Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    What an immensely delightful Sunday evening session! I hope the newcomers had as much fun as I had. Descent looks to be a map with huge strategical depth and the new toys and changes are a fitting and mostly balanced addition to the game. I'm loving the gorgeous update!

Playing Marine Swarm on the Faded was fun too, although, I must say, I'm completely hooked on regular games atm. Also commanding aliens yesterday night was a blast! I can recommend it to everyone who feels confident enough; it's a whole different kind of game really. I'm sorry airtekh, it was so distressing for you, but I still think you're a good comm, remembering those ancient RPS sessions where you led us to victory...

Also hilarious to have a fellow RPSler living down the road. Maybe we should met sometime for a medpack or a nice pack of ammo?...

I'm sad that I could not stay for longer. First, I had some computer issues and missed the beginning, and then I had to leave early because my work hours are, well, not really compatible with late night gaming.

Personally, it would be better if we got games going at 20 CET or maybe even earlier, but I know that picking a time that suits everyone is extremely difficult if not impossible. I'll adapt, somehow

Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
    I'm sorry airtekh, it was so distressing for you, but I still think you're a good comm, remembering those ancient RPS sessions where you led us to victory...
    Yeah, I think I'm on a 7 or 8 game losing streak as commander now. Not great for morale.

I think the biggest source of my stress was the actual map. I didn't know where any of the resource points were and felt stupid ordering my troops to rooms where there wasn't one.

Our little 'tutorial' aside, I still haven't played a round on Descent as an actual marine or skulk yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaeus View Post
    Personally, it would be better if we got games going at 20 CET or maybe even earlier, but I know that picking a time that suits everyone is extremely difficult if not impossible. I'll adapt, somehow
    Well, there's nothing to stop me starting the event at 7pm GMT (8pm CET).

If other people have no objections with it, then some of you guys can get started early. I personally wouldn't be able to make it at seven, but I would join whenever I'm able to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaeus View Post
    I'm sad that I could not stay for longer. First, I had some computer issues and missed the beginning, and then I had to leave early because my work hours are, well, not really compatible with late night gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Well, there's nothing to stop me starting the event at 7pm GMT (8pm CET).

If other people have no objections with it, then some of you guys can get started early. I personally wouldn't be able to make it at seven, but I would join whenever I'm able to play.
    Theoretically I could play from 6pm UTC, but I hardly ever make it that early. 7pm UTC is more realistic and I wouldn't mind starting at that hour. I usually keep the time between 7pm and 8pm reserved for other games (Brütal Legend, hell yeah!) but overall these can wait since NS2 brings me more joy than any other game atm.

There's no harm in starting early and ppl joining up over time, is there? So, I'll be on mumble earlier next time and see what happens.

Obscure Node
    I missed the game this week, is Sunday the only scheduled day everyone plays? I saw that you sometimes play on Thursdays if there are the people available.

Obscure Node
    It was a lot of fun yesterday. Unfortunately I only had time for one match, so next time a start at 8 pm CET would be great .
    And thanks everybody for tolerating the newbies. It was my first weekend with NS2 and the game has quite a steep learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Warble View Post
    I missed the game this week, is Sunday the only scheduled day everyone plays? I saw that you sometimes play on Thursdays if there are the people available.
    Yes, that is true. Recently we've been having the odd game on a Thursday as well, since some of our regular players are free for NS2 at that time.

I will schedule Thursday and Sunday for 7pm GMT this week on steam, and see what sort of turnout we get.

Quote Originally Posted by Hameroc View Post
    And thanks everybody for tolerating the newbies. It was my first weekend with NS2 and the game has quite a steep learning curve.
    Yeah, I was a bit amazed by the amount of people that showed up, to be honest. I was constantly switching between the game and steam chat giving people info on Mumble and passwords and other stuff.

We actually didn't plan anything particular for that 'tutorial' session, so I'm not sure how much you guys actually learned from it. Sorry if it was a bit lacklustre.

Don't forget about 'Explore Mode', (go to Training > Explore Mode in the main menu). It's a good way of learning parts of the game without the stress of an actual game.
    Last edited by airtekh; 04-03-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Something that I noticed in the comments on the recent RPS articles is that there seems to be a number of NA and also some SA players in this group here. While you can get pings under 200 when you live on the east coast and play on European servers, I would figure that's still too high to be enjoyable; not to speak of the undue hours we play on sundays.
    So, with over 150 ppl in the steam group, I was wondering why there is no spokesperson for the American community. I'm just throwing this in, because I'm curious to see if there might be some responses that would indicate the American communtiy here is stronger than I thought and just needs to get itself organized.

So, ye, speak up if you're from the new world and want to spread some RPSkulk greatness to your people!

Activated Node
    Had a lot of fun! Great players, a joy to command. Not my first time commanding, but I don't have much knowledge when it comes to best practice, so great to be able to ask the team.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Shall we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?
    steam: sketch

I put an event up for today at 7pm, so hopefully we'll see some returnees from Sunday.

I probably won't be there for 7, but I will show up when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Shall we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?
    Never doubt.

I will try to be on at 7pm UTC. I'm afraid I'll have to go afk quite alot tonight though. Kids are sick again...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    No problem. I'll be on in 10 or so.
    steam: sketch

A pleasant set of games for Thursday. We had our highest number of players for a Thursday session so far.

My losing streak as commander continues with no signs of stopping. Think I'm up to ten in a row now.

Amazingly, we were graced by the presence of an actual NS2 developer who joined RPSkulk in our mumble chat and played a few games with us! Hope we left a good impression.

Hey,

Had fun tonight, was a pretty good few games we played.

For some reason though on the first game/map loaded I play my framerate drops heavily, so thats why i did so bad in those first couple games on descent before we switched servers. Honest! Though I'm not sure why.

Next time I'll try and get on a bit early and have it work through that stuff before i join you guys.

Hope I didn't natter too much!

<--Rammrool btw

I have a reliable and fast net connection (100 Mb/s fibre, located in Stockholm, Sweden) and should have some semi-old hardware being lazy in some wardrobe somewhere. Want me to set up a dedicated server for our group to gather at? Might take some load off of Kwis' rig

Some fun games we had yesterday night. And also welcome to the newbs :-p

@Alaeus
    I personally don't have a problem with hosting and playing on the same machine, it seems potent enough to take the beatings. I do get the occasional stutter, but usually things are running smooth on my end. Yet, Sweden is pretty central and we might get better pings if you host there. Also, I know nothing about running a server, console commands for map rotations and all, so you might be able to provide a less noobish server. Plus it's always good to have more than one server, as I won't be able to join every session in the future.

So, I'd say yes, get the dust off those parts and set them up.

Some fun games tonight, cya the next day for more

I must practice being commander a few times before then and give it a go. Feel bad not giving it a try!

I don't regret trying the command chair for a few games tonight. It was good practice and I didn't get chewed out by my team. Instead, they kinda... won. Cheers! Also feel I'm getting to know the shotgun a bit better. My skulk still needs work, though. Great fun, all of the games!

I'll try to set up the server tomorrow, [insert god of choice here] willing the hardware isn't too ancient.

Great last game we had tonight. Quite intense I must say !
    (and congrats to Plasticman for being a uber lethal fade. and to airtekh for being very mean).
    I on the other hand will stay away from that commanding chair for a while. I was going from one place of the map to another, being useless in every corners and not knowing what to do with my ressources ... :/ I did enjoy it but I have absolutely 0 ideas for tactics. They should add a Mighty cannon satellite so I can pulverize fades immediately with a click of the mouse.

Anyway, really happy that the group grew to a healthy 10-ish people, great to be able to play with all you guys.