Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    One other thing: with the upcoming content there will (hopefully) be a decent amount of newbs. Should we feel bad for stacking, now that we're awesome vet players?

I'll be on tomorrow night btw.
    Well, ideally we would be playing with all RPS people, so we wouldn't have to worry about that problem.

I don't think you should be too concerned, we usually end up on opposite teams anyway. It's the rare game where we actually manage to get on the same team.

I should be on tomorrow as well, I only hope that 'Thursday 28th' doesn't turn out to be 6pm PST, so we get the update in the early hours of Friday morning.

By the way, if RPS does post about this tomorrow, and you guys beat me to the comment section, make sure you put in a link to this forum thread; it makes it easier for people to find.

Network Hub
    Nice vid Sketch

I never realised before how much I say 'guys' .. for anyone wondering 'wtf' was going on with the lack of healing crags and carapace in last 1/3.. we lost our Crag hive twice (first at 24min+) .. first time it was Departures, then Locker, didn't have time to get carapace up again (I should have had a backup carapace shell somewhere else )

Was nice play by you lads, was impressed how you survived as onos without any upgrades

Hoping to be on tomorrow for the Gorgeous release

Gorgeous trailer released and it's... well, gorgeous: http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/gorgeous-trailer-released/

There's also a map with release times for the different time zones. For the poms it will be 11PM for us continetal folks it will be 00:00! Probably a little too late for me... Bugger!

I'll see, if I can make it on friday instead today; I really want to indulge in the update. I'll let you know.

edit: also: 50% Steam sale
    Last edited by KwisatzHaderach; 28-02-2013 at 07:46 AM.

trailer is great indeed. Can't wait to play the new map ! Also that railgun looks super powerful, but good luck hitting a running skulk with it !
    Midnight is too late indeed and I'm not sure I'm available friday evening... If anything I'll sink my teeth in this update with you guys on sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    I should be on tomorrow as well, I only hope that 'Thursday 28th' doesn't turn out to be 6pm PST, so we get the update in the early hours of Friday morning.
    There's also a map with release times for the different time zones. For the poms it will be 11PM for us continetal folks it will be 00:00! Probably a little too late for me... Bugger!
    FFFFFUUU-. I bloody knew it.

I might not be around Friday to try out the new update, we'll definitely check it out on Sunday though.

I'll be around tonight if anyone wants a pre-patch game or two.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I can play tonight too.

I can play every night...: (
    steam: sketch

Mhh... I won't have time tomorrow. So, we can either have some games tonight before the patch breaks everything, or we could go out of our way and maybe play a few rounds of BF3? What say you?

@airtekh
    concerning that mic cut off: I noticed it also when Felisc or I spoke. I suspect it's a connection problem, but I will watch my mic-finger more carefully the next time I play. Might be a bad and widespread habit after all...
    Also, it got a lot better later in the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I have own the game for a while now, but every match for me is just going around rambo style while someone with a really thick accent and a budget microphone tries to communicate incomprehensible orders

I'll try one of this days with Mumble and the RPS group, but no promises.

Obscure Node
    I've been wanting to give this a try but was put off by the apparently steep learning curve. I'm going to pick this up on sale today and hopefully you guys don't mind a newbie tagging along on Sunday evening.

Don't worry the learning curve isn't actually as bad as you think and you can get quite nicely caught up in the flow of things. Plus you can ask any questions in Mumble or whatever. Really don't worry about being a newb, some of us who've been playing since the group started still aren't very good! (me)

Plus we'll all be part-newbs again because of the new update.

I bought this last week on the strength of the ramblings in here (after seeing the vid etc), game had prior to that completely passed me by.
    It's accessible and fun, even playing in pug's I thought, I liked the 'rookie friendly' tag on servers, which hinted that I wouldn't be shouted at by grizzled hard core players.

I don't really 'get' the talk of steep learning curve though? I watched the vids, played a few matches, seemed really straight forward to me. I guess it relate more to being a commander? I don't fancy that at all to be honest, so have not really paid much attention to that side of the game. But it's really excellent taking objectives from a decent commander.

So I'll probably join in on sunday!

Welcome to the new ppl!

@Warble
    As Sketch said, don't worry we're a mixed crowd when it comes to in-game experience with some vets and totally new players as well. I, for my part, would be glad to pass on the knowledge of NS2 as it has been passed onto me by my forefathers . And I say it again: once we get a server full, we'll be able to have relaxed matches where everyone can find his stride and trait without fear of being called a '*_?'#!!!!!

@Zapt
    I have to say, it took me a few dekahours to grasp what I REALLY had to do to play efficiently for a win. Sure the basic mechanics, weapons and lifeform attacks and so forth aren't rocket science. But knowing when to be where, using the map correctly to see threads or possibilities coming from a distance, reacting to the weapons/upgrades/traits of your opponents appropriately and keeping track of what your team and comm are doing at all times took a long time. Actually, I'm still making alot of mistakes when it comes to this sort of thing. Of course that could be due to me being slow and having not played any RTS in ages (I think Dune 2000 was the last one). Learning the maps took me forever too. (Damn, just had a look at Descent; this map is a beautiful as it is complex).

Seeing your avatar I had to think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK5CTd0OVLw

After 50 hours of NS2, I still have to press C every 3 nanoseconds when playing as a skulk. I should really try to learn the vents once and for all, one of these days.
    Oh and, welcome guys !

So I finally got myself an RPS forum account to get to know you fine ladies and gentlemen in this classiest of groups. Also because I love NS2. Bought the game pre-alpha (yay, black armor!) and have been playing from time to time ever since. The latest content update renewed my interest in the game though, and if I can play with a group of regulars, then why not?

Although I'm not the most experienced of players, I listen well and can take instructions. Looking forward to learning from you all.

Cheers from Sweden!

Welcome to the new ppl!

@Zapt
    I have to say, it took me a few dekahours to grasp what I REALLY had to do to play efficiently for a win. Sure the basic mechanics, weapons and lifeform attacks and so forth aren't rocket science. But knowing when to be where, using the map correctly to see threads or possibilities coming from a distance, reacting to the weapons/upgrades/traits of your opponents appropriately and keeping track of what your team and comm are doing at all times took a long time. Actually, I'm still making alot of mistakes when it comes to this sort of thing. Of course that could be due to me being slow and having not played any RTS in ages (I think Dune 2000 was the last one). Learning the maps took me forever too. (Damn, just had a look at Descent; this map is a beautiful as it is complex).

Seeing your avatar I had to think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK5CTd0OVLw

As I kind of suspected, there is more to this than running around and shooting at everything that moves
    I must have been lucky with commanders, as up to now I've been told precisely what to do and where to go, and I'm pretty happy with that!

Hello to all the new people!

Don't worry about the learning curve, just think of it as a shooter and the rest will come later. If we get enough people on Sunday, then perhaps we could do a little tutorial session or something.

Also, if you have any questions about the gameplay and stuff, then just ask us, either here or in mumble. A few of us have been playing the game since release or even during beta, so we know the game pretty much inside out (well, except for the new toys like railguns, gorge tunnels and babblers).

Do please join Mumble on Sunday (instructions on the front post of this thread), if doesn't matter if you don't have a microphone - you can mute yourself to let us know you can't speak - just connect so you can listen to the glorious banter between Felisc and Sketch.

Also join the steam chat too; it allows you to easily join whichever server we're playing on.

The most we've ever had at an RPS session is eight people, hopefully we can break that on Sunday. See you all there!
    Last edited by airtekh; 02-03-2013 at 01:03 PM.

I'll try to be there Sunday. Might not be able to stay for long though.

No problem. Good to have some new players incoming, we don't bite! Well, Felisc might. He's quite feral, but I do my best.

Great session tonight !
    So much people, thanks to all the newcomers who came and played with us.
    Hopefully I wasn't too chatty on mumble, I tend to talk quite a lot during the ns2 nights. Don't hesitate to tell me to zip it, next week.
    I discovered my love for the fade during the Faded session, I should definitely use it more in the vanilla game sessions.
    I still feel guilty about that round of shotgun, sketch. sorry.

So yeah, overall great session, lots of fun. We should try to find a way to use the gorge tunnels next time. I was too scared to build one and just stupidly lead the marines to our base.

Edit : Oh and by the way, I'm pretty certain this was our 10th RPS NS2 session ! yay ! When we get to 50 I'll send everyone some cyber champagne.
    Last edited by Felisc; 04-03-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Absolutely fantastic turnout for Sunday. So many people showed up that I actually lost track of how many we had.

Hopefully you guys enjoyed yourselves.

Sorry if I sounded a bit exasperated when I was commanding you guys on Descent. I'm not a great commander and I don't get a lot of enjoyment out of it. My brain is hardwired for the FPS part of NS2 unfortunately!