Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Activated Node

TOME4 - most addictive RPG I've ever played

Actually it's more of a roguelike, but it has a story and some other more RPGish elements. Also some rudimentary but fitting graphics (not ASCII)I've played this game probably around ~300 hours and have yet to make it past level 30 (normally you'll end up 45-50 to finish, though I've never seen the ending) It's very challenging, but very fair and very intuitive too. It has a great tutorial that explains the fairly complex gameplay well, and has tooltips for practically everything, and a just a great interface all around. Frankly it has one of the best interfaces I've seen in any game. It also has a built in chat in-game which is helpful so you can ask questions without having to go to the forums.

It's hard to explain why it's so fun, but it's a combination of really satisfying turn based combat, "loot drop", and an enormous variety of monsters to slay, weapons to loot, and classes, skills and spells to choose from. Combine that with permadeath which I think makes any gaming experience much more edge-of-your seat and it's just one of the best games I've ever played. (though the "standard" mode gives you about 7 lives over 50 levels spread out, even with that though you're unlikely to make it out of even the beginning dungeons your first few outings)

The class design is really one of the high points though. "Solipsists" that can invade an enemy's dreams and attack their mind directly (basically it throws you into a battle in said enemy's subconscious), chronomancers that can manipulate the flow of time (among other things you can split a time thread and then choose what result you want after playing each thread separately), shadow blades that can phase through walls and animate their own shadows to do their killing for them. Anyways, a lot of very creative stuff. In all there's something like 20 classes total.T

There's also a total absence of grinding and potion hoarding and the atmosphere is well done with lots of interesting, well written lore tidbits lying around that you can find.Anyways, check it out if you enjoy tactical turn based games or RPGs. Or just something that's really difficult. It's free and just got its official 1.00 release.

Worth mentioning too that the one man dev team is a fanatic who's released something like 5 updates in the past 2 weeks. The community as a whole is probably one the nicest and most helpful I've seen.
    Last edited by noxnoctum; 01-01-2013 at 03:42 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    http://te4.org/

Intriguing.

Obscure Node
    Yeah it's a great game. Dont forget to vote for Steam Greenlight
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=93674769

Activated Node
    Looks nice, it reminds me of an old game I played about 20 years ago.
    Can't remember the name though, it was also a top-down 2d rogue-like with rpg elements and when you died
    the text said "Another one bites the dust...". ring a bell for anyone?

Edit: took some searching , but I found it! :D it was Castle of Winds
    Last edited by XisLoose; 01-01-2013 at 10:40 AM.

It it is a great roguelike / RPG, loads of variety and depth to it for a one man indie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It looks intriguing but then every post in this thread reads like spam - like spam CHEAP PERFUME for a one man indie. thank you

;)

Activated Node
    Ya it does look like spam, but they all registered at least a few months ago (except rayen) so I don't think it is :/. I just thought it's a game that might appeal to some RPS people so I posed here.

Well mine only looks like spam because the bugger below me didn't quote properly :p

I also still need to get round to adding an avatar.

That looks worth a look. Downloading.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Cheers, looks like a game to lose some hours to!
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Nice one! Been playing it for the past hour, it's good stuff.

This is pretty great, wish I could unlock some of the more juicy classes though. Only managed to get Archmage and Summoner so far and the summoner really isn't for me. The Arcane Blade was awesome while he lasted, only got him to about level 15 though,

And on Twitter

Activated Node
    There's a way to unlock everything without having to do the work, I'm having trouble finding the info right now though. I'm sure it's somewhere on the official forums if you dig around.

Although normally I hate unlocks I appreciate them somewhat in TOME because even when you inevitably die you still achieved something for the next go round ;).

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    Ive played quite a bit of this, and it suffers the same problems many roguelikes do. Starts off slow, peters out.
    First boss you beat, you are level 5/6. Then you do all the other starting dungeons, and crush them. That is quite grindy, i think. Then move on to the next tier of dungeons. Thats where things are interesting, i think. You arent always the ideal level, depending on race, but it should mostly be doable. Those pass, onto The Master, which can be quite annoying, i think. There is quite a bit of super strong possible enemies that give you the old insta-death the game is supposedly trying to avoid. After that, i think a character strong enough just grinds out the dungeons to the end.

Still, that middle part was quite fun, just lacking in decision making a bit.
    Some fantastic things are the addons, i really recommend the "old school rpg" grapgics pack, replaces the one you usually see with sprite stuff, and no traps addon, not to make the game easier, but to improve the flow of the autoexplore. Traps just stop you too often.

My favourite class is probably Archmage, i love having 3 beam spells with 3 turn cooldown each. Just sit in one spot and nuke everything before it comes close! I think the two unlocks for the archmage are stupid and boring, though. Do 1million damage of cold and 1 of fire through all playthroughs. Just takes to long, and you kind of need them to finish with an archmage speccing in those lines.

This post tells you how to edit a file to unlock everything. It might be a bit out of date now if new classes have been added recently but you should be able to work out how to add anything else you need.

I'm a huge fan of Tome and I usually go back to it with every new major release and end up playing nothing else for a couple of weeks. Very excited to see there was 1.0.0 release on NYE.
    Last edited by Dubbill; 02-01-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: added link...
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Bah! It kept me up til 3.30am on a work night, the sign of an evil game. I'm running as an Archmage at the moment, they can clear things a whole lot more quickly than any of the meleers I've tried and it's far easier to set up contingencies with their access to teleportation, shields and healing. Really enjoying it so far! I think the unlock method Dubbill shared might be outdated as I couldn't find the directory mentioned in that link for the 1.0 version of the game. Perhaps I just need to 'man-up' and unlock them the proper way.

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This has a really great interface.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I think the unlock method Dubbill shared might be outdated as I couldn't find the directory mentioned in that link for the 1.0 version of the game. Perhaps I just need to 'man-up' and unlock them the proper way.
    My bad. I should have checked before posting. allow_build.profile is found in C:\Users\BillUpstairs\T-Engine\4.0\profiles\offline\modules\tome. Open it with Wordpad to make it easier to read and edit.

The file I linked to is missing some classes and races. You can find a more up-to-date list here. It's obviously a bit cheeky to bypass the intended unlock system but some of the requirements are quite tricky to meet if you are playing casually. My preferred mode is Infinite Dungeon which doesn't allow you to unlock anything so that's how I justify it to myself.

I'm confused, does this have anything to do with the Angband variant called ToME (Tales of Middle Earth) or is it a completely unrelated game?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Yes, it has its roots in Angband but has been re-written from the ground up. It's been renamed to Tales of Maj’Eyal for copyright reasons.