Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Explain to me...

...the appeal of platformers. I don't get it. Sure I enjoyed Blackthorne and Flashback and Prince of Persia, but we didn't have anything else back then. The gazillion physics based indie platformers that came out this year make me think there's an audience for them still. Why? Who? They are so limited. (It's a genuine question, I don't understand.)

Also feel free to share your own Explain to me...
    Read more here (On hold) or on Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I feel exactly the same where platformers are concerned. With all the possibilities offered by modern gaming engines, I cannot imagine going back to platformers as my primary gaming entertainment. There are simply too many other possibilities out there for me to go back to so limited a genre of games now.

As for my own Explain to Me...

Open World games. Not trolling. Not judging. Actually curious how people find it in them to enjoy the monotony of open world games. Its an endless line of errand running, and little more. And the very open nature of the game means you're always getting ambushed by enemies, or finding them in positions in which they are entrenched while you are alone and exposed. Curious how and why people find this fun.

I'm not a big fan of platformers, having neither the skill required, nor the tolerance of screwing up a physical thing in a game over and over again that is needed to develop the skill. (I don't mind as much screwing up because I've failed to see the logic.) However, I still sometimes buy a platformer, either for the plot if there is one, or if the graphics / movement look lovely, as with Dustforce (I haven't bought it, but it's on my list). I guess that satisfying movement is something you can only get from certain kinds of game. In contrast, I never buy tower defence games, because I have decided that no graphics or engaging setting can save them from becoming drudgery, purely as a personal thing.

I've enjoyed what I've played so far of Adventures of Shuggy, although I'm nowhere near the end (partly the physical skill thing kicking in) because that's as much about puzzles as it is about getting the jump and the timing dead on. I guess it isn't surprising that the way to make people who don't play platformers pick up platform games is to mix in other genres.

Don't know if that helps.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I grew up on them, but they don't interest me much anymore. The last side-scrolling thing I really enjoyed was Aquaria.

Banned
    Well, most platformers are bad, especially the indie ones.
    Aquaria is good, Abe's Oddysee, Super Meat Boy if you're into arcade. Abuse is interesting, but not a platformer in the classic sense. Cave Story(not plus) if you can stomach it. You probably can.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Not sure myself but Limbo was very good.

...thread title reminds me of that dramatic reading of a flash game review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Limbo is on the edge really. I played through it and consider it more a puzzle adventure than platformer. Not sure why.
    Read more here (On hold) or on Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    There is a market indeed, but it's over-exploited. I don't know if they're simply easy to develop or if everyone is after the money and success that Braid enjoyed, but there are just way too many.

You realise describing the format as limited is pretty much issuing a challenge to game designers and now we're going to get even more of them

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    The gazillion physics based indie platformers that came out this year make me think there's an audience for them still. Why? Who? They are so limited. (It's a genuine question, I don't understand.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    With all the possibilities offered by modern gaming engines, I cannot imagine going back to platformers as my primary gaming entertainment.
    Not everything has to be complicated.

Also, they're easy to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Open World games. Not trolling. Not judging. Actually curious how people find it in them to enjoy the monotony of open world games. Its an endless line of errand running, and little more.
    Play co-op. Suddenly it isn't so monotonous.

Also, most of what I do in strategy/builder games is balance a spreadsheet. And yet so many hours have been spent doing just that.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I like platformers done well, but lately we've had a glut of them because mechanically they're simple to make and you can leverage your crappy indie art game off of fond memories of Mario Brothers or something. Although they're mechanically simple they're hard to get right, and few of them manage that. Like Rauten said a few of them managed to achieve success by finding a niche - Braid had a story (though I don't think it was a particularly good one) while Super Meat Boy was just Nintendo Hard (which by itself I also don't think is notable). The art genre in gaming is still in its infancy, so it's easy to get recognised no matter how piss-poor your effort.

Explain to me... why AAA automatically equals bad and indie automatically equals good lately. I see this attitude quite a bit on the forums where many AAA games are treated with disdain or at least a heavy dose of suspicion well before release while indie games get the complete opposite treatment. Are people just that jaded or is it like a new-wave "cool to hate AAA" thing that I just don't get?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Try Spelunky. It's a free download. Levels are randomly generated and the results are very pleasing. Difficulty level is quite high, and the game rewards cautious and thoughtful play. You can blow traps, enemies or walls. You can spend a rope to go around them. You can thrown stones and other objects in front of arrow traps to trigger them. There are many combinations, some not really intuitive. And it can get frantic when you're juggling your weapon, a key, and a damsel... in a dark level !
    This is a good demontration of level one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJPIFKSkuT8

Download here:
    http://www.spelunkyworld.com/

Now you can also pay for a version with blurry graphics.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Explain to me... why AAA automatically equals bad and indie automatically equals good lately. I see this attitude quite a bit on the forums where many AAA games are treated with disdain or at least a heavy dose of suspicion well before release while indie games get the complete opposite treatment. Are people just that jaded or is it like a new-wave "cool to hate AAA" thing that I just don't get?
    When you define yourself by your consumer tastes, liking popular stuff means that you're giving up a chance at crafting an identity. However, you end up liking popular stuff anyway, but since you don't have the self-respect and personal fortitude to have a personality, either you have to develop different reasons for liking popular stuff than most, or you make an explicit point to make sure the popular stuff you like is in a different section of the store than the popular stuff they like.

When I grew up, "Alternative" was very popular. But its adherents were very adamant that no matter how popular - no matter how many charts were topped by their music - it should never be put in the "Pop" section, lest they all suddenly wear polo shirts and khakis instead of ripped jeans and open plaid shirts.
    Last edited by Nalano; 01-01-2013 at 12:47 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Jumpin' makes me feel good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    while Super Meat Boy was just Nintendo Hard (which by itself I also don't think is notable).
    Super Meat Boy worked because it was Nintendo Hard in the trappings of contemporary technical features; instant restarts, saved progress, more things operating on their own (AI) etc. So I suppose you're right, but it's notable that it did that one thing really well because it had the subtle backing of other things. It helped that the controls, art style, soundtrack and most other things about it were done brilliantly.

The appeal of platformers is challenge. Can you beat the obstacles the designer put in your way in this given play environment and the tools at your disposal? That's the basic gist of it. Some people simply like that challenege. I'm one of them. I think that platformers have evolved considerably from being simply running and jumping too, with some of the examples given so far. Take modern Sonic too; for better or worse, it is more about learning routes and attempting to perfect them in as quick a time as possible. The challenge of beating the level is only initial, it's how well you can beat it that becomes important later on.