Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felisc View Post
    Quick idea for next week : any interest in trying a few mods ? A silly map, maybe more. I haven't explored any mods so far, I'm quite curious to see how yummy they are.
    Could do, there's a bunch of interesting ones out there.

The Faded (based on Hidden:Source) where there's one invisible fade versus a bunch of marines.

Sanity is another interesting one, which adds a horror experience to the general NS2 game.

NS2 Combat is a mod based on the combat game mode in NS1. Basically it's the same as normal NS2, but it's a team deathmatch with the strategy element removed and a bit of levelling thrown in.

For new maps, we could try the beta versions of Caged and Eclipse, which are two classic NS1 maps remade in NS2. They don't have any textures, so they're all grey corridors, but the layouts are solid enough.

There are a few other maps around as well, but I can't vouch for their quality. I'd go by the rating they have in the steam workshop.

The only thing with these maps and mods is that you're restricted to whatever servers are running them, so there may not be many.

we had some nice come backs, victories
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Highlight of the evening for me was the epic marine comeback on Atrium, where we took down no less than six onos.
    One of them being Kwisatz. Serves him well for killing me 430983098 times.
    pff, you talking about that cheap as ARC winbutton match? That was so much just exploiting the broken game mechanics. The game is just unbalanced, marines get their super tanks and just blow everything into oblivion! This game sucks! You SUCK! I want my money back!!!

Oh, and you only killed me because I got stuck as an Onos! And the referee was totally biased towards marines!
    }:-P

Had a very good time last Sunday! When I got on monday night, it felt strange playing without a familiar group like the RPS-bunch!

Quick idea for next week : any interest in trying a few mods ? A silly map, maybe more. I haven't explored any mods so far, I'm quite curious to see how yummy they are.
    Sounds like a good idea! I've been trying out Eclipse just once and it was interesting playing on a different map for a change.
    So, if the big content update hasn't been released next sunday, I'm game.

Ok, this Sunday's event is now up on Steam.

I did a little research into possible mods/maps we could try and got mixed results. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are many servers running custom maps, which is a huge shame. We could check again on Sunday but it didn't look hopeful to me.

As for mods, there are a bunch of combat servers, and half of them are in Europe so we could check that out. The Faded mod has two servers, one in USA and one in France so we could look at that too.

There are one or two other mods that I didn't check out that also have active servers, they're called 'Last Resistance' and 'Forsaken'.

yeah i stumbled upon forsaken too this week.
    french mods ftw, as the forefathers said.

i also saw that NS2HD about a quake map remade in the natural selection 2 engine, but i'm unsure about how fun that would be. I've never tried combat so far...

I guess the Faded seems the most popular one so we could try that. Although if Airtekh or Kwis or Balmark gets to be the Fade I'll just sit in a corner firing permanently and cursing all of your moms. Basically I'll only play if Sketch gets to be the fade.

Had a great time checking out NS2 mods last night guys.

Combat was pretty fun, but The Faded was absolutely hilarious. When Sketch fell into the lava on Refinery I nearly fell out of my seat with laughter!

If anyone wants to try the actual Hidden: Source this week I'm up for giving it a go.

Yeah The Faded was great. It felt good laughing like that, hehe. It balances nicely the more "serious" aspect of the vanilla game.
    Sketch was perfect indeed as a last stand marine.

I can't say for sure I'd be available this week but if I see you guys online I'll try it. If I'm not mistaken I've seen Kwis trying that tonight (while I was playing a bit of SpecOps. I feel very "" after playing that).

The Faded strikes a nice balance between thriller and comedy (at least when Sketch is playing). Great mod! And to think it's still in Alpha...

Combat was actually better than I thought it would be. The upgrade system is pretty sophisticated and the balance seems to be okay. Got a bit spammy at some points but that's alright.

Yes, i "played" a few rounds of The Hidden tonight and I'm sorry to say that my experience wasn't very positive. That's most certainly not the games fault, or it's probably not the games fault since I didn't get to play very much. I was on three different servers and was teamkilled at the start of every round. On two servers the whole team continuosly killed itself, on the other I was the only victim (they probably had a private game going, but didn't respond to my texts).

Anyway, tonight is only a small sample size and if we get a bunch of RPS'lers going at some point I'd be happy to make a fresh start.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Well I'm glad it's so entertaining to have me die :'(

Faded was great, had a fun time playing. Will definitely be around for some more and would happily give The Hidden a go. I think Kwis' experience is probably unfortunate although demonstrates the need to have people you know playing. I think Hidden would possibly be more balanced, though I haven't played in quite a while.
    steam: sketch

ahem... *yaaaaaaay* next week is indeed a week off for me... so sunday evening i'll be playing until ... mmh... friday evening. that's right.
    can't wait to munch and jetpack away.

ahem... *yaaaaaaay* next week is indeed a week off for me... so sunday evening i'll be playing until ... mmh... friday evening. that's right.
    can't wait to munch and jetpack away.
    Happy to hear! By the end of friday evening you'll probably look like your avatar though.

I'm not sure if I can make it tonight since two of my boys are down with the flu and my sleeping pattern has got more holes than a swiss cheese...

In case I'll pass out into a contemporary coma by 8 PM, I'll have a The Faded server setup before that if any of you feels like playing that. Password will be "horace". I'll also try to get the mod running with some combat maps as I think their size would be better suited for this game mode.

The guy who mods Faded/Hidden has released a pretty sweet update too, including just the kind of ranged weapon dor the fade we had the feeling was missing:

"New update, yay!

Added GUI help for leap, wall grip, alien vision and marine buy menu
    Added a ranged weapon (called acid rocket, but is currently bile bomb with more acceleration) for the Fade
    Updated the Fade health/armor scale which starts now at 6 players down from 8 players
    Updated the marine player score which gives now 100 points for a kill and points for kill assists based on the damage done (all dmg done / 100 * damage done)
    Updated the energy regeneration rate of the Fade to 0.7, up from 0.5
    Updated the flamethrower which now burns the Fade only for 1 second, down from 6 seconds
    Updated the marine buy menu, which now gives the marine his weapon and equipment, if the game has just recently started (8 seconds)"

Original thread: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...den-mod#latest

Hope to see you all tonight!
    Last edited by KwisatzHaderach; 03-02-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Well, I now have a mouse! Which is progress. I'm available most evenings if people want to play, I'm quite keen as I missed out last sunday : (

Nevermind.
    Last edited by KwisatzHaderach; 07-02-2013 at 07:23 PM.

No, really it's ok...
    Last edited by KwisatzHaderach; 07-02-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Well, I now have a mouse! Which is progress. I'm available most evenings if people want to play, I'm quite keen as I missed out last sunday : (
    Oh noes! I composed a witty and substantial post, only to have it autoadmined (apparently a very silly and draconian way of spam protecting these forums). It is now in limbo until Jim takes the time to approve of it...

Since I can't be bear to go through the pains of it's creation again, here is an index of the points it covered:
    - compliments to sketch for aquisition of mouse; inquiry concerning the model
    - informing fellow RPSers that I'll be up and playing NS2 tomorrow night (Thursday) --> maybe have a little gathering?
    - pommies(a huge insult to Irishmen, I guess), froglovers, preconceptions and the genuine German sense of humour
    - apologies for my abrupt disappearance last sunday night
    - suggestion to promote our little group during launch of the big content update to acquire fresh members

Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    Indeed. Also hooray!

- informing fellow RPSers that I'll be up and playing NS2 tomorrow night (Thursday) --> maybe have a little gathering?
    Affirmative. I should be around, after being sick the last two days.

- pommies(a huge insult to Irishmen, I guess), froglovers, preconceptions and the genuine German sense of humour
    Pom is Australian slang for English people no? I'm sure the Aussies love the Irish.

- apologies for my abrupt disappearance last sunday night
    No worries. We most certainly did not carry on talking about you behind your back. No sir.

- suggestion to promote our little group during launch of the big content update to acquire fresh members
    I am ready to pounce as soon as a post mentioning NS2 appears on the front page of RPS.

I'll be eating homemade pizzas and drinking wine at a friend's place on thursday. so no ns2 for me :/
    but, hey... pizza !

yeah we'll have to find a way of poking other rpsers with a stick so they join us.

I went for the G400! It looks almost the same as the G5, but it has a 400 after it so it must be exactly 80 times better. That's how these things work, right?

I would be up for playing today, but I see both airtekh and He Who Shall Not be Name are both awol. They clearly are not commited enough, and I suggest thorough beatings to be applied.

We got plugged on the front page of RPS, so hooray for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    I would be up for playing today, but I see both airtekh and He Who Shall Not be Name are both awol. They clearly are not commited enough, and I suggest thorough beatings to be applied.
    Au contraire, Mr. fancy-new-mouse, myself and Kwis enjoyed stomping Marine face all over Summit last night, and you were nowhere to be seen.

The beatings shall be redirected forthwith.

We got plugged on the front page of RPS, so hooray for that.
    And only two days after I mentioned the need to promote our group and Jim had to admin my thread...
    Quelle surprise!

n
    Au contraire, Mr. fancy-new-mouse, myself and Kwis enjoyed stomping Marine face all over Summit last night, and you were nowhere to be seen.

The beatings shall be redirected forthwith.
    No! As honorary beatings commisioner I have to call your attention to beatings rule #1: one who calls for a beating may not be beaten himself. In case someone redirects the beating under false pretense he shall be beaten twice as hard!

I'm really sorry airtekh! I HAD to side with Sketch on this. He's got the same mouse as I have...

I just joined up, hopefully I can make it on Sunday. Would be cool to have a group of esteemed gentlemen to shoot with/at again.

Also, this thread lacks Gorge fan art.

Last edited by eRa; 09-02-2013 at 12:58 AM.