Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 606
  1. #401
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,025
    note: bioshock 2 is about a dad and his daughter.

    also, ns2 sounds uncannily like gloom for quake 2.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    monochrom & verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

  2. #402
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,508
    Yes, and Tremulous.

    Also, just quoting for next page:

    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    So regarding those who want to play L4D2, just trying to tally it up, if I miss you please let me know, I know some people expressed interest on mumble but I've forgotten who.

    Me
    Airtekh
    Kwis
    Pepper
    Davkaus

    A few more and we could have a full team of 4v4 which would be really good.
    steam: sketch

  3. #403
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaeus
    So I actually got the dedicated server up and running. Don't know yet if it will survive the beating a gathered RPS team will bring, but maybe we can try Thursday?


    That sounds great! Trying the server out on Thursday sounds good, as the beating might not be as bad as on Sunday. Not sure if I can make it on Thrusday though. At least I'll be late.

    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    also, ns2 sounds uncannily like gloom for quake 2.
    Yeah, there's a lot of similarities, especially in the concepts. Gameplay is, imo, rather wildly different. NS games are much more focused, and the rts elements are considerably stronger.

    Although I have to admit it's been a billion years and tears in rain since I played gloom. But I do remember the facehugger class with some love.

    Sketch: I'm also up for some L4D2. It's been ages since I last played it, but I still have it installed.

    Also, I think toast is perfectly fine for what it is, but it cannot capture the fresh bread experience. Which to me is fairly core to the idea of bread.

    However, if there's no fresh bread, different heating techniques can be preferable to just plain old bread. For example a couple of days old white bread, putting it in a micro with e.g. a moist paper towel for cover, will allow the bread to soak some heated moisture into and turn it into an enjoyable warm bread. Easier than using the oven, can be done with a more dried up bread!

    Also, Felisc, thanks for the invitation link. The first match was very enjoyable to watch!

    Kwis: perhaps that could be re-posted on the Steam group page discussion thingy? Although, don't know if anyone reads that stuff. Anyhow, I thought those were good points, and it could be nice if we could present that easily to new interested players.

  4. #404
    Activated Node pilot13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    71
    Sketch, I'd like to play l4d2 as well at some point.
    Steam ID - Rammrool

  5. #405
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    879
    Ugh, I keep getting chomped as a marine, what is the best way to improve my aim? Its frustrating.

  6. #406
    Activated Node Alaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    35
    I've been experimenting with mouse sensitivity lately. Figured I want something rather low for marine and high for alien (skulk). What are you people using? Is there any way ingame to switch between sensitivities on the fly, or better yet automagically when switching races?

  7. #407
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    879
    I have a something in between for all classes. I can switch to low or high dpi on my mouse though. Might be a good solution?

  8. #408
    Activated Node Alaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    35
    Yeah my mouse (Steelseries Xai Laser) has a switch too, guess I could use it. Never really thought I'd see a use for it, so I forgot about it

  9. #409
    Activated Node pilot13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    Ugh, I keep getting chomped as a marine, what is the best way to improve my aim? Its frustrating.
    Holding back on firing unless you're dead certain you've got a skulk in your sights is the best way. I find the shotgun is actually pretty good if skulks are giving you a lot of hassle. If they don't have carapace and are within bite range, it's a one-shot kill I think. Because you only have 8 shells between reloads, it can help teach you to be patient for when you're toting a rifle or something.

    That's what I think anyway.
    Steam ID - Rammrool

  10. #410
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    879
    Well the problem is that once they are in bite range I die, pretty much always. Whilst I cannot achieve the same thing when I am a skulk. Hence that gives me a problem.

  11. #411
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,508
    Oh, sorry Ramrool, I didn't spot that you'd said you'd want to play earlier!

    Me
    Ramrool
    Olive
    Kwis
    Airtekh
    Pepper
    Davkaus

    Just 1 more and that'd be 4v4, though if more are interested it's possible to have larger servers/game modes with more than 8 players.
    steam: sketch

  12. #412
    Activated Node pilot13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Oh, sorry Ramrool, I didn't spot that you'd said you'd want to play earlier!

    Me
    Ramrool
    Olive
    Kwis
    Airtekh
    Pepper
    Davkaus

    Just 1 more and that'd be 4v4, though if more are interested it's possible to have larger servers/game modes with more than 8 players.
    That's ok, I won't hold it against you...much
    Steam ID - Rammrool

  13. #413
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,025
    how to improve your aim: play ps2! it has pretty good aim mechanics. if you succeed in that one, ns2 shouldn't be a problem ;D
    - Tom De Roeck.

    monochrom & verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

  14. #414
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    how to improve your aim: play ps2! it has pretty good aim mechanics. if you succeed in that one, ns2 shouldn't be a problem ;D
    You havent played NS2 much have you?

  15. #415
    Network Hub KwisatzHaderach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    You havent played NS2 much have you?
    I like you.

  16. #416
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,025


    Yeah, probably not.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    monochrom & verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

  17. #417
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    781
    Damnit, getting constantly pwned as a skulk. How the heck do you kill marines at all? I think there's some kind of latency problem on my end because i die in like half a second from marine fire. Another huge problem is: how the heck do you learn the maps? They're frickin' huge.

  18. #418
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,028
    As a skulk aim for the head or main body. Biting limbs does less damage. Jumping can throw their aim off as you are biting their face. One possible tactic is to evade until over half their clip is gone then get closer. They will run into a reload before they get enough if any hits on you. Use walls, ceilings to ambush. Same if you really have to get across a open room to get to a marine, use walls and ceiling.

    Fighting a skulk on top of you I find jumping while going back and stafing while aiming works out best. Not something easy if you are not as much of a twitchy player. When they approach you try to limit your fire until you are sure to hit them. Use bursts and wait until you have that shot lined up. Learn the rooms and try to keep the max distance between yourself and where you expect them to approach from.

  19. #419
    Network Hub KwisatzHaderach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Damnit, getting constantly pwned as a skulk. How the heck do you kill marines at all? I think there's some kind of latency problem on my end because i die in like half a second from marine fire. Another huge problem is: how the heck do you learn the maps? They're frickin' huge.
    Oh, hi hamster, I remember you from way back in the original NS2 thread.

    Have you read through the tips I posted a page ago? There are some points who cover Skulk-efficiency and might help you improve:

    -
    Play by sound
    Both as Alien as well as Marine. When building always listen for traitorous Skulk steps. When skulking around, listen for welding/building noises alerting you to a marine position.
    USE "WALK" AS A SKULK to avoid making noise and take your victim by surprise.

    -

    Keep your Skulk away from the ground
    Especially while attacking. Try to evade and dogde shots until the marine is forced to reload or switch weapon, then go in for the kill. Hunt in packs but spread out enough so Marines have to move their aim around and get confused.

    These are the most basic things to take to heart. Use walk (default: shift) alot. I usually hit the walk button every few seconds when in enemy territory, just to be alarmed to enemy presence by the sound of footsteps or building.

    Also, keep in mind that a Skulk is meant to be a scouting and ambushing unit. Knowing when to engage and when to waylay or retreat is crucial as a Skulk. There might be a problem with hitreg, as it is clientside I think, but from personal experience it shouldn't matter too much. You go down REALLY fast as a vanilla Skulk (without carapace) to upgraded marines.

    Now, when you are in biting range you need to aim your bites. Don't hold down attack. You want to land "full" bites, no glancing bites.
    When "leap" has been researched, use it to charge your first bite, then get out quickly by leaping behind cover. Some ppl have perfected this kind of hit&run by equipping Adrenaline instead of Celerity and leaping all over the place.

    Learning the maps is a tough one! Only time will help and using the map heaps. I still bring up the map every few seconds, not only to get orientation but also to know what's going on. Think of it as an RTS player and how much you use the map in that kind of game.
    Try to identify someone who knows his way around and just follow him, it's a good thing to hunt in packs anyway.

    Why don't you join us for a game or two tomorrow evening? I'm sure there's more tips in the RPSkulk basket for you. And bread!
    Last edited by KwisatzHaderach; 17-04-2013 at 03:07 PM.

  20. #420
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    Oh, hi hamster, I remember you from way back in the original NS2 thread.

    Have you read through the tips I posted a page ago? There are some points who cover Skulk-efficiency and might help you improve:

    -
    Play by sound
    Both as Alien as well as Marine. When building always listen for traitorous Skulk steps. When skulking around, listen for welding/building noises alerting you to a marine position.
    USE "WALK" AS A SKULK to avoid making noise and take your victim by surprise.

    -

    Keep your Skulk away from the ground
    Especially while attacking. Try to evade and dogde shots until the marine is forced to reload or switch weapon, then go in for the kill. Hunt in packs but spread out enough so Marines have to move their aim around and get confused.

    These are the most basic things to take to heart. Use walk (default: shift) alot. I usually hit the walk button every few seconds when in enemy territory, just to be alarmed to enemy presence by the sound of footsteps or building.

    Also, keep in mind that a Skulk is meant to be a scouting and ambushing unit. Knowing when to engage and when to waylay or retreat is crucial as a Skulk. There might be a problem with hitreg, as it is clientside I think, but from personal experience it shouldn't matter too much. You go down REALLY fast as a vanilla Skulk (without carapace) to upgraded marines.

    Now, when you are in biting range you need to aim your bites. Don't hold down attack. You want to land "full" bites, no glancing bites.
    When "leap" has been researched, use it to charge your first bite, then get out quickly by leaping behind cover. Some ppl have perfected this kind of hit&run by equipping Adrenaline instead of Celerity and leaping all over the place.

    Learning the maps is a tough one! Only time will help and using the map heaps. I still bring up the map every few seconds, not only to get orientation but also to know what's going on. Think of it as an RTS player and how much you use the map in that kind of game.
    Try to identify someone who knows his way around and just follow him, it's a good thing to hunt in packs anyway.

    Why don't you join us for a game or two tomorrow evening? I'm sure there's more tips in the RPSkulk basket for you. And bread!
    Hey, thanks for the tips. Would love to, but i think i'm in a different time zone. It's 10:30 pm right now where i am.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •