Thread: World of Tanks

World of Tanks

So does anyone still play? I know I quit a bit before the French tanks update but I see that the Brits have had theirs included.

Talk to me about it, is it worth losing my life in again or is it still a grind with a shitty matchmaker?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    So does anyone still play? I know I quit a bit before the French tanks update but I see that the Brits have had theirs included.

Talk to me about it, is it worth losing my life in again or is it still a grind with a shitty matchmaker?
    The matchmaking now is only a tier 2 spread, so you will be able to damage every tank in a match..

They're adding in a month also the Chinese (copies of other tanks mostly), and already added american autoloaders (plus the french lights/mediums are much fun)

Every once in a while I play for two weeks. It sure is a grind if you're aiming for some "endgame", but that's stupid to begin with. Don't play unless you enjoy playing. Goes for every game.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Still a grind with shitty matchmaker, I wouldn't play it if it wasn't for my best friend's reluctance to play anything else buuuut they did make a few nice changes recently.

They added physics, so now you can fall of cliffs, drift, push others around - it's much more entertaining.
    I hadn't played with British tanks a lot so I don't have an opinion on them but the French are fantastic. The have paper thin armour, but are fast and have heavy hitting guns with autoloaders, which allow you to shoot 5 to 6 times in quick succession before having to reload.
    I'm not sure when was it added because I discovered it recently, you can now mute any player.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I still play it quite a lot. I keep sort of going off it a bit, but whenever I play any other MMO I suddenly get back into it when I realise how much more fun I find it than pretty much any other game at the moment.

But then again I remain in a good clan with plenty of people to play with, so my battles are generally 3vs27 instead of 1vs29, that makes random battles a whole lot more fun.

If you quit before the French tanks were added you've missed a whole lot. Physics (huge change there), improved matchmaking, many new tanks (protip: expect disappointment from the British line), a load of new maps, TD and medium lines extended to tier 10.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    I haven't played in months (haven't seen physics or the new matchmaking or anything), but I just bought more garage slots anyway...

WoT somehow sticks in my mind as something pleasant I /could/ do and I still watch videos about it on Youtube regularly too, I just don't get around to playing it. I'm sure I will, though.

Network Hub
    After almost two decades of PC multiplayer gaming I have to give props to WoT for being pretty much perfect.

People bitch about it's matchmaking but frankly I've only seen a few dozen badly matched battles in the many hundreds I have played in WoT over the years, and it has got steadily better.

Most importantly most multiplayer games have utterly miserable server browsers that would have been embarrassing back in the All Seeing Eye/GameSpy days... (I'm looking at you ARMA2). WoT just... works and should be applauded for the fact that after you click Battle! you are watching the starting countdown timer a few seconds later. I can't remember the last connection lost or server full bullshit disconnect message in WoT...

My twopennthworth.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDigritz View Post
    People bitch about it's matchmaking but frankly I've only seen a few dozen badly matched battles in the many hundreds I have played in WoT over the years, and it has got steadily better.
    I did think that, especially with my KV-1, I got far too many matches where I could barely damage 3/4s of the tanks on the enemy team while they could kill me very quickly. That ended up getting a bit too tedious (especially because the KV-1 is both slow and large, so often you can't do so much else than try to snipe or slug it out), so I was glad to see they made adjustments to the matchmaking.

I did play some 2600 matches in a couple of months, so maybe it got more obvious because of that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I got back into it, it's a lot of fun and a good way for me to get my multiplayer shooting fix (I'm bad at twitch shooters). The new physics make the game a whole lot more interesting and completely change some of the maps, where previously barred routes become accessible to some tanks.

My main issue with the grind is that many tanks are absolutely terrible when you first unlock them, and you need to use them in this state for some time in order to research new guns and engines and make them effective. I don't mind having to get 100000 exp to unlock the next tank because I'll be having fun with the current one by that point.

The biggest problem people run into with matchmaking is simply a lack of experience. Initially most tanks are very similar to each other, when everyone's in a light tank with small guns and similar hitpoints they can get in close and engage each other like heavy tanks do at higher tiers. But when you get your first match where you're in a tier 4 tank against tier 6s it can come as a shock. It requires you to change your play style and learn new tactics, but when you get it right you can actually earn a lot more experience, as its adjusted for relative tiers (so a tier 4 tank doing 100 damage to a tier 6 earns more experience than a tier 6 tank doing the same).

The other problem is also unfortunately one that afflicts new players the most, in that some tanks are simply not effective against higher tiers. The french tree is especially prone to this, with a number of slow, poorly armed tanks that have relatively thick armour. This makes them very tough opponents for tanks of the same or lower tier, but when they're thrown into higher tier battles they become laughably easy targets that can't deal any damage head on and don't have the speed required to flank enemies. Though this problem largely disappears from tier 5 onwards, it can be a big turn off for new players.