use the adrenaline upgrade to be able to heal/bile/build for extended periods of time.

-

Play by sound
    Both as Alien as well as Marine. When building always listen for traitorous Skulk steps. When skulking around, listen for welding/building noises alerting you to a marine position.
    USE "WALK" AS A SKULK to avoid making noise and take your victim by surprise.

-

Keep your Skulk away from the ground
    Especially while attacking. Try to evade and dogde shots until the marine is forced to reload or switch weapon, then go in for the kill. Hunt in packs but spread out enough so Marines have to move their aim around and get confused.

-

Order of attack for Aliens
    This is a complex topic, so i will only lay down the ground rules.
    ONLY go for the powernode when you are attacking a base and there's a bunch of you OR you are a Gorge or an Onos. When there are one or two skulks attaccking a base take this to heart:
    Observatory
    Phase Gate
    Arms Lab or Command Chair or Power node

When attacking a Ressource Tower, no matter the lifeform:
    Ressource Tower first
    Never mind the Power node, it doesn't cost them anything except time to build. It takes them about as long to build as it takes you to destroy it, so it isn't worth the effort most of the time.

Always bring down the Power if marines tried to set up a phase gate at key locations (for example "System Waypoint" or "Nano Grid" on the map veil) base or at a tech point.

-

Don't waste your higher lifeforms
    As a Skulk, be agressive and reckless. A Skulk is disposable. Best upgrades to start with are Carapace + Silence + Celerity.

As a Gorge (2nd lifeform) never go into battle alone, if you are alone and see marines advancing, call for help . Best upgrades are Adrenaline + camouflage + carapace.

As a Lerk get your advice elswhere, as I'm terrible at it

As a Fade (4th lifeform) retreat as soon as your armour is worn down. Only make hit and run attacks and try to take marines by surprise by coming at them from the back (flank them, you're moving fast around the map). NEVER take camouflage for the Fade, it's useless, since he should be in motion at all times anyway. Silence is a great upgrade for the fade + celerity OR adrenaline (I prefer celerity, but having more energy might make it easier to learn the lifeform) + Carapace (some ppl prefer regeneration, but the Fade being the fastest lifeform in the game, you can quikly HEAL AT A HIVE). Make extensive use of your SHADOW STEP ability and the double jump (just press jump 2x). They don't need to researched.

As an Onos (5th lifeform) you are NOT invincible. Three marines with upgraded rifles can be enough to take you down if they know what they are doing and you don't. Again, retreat once you're running out of armor. Ideally ask a Gorge to be your healing buddy. Don't forget to use the CHARGE ability to close distance fast and apply extra damage to a target, but be carefull as it drains energy very fast. Upgrades: carapace + camouflage + celerity.

-

Make your shots count
    As a marine make your shots count. Don't push the trigger as soon as you see a Skulk and not let go until you run out of ammo. That's what a good Skulk wants you to do (see above). Control your fire when the Skulk is closing in, once it is in biting range, it might help to hold fire down.

-

Move in groups
    If you want to survive, form squads of two to 4 ppl. But don't all stick together, spread out so you can provide covering fire for your buddies. Keep in mind that a Skulk is a melee fighter, the more distance it has to close between targets the more time you have to take it down.
    Also: ALWAYS check ceilings and corners when entering a room.

-

Don't reload your rifle during combat
    Switch to pistol instead. By the time you reload a rifle most skulks will have digested you. Pistol does alot of damage and is excellent in finishing off Skulks. It also reloads much quicker.

-

Ask in case anything is unclear
    Don't be shy! There's most likely a helpfull soul around eager to explain to you the things that don't yet make sense to you.

Enjoy the game!

Does the bread crowd approve of toast, or view it as an abomination unto our yeasty overlord?

If the former, I propose a Kickstarter to enable me to develop a toaster that will burn an Onos on to every slice. (Edit: Patent pending)
    Toast is an acceptable alternative to bread, sharing a common heritage. However, the level of toastiness is an important factor to consider.

Also, nice post Kwis! Now time to rustle up my own bread avatar, and install L4D2.

So I actually got the dedicated server up and running. Don't know yet if it will survive the beating a gathered RPS team will bring, but maybe we can try Thursday?

Activated Node
    Toast is more of a medium, I'd say. An important carrier of hot butter, cheese or other things. Otherwise it's mostly harmless.

Nice guide! I've always been wondering about attack order. Was about to ask why'd you pick observatory before phase gate, but realized it's because of the mass recall thing.

So regarding those who want to play L4D2, just trying to tally it up, if I miss you please let me know, I know some people expressed interest on mumble but I've forgotten who.

Me
    Airtekh
    Kwis
    Pepper
    Davkaus

A few more and we could have a full team of 4v4 which would be really good.