Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    ps2 is always busy. ;D
    Wasn't interested in stratgir even when I was maining vanu, so I'm not at a loss here :P
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I've been trying to train my dogs to be more Skulk like.

Thus far, progress is slow. I think they are more like Gorges.
    steam: sketch

Dude, you need to research Adrenalin ASAP!

lol, that pic is funny! At first glance I thought it was photoshopped. It must've taken you a long time to train them to take such mirror-symmetric sleeping positions.
    Btw, in southern Germany we have a saying: "Wie der Herr, so das G'scherr", which translates to "Like master like man". But But it could also translate to: "Like master like dog". Just thought you'd like to know...
    Last edited by KwisatzHaderach; 04-05-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    One specific thing that I have since Sunday:
    Playing marines, when is it a good time to destroy cysts? I noticed people sometimes killing them, sometimes running past.
    In my opinion, killing Cysts at the start is unbeliveably effective if you can hold a specific area.

Typically a Hive will have 2 exits .. if you can get marines to both of those keeping the cysts down, it's practically game over .. aliens can get out.. who cares .. but if their com can't place harvesters.. The only problem is you need marines to co-ordinate a bit to get it done right .. aswell as having good marines that can pick spots to take off the aliens

Think about it, if you can find a spot where an alien com has to cyst to get out where you can protect reasonably ..
    eg. Aliens are in Sub-Sector in veil .. system waypointing spring from start will stop them cold .. (you can keep the cysts out of overlook without going in.. you can spot them coming up the steps and just keep 1 cyst out.. )

or lets say they're in Shipping .. mesenine (if you can camp outside it near mesanine) + platform (bigass long corridor to use)

Each cyst costs 1 res .. and as was said, until cysts are fully grown they go down FAST

It's like flipping the coin on aliens .. Marines are expected to push with aliens ambushing them .. this way, you're forcing the aliens to come to you at a spot you pick

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I usually take em down when I see them being plopped down freshly and the enemy has a knowledge of my location anyway. It can also be used to draw away possible enemy reinforcements that may be attacking buddies. Its the marines way of the skulk harassing resource harvesters.

Balmark has a good point, although a force of aliens rushing past towards the marines spawn point can be disastrous, so you really shouldnt let any get out nor dedicate your full force to suppressing the cysts. A uncomfortable screwup early in game can lead to a premature end.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Felisc View Post
    Anyway, quick question : has gorge race thingy ever worked ? Do we want to try again ? Is it lunch already ? Do I see fresh gnocchis bought from the italian shop in my fridge ? Yes ? yum.
    I found a server that was running it and it worked! although the map was very small .. race lasted about 30 seconds and it was just myself and one other

basically, its a bit of fun, but needs alot of players so you can screw ppl up with clogs and friendly-fire spits
    but needs another map

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    although a force of aliens rushing past towards the marines spawn point can be disastrous, so you really shouldnt let any get out nor dedicate your full force to suppressing the cysts. A uncomfortable screwup early in game can lead to a premature end.
    Ah yeah for sure, but if you can get 2 people dedicated on trying to keep the cyst chain down outside their hives, the rest can do the rest

When a chain is unbroken, their com cant expand.. and his freshly dropped cysts will die further down the chain

Anyone who's comm'd as alien and has their expansion routes continously killed knows it's a pain in the ass, the com is just helpless

Although this is a starting tactic and if aliens can get together, they can nuke that 4 .. but that's stopping them killing marine extractors .. if the 4 can get back and keep them defending .. era it's something that'd work well on public servers
    Last edited by balmark; 04-05-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post

lol, that pic is funny! At first glance I thought it was photoshopped. It must've taken you a long time to train them to take such mirror-symmetric sleeping positions.
    Btw, in southern Germany we have a saying: "Wie der Herr, so das G'scherr", which translates to "Like master like man". But But it could also translate to: "Like master like dog". Just thought you'd like to know...
    They taught themselves! Stealing my space, the little buggers.

Hmm, seems to me you're just making up idioms to insult me with Kwis, though I should expect no less. You're jealous of our glorious flowing locks aren't you?!

Oh...right sorry to break up the on topic conversation.

Activated Node
    "Sådan herre, sådan hund!", as we say in Swedish.

Though is one guy per exit really enough? Two skulks ganging up should be able to take him down, unless the skill difference is quite large.

actually I think it means your flock, no?
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Had another enjoyable evening with you fine gentlemen. Terribly confused still, but this time, at least I found my way to the locations people were shouting about a couple of times, so I'm making progress! Shout is really the wrong word, which is very pleasant; I'm continually surprised and pleased by the relaxed attitude everyone has, so thanks again!

I'll be back, surely. Hope to see you next Thursday, this time in PS2! Wouldn't mind taking you guys for a spin in a context where I'm the one who feels at home.

Post game we pretty much agreed to join the PS2 bottom-elite this thursday.
    Will you squad lead us ? Will I have the right to call you Thane ?

Thane means servant you plonker.

I'd definitely be up for PS2 though!

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Thane means servant you plonker.
    Then what does plonker mean ya nong?!

PS2 on Thursday? Count me in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Sadly, I can't play long enough to adapt well to NS2, but actually having lot of fun playing with or against you, even if I'm being constantly murdered.
    Aliens really isn't my cup of tea most of the time, but might be able to adapt. Though my progression in games is mostly due to never giving up and playing more than talented people would need to learn the game.

On thursday I'll be hunting you down then in PS2 ^^
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Then what does plonker mean ya nong?!

PS2 on Thursday? Count me in.
    It means pillock, you wazzock! Sometimes you're such a dunderhead!

Bankrotas, I understand you not being comfortable with Aliens, it's odd and can be frustrating to waste res on a lifeform, especially when marines are so traditional by comparison. That said, with time I think Aliens become far more enjoyable. The speed and movement make marines seem a bit plain in comparison.

Worried by the lack of 'epic' games last night though! Good wins, but never close ones.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Felisc View Post
    Post game we pretty much agreed to join the PS2 bottom-elite this thursday.
    Will you squad lead us ? Will I have the right to call you Thane ?
    Yeah, I'd like that! I'm also the go-to guy for anything related to the Mumble setup we're using since I'm the one who configured it. That means I might need to hop out to take care of any emergencies that arise in that area. I'll just check with the rest of the gang what they plan on doing, to make sure that I'm not needed somewhere higher up in the hierarchy.

Activated Node
    I have been forgetting to join in on the NS2 nights lately, i'm going on a concert this thursday, so if i join in it will be very late.
    i should be availible on sunday tho!

the reason i've been forgetting is due to playing alot of Neverwinter and World of Tanks (and avoiding to study) :P

It means pillock, you wazzock! Sometimes you're such a dunderhead!
    Don't be such a dill and calm down, ya drongo; she'll be right! Being a dorb about it won't help anyone.

Bankrotas, I understand you not being comfortable with Aliens, it's odd and can be frustrating to waste res on a lifeform, especially when marines are so traditional by comparison. That said, with time I think Aliens become far more enjoyable. The speed and movement make marines seem a bit plain in comparison.
    I agree that aliens are more fun to play. There is way more variety suiting different play styles. As a marine you're kinda a jack-of-all-trades while as an alien you fill a very specific role.
    But the thing is, that alot of the marines arsenal is never researched because it is too niche and got too many drawbacks to be worth the cost. Just think about how often you see grenade launchers, flame throwers and exos. While exos kinda become important once onos hit the floor, the gl and ft are hardly ever researched because they are really bad in PvP situations. If you comm randoms there also is the danger of all of them getting those weapons which will loose you your game quickly.
    In most cases you're better off with just researching shotguns as they deal massive damage to both structures and players and you still got the pistol for long range engagements. Which is a shame really.

On the other hand, marines are more complex to play if you look beyond just simple moving/shooting mechanics. As any alien (except gorge maybe) you're pretty much self-reliant, because you either got the advantage of speed (skulk, lerk, fade) or you can soak bullets like a t-1000 (onos). As marines you have to rely on the team and even more so on your comm. If viewedd from a strategical angle, I think marines are much less traditional to play than aliens, because it much more plays like an RTS even as a grunt.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I'll just check with the rest of the gang what they plan on doing, to make sure that I'm not needed somewhere higher up in the hierarchy.
    What do you mean? Higher up than the Natural Skulk SpecOps Squad?!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Sorry I couldnt make it last night, I was out'n about celebrating freedom(liberation day from the germans in dutchyland).